Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Philadelphia Tiki Mummers

Pages: 1 18 replies

S

Did anyone see the New Years Day Mummers Parade. One string band had a "Maui-Wowie" theme with dancing life-sized tikis. Kool! Why didn't they have this last year when I was in Philly for the parade?

Z

I saw it, and thought it was just amazing.

The really strange part is that we don't get that channel (WGN) normally, and I only tuned in for the two string bands before the tiki one, then when the tiki performance was over, the show changed abruptly to the middle of a scene in an episode of "Farscape" or some show like that. (Twilight Zone music)

On top of that, no one in our household has ever seen a mummer's parade, or heard of string bands, and to see the spectacle that they put on, well, we all watched as if transfixed. Every so often, someone would say, "Where is this happening?!"

I especially liked the part where the mahi mahi on sticks are reversed to become the coconut palm leaves. I don't think I've ever (or ever will again) see so many sequins and tikis combined again!

What are mummers, and where can one get footage of this?

S

Mummers are an organization of clubs who form string bands and parade every New Years Day in Philly. It is a wild time -- similar to Mardi Gras in New Orleans. They are famous for their extravagant costumes -- lots of feathers and sequins. I have a copy of the parade that I taped on New Years Day, if you want it. Also, more information can be found at "Mummers.com". I also have photos from last year.

O

This brings back childhood memories.....
I lived in Philadelphia for three years as a child. The Mummers parade was always something to look forward to. though I can not remember how the tradition started, I have fond memories of the Mummers stroll and the Mummers parade museum. Sorry this is not an informative post about Mummers, but just sparked some very fond memories. I am sure there are many Mummers websites and, if I recall correctly, the museum has a site.
ps funny that swizzled and I were writing at the same time, look above for an informative post

[ Edited by: tikitanked on 2005-01-04 15:08 ]

FINALLY - someone has confirmed the existence of Mummery for Mr. P! He was having a hard time wrapping his head around the splendor that is the Mummers! I lived in Philly my first 26 years, and have many fond (?) memories of freezing my butt off as a child, sitting on the curb on Broad Street, watching the parade and not quite understanding the concept of public drunkenness (I'm very familiar with the concept now...) I am going to Philly next week, and will try to track a tape! How cool!
mrs. pineapple

Are the Mummers admitting women yet?

yes, they have been for a while, at least since I lived there last. Which I just realized was 12 years. I think next year I drag Mr. Pineapple back for Christmas and New Years.

The Mummers are/were notoriously, ummm, close minded. Didn't jump right on the integration thing either. Kind of weird for a bunch of guys in makeup, eh? :wink:

S

Yes, in fact, the Irish American String Band has a female captain this year.

On 2005-01-04 18:02, mrs. pineapple wrote:
The Mummers are/were notoriously, ummm, close minded. Didn't jump right on the integration thing either. Kind of weird for a bunch of guys in makeup, eh? :wink:

They don't sound all that different from the guys who "camp" at the Bohemian Grove every summer. :roll:

HT

Check philly.net they post photos of the mummers every year. For the last 2 years, I spent New Year's Day on 2nd, by the mummer museum. The final hangout of the mummer parade. And this year, had surgery in pittsburgh, FREAKIN MISSED IT! Sven, I'll found out which mummer troupe it was for you, I've got some friends that are mummers. I'll do my damdest to find some info and pictures.

Tiki is great-Tiki be praised:
Continuing to inspire some strange pop subculture somewhere, even those that no one has ever heard about!

And to top it, most of the time there is someone on Tiki Central who who knows someone inside that esoteric cult! Thanks, HT.

Swizzled, thanks for the offer of the tape, will you be at the Hawaiian Inn weekend?

S

Sven, Maui Wowie was performed by The Uptown String Band and they placed 9th. The Mummers Museum is at the corner of 2nd Street and Washington Avenue. Photos are on the Mummers.com site -- click "2005 Parade Photos". If I had been a judge, the life-sized tikis would have won! HA! Fat chance.

When is the Hawaiian Inn shindig?

Z

The Uptown string Band has a website featuring a great photo gallery of their past themes. http://www.uptownstringband.com

In 1980, their theme was "Holiday in Hawaii"
This is a lot less flamboyant and glittery than the spectacle they put on this year. This year's had tikis galore, and a smoking volcano finale.

I tried the http://www.mummers.com site twice today and always got derailed (after a long wait to log on), can't somebody put the 2005 pix into this thread?

S

Try the following link, if "Mummers.com" is busy:

http://philadelphia.about.com/library/gallery

Click on "2005 Mummers Parade Photos" and scroll down to "Uptown"

S

Wow, that's surreal! DooDaers, take heed.
They actually can play listenable music like that?

The music is really good, I think in March they have the 'show of shows' where the stringbands play at the big basketball arena (it's not the Sprectrum anymore...don't know what it's called) They bring banjoes to a new level!

Side note: any other native Philadelphians have the band at a family wedding play "golden slippers' and watch as your whole familly does the 'mummer's strut' around? I remember my brothers holding their suit jackets up over their heads...

ahhh, you can the girl outta Philly...

Pages: 1 18 replies