Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

TIKI STYLE out now, plus Tiki Archeology docu now on DVD

Pages: 1 22 replies

Yeah, they thought TIKI STYLE was a better name than TIKI ICON, I personally would have preferred the word play of Tiki/Ikon (I-Kon Tiki), but alas, here it is, the Reader’s Digest version of the Book of Tiki, also referred to as
Lil’ Book of Tiki, SON of BOOK OF TIKI!, Mini Tiki (not Mini Me), Tiki Travelers Companion, the little red book of Tiki, Pocketiki, the...(got any more?)

As I mentioned before, this is a $9.99 pocket version of the big book, edited down and newly laid out by me. Since I did not get paid much for doing this, out of principle I added no new images (and no new text). I also made sure that the cover stayed the same so people would not mistake it for a new book by me. But I enlarged and resituated a lot of images that I liked in the big book and felt were represented too small, like the only authentic photo of the first Palm tree in California and the Fresno Tropicana place mat rendering. A few enlargements, like the Papeete Room at the Dallas Ports of Call came out a bit grainy, but in general I am very happy with the look and feel of this little ditty, it’s quite pretty. Would have made a nice x-mas present if they could have gotten it here A LITTLE EARLIER!

And now my mea culpa: For above mentioned reasons, I simply cut out some chapters, dropped the captions, and shortened the text when space restrictions made it necessary. I did not want to be bothered with rewriting text. Once I held the first copy, I realized I made two bad mistakes, both for which Bamboo Ben will hate me (and Al, and Casey for one):

1.) I did not correct Eli Hedley’s name from Ely to Eli :(, and
2.) I should have noticed and rewritten the ending of the Motel chapter, because now it still reads:
“....The Palm Springs Tropics is the most elaborate, although the “Reef” bar has recently been renovated in the Mexican motif. (Ouch!) Hopefully the rediscovery of Palm Springs as a hub of mid century modernism will aid the preservation of this rare Tiki Temple...”
which was true in 2000, but now is misleading and ignores the splendid, free job Ben and Al did at the Reef. I beg forgiveness, guys, wish I would have caught that before.

Another faux pas: I enlarged the Aku Aku apartments photo so all could better appreciate the sleek modern Moai in front, but only afterwards did I notice the picture (and the sign) were flipped. ARRGH!

One last anecdote from the book publishing world:
Taschen made a deal with OLD NAVY, who wants to sell the Tiki Ikon at their stores, plus some greeting cards (12 cards with 4 motifs from the BOT).
What irony though that I, Mr European free thinker nudist camp kid, was asked to supply alternative images for all frontal nudity pix to make the Old Navy copies family friendly. My pal Jeff Berry rightfully quipped “That proofs what B.S. their name is, would they really be Old Navy they would dig just that very stuff!” So soon (supposedly in March) you will see another version of "Tiki Style", with the same title but altered cover, and 9 new (and “decent”) images at your local hip bargain clothing retailer.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki on 2005-01-12 17:12 ]

Great news Sven! I can't wait! Here's a link to it on Amazon.com:

Tiki Style on Amazon.com

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2004-12-30 00:00 ]

Great job, Sven !!
I walked into my local bookstore at 4pm on Xmas eve looking for some stocking stuffers and lo and behold, a saw your book. I love it. Clear/concise and gorgeous photos - like the original, just more "user friendly" for the " now what exactly is Tiki?" crowd. I bought a bunch of 'em and pleased many Tiki-curious family members that night. I also bought a few for the Conga - proudly displayed on our cofee tables as we speak !!

I realized I made two bad mistakes, both for which Bamboo Ben will hate me (and Al, and Casey for one):

1.) I did not correct Eli Hedley’s name from Ely to Eli , and
2.) I should have noticed and rewritten the ending of the Motel chapter, because now it still reads:
“....The Palm Springs Tropics is the most elaborate, although the “Reef” bar has recently been renovated in the Mexican motif. (Ouch!) Hopefully the rediscovery of Palm Springs as a hub of mid century modernism will aid the preservation of this rare Tiki Temple...”
which was true in 2000, but now is misleading and ignores the splendid, free job Ben and Al did at the Reef. I beg forgiveness, guys, wish I would have caught that before.

Sven,
You can make it all up when you write that book "Crazy-Bamboo. Ben and Al's Tiki Adventures" . How's it coming by the way?

M

Mr. Lemoore is far too modest and decent a person to mention this, so I will: If you are going to buy the Tiki Style book through Amazon, please do so with the link that Hanford provided above. By doing so, Amazon will kick a little back to Hanford which will go toward the running of Tiki Central. Basically, everyone's a winner!

Having said that, if there is a way to buy the book directly from Sven that will increase the $$$ in Herr Kirsten's pockets, we should be advised about that, too. bigbro?

