Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Any cool tiki suggestions for trip to Australia?

Pages: 1 5 replies

TD

I have some family visiting Australia in 2005 and I'm collecting some must-see info for them, but of course, I'd like my list to include some tiki sites. They are going to be in Sydney and then head off to western Australia. I'm looking for tiki-related stuff as well as any off-the-beaten-path suggestions.

Smorgy's.

Several locations in various Australian cities (sorry, I don't have TRT in front of me, but they're listed there).

TD

Thank you for the suggestion. Any and all ideas are appreciated!

B

Yes, stop at New Zealand on the way.

H

There doesn't seem to be a lot of tiki stuff (at least of the midcentury Poly Pop we like) in Australia. As James mentioned, there is a chain called Smorgy's in several locations in Victoria, but it appears to be a sort of cross between Chuck E. Cheese and Trader Vic's. Or Rainforest Cafe and, er, Rainforest Cafe. Doesn't look particularly promising.

There is a place called the Outrigger on Hamilton Island in Queensland, looks like it's a sort of upscale resort restaurant, it's probably only vaguely Polynesian at best.

Melbourne has the Outre Gallery, an art gallery along the lines of La Luz de Jesus (think Shag).

Full details including hours & addresses & whatnot are available in Critiki:

Australian tiki locations in Critiki

TD

Thank you so much for the information. I truly appreciate the ideas.

Pages: 1 5 replies