Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

What, no Artie Shaw fans.

Pages: 1 7 replies

RIP.

Honestly I thought he was already dead. And with all of the death and destruction in the last week, I think a good deal of people are just plain numb.

It is a shame, another name to add to those we lost this year...

TG

Artie Shaw ... I honestly thought he had already passed away.

Man, his Begin the Beguine was just the best. Anyone who hears that and doesn't get chills down their spine and want to spend all night dancing with someone, that person must be a pretty poor excuse for a human being.

1. Wow. Made a nice pile of dough. Married beautiful women. Thought there was something a little disturbing about Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby, way before anyone else did.

Here's to you, Artie.

T

Found out about his passing over dinner tonight while doing a gig with a bunch of jazz cats. They did some of his tunes as a tribute; sadly not many of the NYE revelers in attendance 'got it'. :(

The man's contribution can't be overstated.

E
ecm posted on Sun, Jan 2, 2005 1:43 PM

to me , the count was the man. but the world is always a lesser place , when an innovator leaves.

Like you guys, I was surprised to hear that Artie was not already deceased.
I loved his music! Grew up on alot of that older stuff and it gave me a great (if not obscure) sence of musical appreciation.

Shaw, Goodman, the Dorseys...so many of those older big band / swing artists were (and are) my favorites.

I was sorry to hear of his pasing, but...yeah, I thought he was already gone.

Salute!

A cool frined of mine named Marisa was hit on by Artie Shaw. The way she tells me the story she was about 19 at the time and met Artie Shaw at a party and he put his arm around her waist, pressed up close to her, adn said, "You would be fun to have around the house".

Thsi was about 5 years ago.

God bless you Artie Shaw.

D

Sam-that story pretty much sums up how he treated women.

Pages: 1 7 replies