Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

bleaching wood

Pages: 1 3 replies

D

I'm looking for affect on woood (doug fir) , I want a look of silvery/gray, like a piece of drifwood. I trying bleaching a tangaroa that I burned and than bushed . The tiki has the feel of a piece of drifwood. Any suggestions, tips?

B

The best way will take a while. Just finish the piece and sand it down and leave it raw wood.put it out in the weather for a few months where it will get full sun along with rain and stuff. when it reaches the proper "Silver/Grey" color you are seeking, bring it indoors and there you will have it. on't coat it with anything or that color will dissappear. You can get the "Driftwood" color in a stain but it Ain't the same.

D

Thank you, I had an idea that would be the way to go. I had not thought about not sealing ,leaving it naked to the wind, sun, and rain. Cool,the tiki that I burnt,bushed and now bleaching, is turning out to be lighter color that some of my other ones. I will post pic. as soon as I get them back.

D

The master (Benzart)has spoken ,and I'll try it on a later tiki. If I can wait that long. I'm looking for other kinds of homemade stains,does anyone have some sugestion?

Pages: 1 3 replies