Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

New Comic - Untamed Highway

Pages: 1 2 replies

One of my customers sent me an e-mail telling me about a new comic he and another guy just came out with, it's called "Untamed Highway"

The description reads: Untamed Highway is THE underground, self published comic book that scratches the underbelly of vanished American Pop Culture. It is a road trip freak show slapstick mystery, cartoon noir, with tiki bars, Kreeps, Kustom Kulture, cars, shmoes, a poisonous drinking bird and an uptight sock puppet, freaks, Exotica, Film Noir, a secret Shriner like Society, hypnotism, gorilla mask, tikis, Roadside Attractions, and Tor!

Thought I'd share it with y'all as it looks promising. You can check out his site at http://www.untamedhighway.com

Looked at the site. Here's what's weird:

In the opening panel, Sydney, the protagonist, approaches a tiki bar. There is a big tiki out front, and he greets it with "Hello, Irving."

"Irving" is the name of one of MY tikis! My Secondary Tiki, in fact! (My Primary Tiki's name is "Melvin.") How's that for putting a chill down your spine?

Definitely ordering this comic ....

TC

I just recently got a copy of this comic. It's fun and I recommend it. Here are some excerpts from a review I posted on some other sites:

Take a Ride on the Untamed Highway

Recently, I picked up an issue of Untamed Highway, an underground comic book that “scratches the underbelly of vanished American Pop Culture.”

... Untamed Highway is self-published by its co-creators, Noah Snodgrass and Shawn Dickinson. Noah and Shawn met over a conversation about Ren and Stimpy and discovered they shared many of the same influences, such as the work of Basil Wolverton, Wallace Wood, Robert Crumb and Ed Roth.

Set in a “mid-century netherworld,” Untamed Highway tells the tale of how Sydney Drake (the story’s protagonist) haplessly stumbles upon the Eye in the Wasteland (a Shriner-esque secret society obsessed with Americana and roadside attractions) in an attempt to evade his arch nemesis, Bananas Barofsky (a thuggish villain permanently trapped inside a gorilla mask).

Untamed Highway #1 is a very fun read chocked full of screwball illustrations. Much of this issue is set in a lavishly illustrated tiki bar called Idol Hans (Hans is the name of the bartender). Every character is, indeed, a character that may be best described using adjectives unfortunately not so en vogue these days, such as dingbat, dimwitted, wacky, and hardboiled.

Yes, this comic is a real gas! And for only $3.95, it’s well worth checking out.

To find out more and to view more illustrations visit http://www.untamedhighway.com

[ Edited by: Tiki Chris on 2005-07-05 16:50 ]

Pages: 1 2 replies