Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

this, that and the other thing....

Pages: 1 6 replies

happy new year all!! hope everyone made it through safely....
this month will mark the long overdue opening of chicago's first "posh" tiki bar in the south burbs. The canoe club is set to open towards the end of this month. It's a big place, sort of a high end tropical club with a huge fish tank in the center of the bar with black tip sharks circling the coral. huge ceilings and skylights plus a thirty foot high waterfall that cascades down between two tall rows of wine racks. The outside of the building was designed to look like a giant balinese tiki hut. It even has gas fed torches and a car port like the old places used to have. I dragged king kukulele down there when he was in town for a sneak preview. i'll post more about the grand opening and what not as it gets closer to completion.
On another note, I'll be re-vamping my dsk designs website, adding more items and giving the site a whole new look. Also, I am opening a low-brow gallery in the next couple of months mainly focusing on the local talent of midwest low-brow artists. It will feature original works and prints by artists Paul Moch, Mitch O'Connell, voodoo LG, Deacon and many more. I have an ad in tiki magazine and both sites should be ready by the time the magazine hits your mailbox. I'll be sending out a call to artists in the next month or so who would like their work to be shown in the gallery. more on that later...

Aloha Dave...

Even though it is a "posh" club do you think they might have any interest in tikis there? Let them know there is a carver nearby... contact me and I can get in touch with them...

Mahalo!

hey lake,

I am in the process of doing some work for them but i do know that they need some tikis in certain locations, mainly under the car port roof they have two tall pedastals that require two tikis. I am not a carver, thus i could not help them in that area but i would be willing to pass your info on to them. time is running out so you may have to sell them something you already carved. pm me and i can give you the info.

-tips

D

Tipsy,where in the south 'burbs? Would love to check it out-sounds terrif.

My sister-in-law was just telling us about this, is it in Orland Park?

yes- the bar is in orland park. If i can remember correctly( only been there twice), it's on ravinia, which is off of 94th and 151 st. It's a haul from chicago into a surburban sprawling nightmare, so I wouldn't plan any exotica's or hukilaus at it anytime soon.....not trying to discourage anyone from visiting, by all means, it will definately be worth a trip out for dinner and a drink. The outdoor veranda alone is worth having cocktails on in the summer evening. Also, on occasion, live entertainment in the possible form of the cocktail preachers(surf band) and the penthouse playboys (vegas style lounge band) . If kukulele ever makes it back this spring for a repeat performance at tabu tiki nights, he may end up playing a night or two out there. It's all on the table at this point......

Dave,

Haven't heard from anyone yet... and I have a bunch of tikis ready to go... let them know I can make a trip down with a carload for them to pick from... mahalo!

Pages: 1 6 replies