On that note, I just viewed Hanford's link. I saw Tiki Style listed for $9.99 and there was a "used" button. I clicked it and found a book for under $9.99 by a few cents, in the comments section it says its brand new. I also saw Tiki Style listed by one seller for $21.63! I just want everyone to know that its always best to spend less for stuff. The more things you buy at a higher cost the faster you run out of money, don' t ask me how that works, its all economics and stuff and I haven't had that class since 10th grade. Trust me on this, don't buy the $21.63 copy and your money will last longer. But Sven, don't get me wrong, Tiki Style is worth twice that at half the cost...you do the math. I LOVE Tiki Style...I'm just not IN love with it. Congratulations Sven, especially for the Old Navy conquest, that is really exciting. I hope it opens up new doors for your future projects.

You can make it all up when you write that book "Crazy-Bamboo. Ben and Al's Tiki Adventures" . How's it coming by the way?

I am currently getting inspired for it by listening to a newly found version of "The Big Bamboo", this one "actually recorded at the BIG BAMBOO CLUB, Nassau, Bahamas, by the BIG BAMBOO ORCHESTRA" in 1961.

Conga Mike, glad you found some BEFORE X-mas!

Martiki, I have received some free copies, but they are going fast as giveaways, Crazy Al, Purple Jade and Polynesian Pop won one each at the Tiki Kuki contest, Jeff Berry is getting a bunch for his contribution, and so on.
So go ahead, order them via the TC link, and strengthen the community.

Deleted because of being a double post...(HOW can one delete erroneous, space wasting double posts completely?)

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki on 2005-01-05 14:00 ]

Sven,
Thanks so much for the new book. Christian says, "Thank you Santa! I'm glad you liked the pufferfish cookie. But you didn't drink all of the milk."

He's been glued to it, looking at the pictures and carries it in his backpack to school too!

B

Congrats Sven,

Good luck on the Tiki Style book. I will surely order a few of them. Any update on the Witco book you are working on?

I will definetly pick this up on my next L.A. visit. I'm curious though, what became of the Disneyland Enchanted Tiki Room material? Is it still there? Altered in any way?
Your curious friend,
Louis

Louis, there was only room for the classic poster, and the shirt (which, by the way, is slated to be reissued as one of the Disney 50th anniversary items)

Boy, guess the e-bay post just shows that some people shop thru e-bay only now, no matter what the cost. Denny, your advive went unheeded. But it is a good preview of the Mini-BOT, very crisp scans (which take forever to download!)

Poly Pop, I am glad...wait---Oh no, what did we do! I forgot about all that dangerous nudity we are exposing your son to! Should have waited til the clean Old Navy version was out! Sigh, another innocent young mind corrupted by the Tiki cult.

Tiki Junkman- If I would just stop answering all these posts, maybe the Witco book would get finished :wink:

TR

Big Bro
Looking forward to it, maybe you could get a copy placed in the nightstand in every room at the Tropics.
Aloha

I just agreed to help my girlfriend Naomi to justify her higher price of $12.95 per copy (her store does not get the big dealer discounts for her small orders) by signing her copies, they will be available soon on http://www.8ballwebstore.com/online-store/scstore/
if someone wants one with my ink in it.

Hey Sven!
Thanks for another great book.
Enjoying it very much.
Regards

£4.99 in the UK, so that makes it a genuine rarity in the fact that it's a Tiki item that you can get cheaper over here than in the States.

I must point out that at £6.99 for the proper paperback full size Book of Tiki, the extra £2 spent at Amazon.co.uk is money worth spending.

Trader Woody

As mentioned earlier, fo a little mo you can get TIKI STYLE signed by the author (who!?) at http://www.8ballwebstore.com/ (under home decor, or scroll down)
and now also my Tiki Archeology video (which sofar only existed on VHS) on DVD.

Take note though that, if you own it on tape already, the quality of the DVD is merely VHS-ish, it will have that "vintage video" look....hey, it cost me lots extra in post for that effect! :wink:

And while you're at it, that Jim Flora book is a must, sooooo cool!

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki on 2005-01-12 17:06 ]

What about this DVD that was mentioned. Did I miss it in the text of the previous posts?

http://www.8ballwebstore.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2005-01-13 11:58 ]

K

Old Navy now has "Tiki Style" for $3.75. I picked up 4 copies the other day to use as giveaways to friends and family who want to know more about tiki.

T

I was just at Old Navy today and the tiki style book here is still at its same price. If it does go down to that price, like there clothes do, I will certainly buy one.
Checked out that 8ball website and didn't see a tiki movie. I typed tiki in the search

K

I was just at Old Navy today and the tiki style book here is still at its same price. If it does go down to that price, like there clothes do, I will certainly buy one.

Chances are good that it is $3.75 and just not marked. I didn't know about the discount until I was being rung up...and then I grabbed two more copies. Next time you're there ask a cashier to check the price.

Pages: 1 22 replies