Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Song of the Islands (Jan 7-9) El Segundo

Pages: 1 7 replies

TB

Unfortunately I won't be able to go, but just down the street from Purple Orchid this weekend will be a 1940's Hawaiian classic that has Hilo Hattie in it. I have no idea if there are any Tiki's in it or not, or Tiki Bars for that matter...but it's definitely the appropriate time period.

And (again) it's only a stumbling distance to the Purple Orchid.

http://www.otmh.org/

[ Edited by: Tiki Baron on 2005-01-03 18:34 ]

Thanks for the posting. It's pretty amazing that there are establishments that will put on a show such as this.

I will get showtimes and post them later today. I might be able to go Friday and I'll try to get people together for that. Rebecca's parents will be in town Saturday and we are celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary.

The Old Town Music Hall is a fascinating place. They show silent films accompanied by a huge Wurlitzer pipe organ. The have a very good organist and he plays the score originally written for the film. Since the movie this weekend has sound, they will probably show a short silent and demonstrate the organ. It is a rare and beautiful instrument. If you have never seen this kind of show, you really should go at least once as there is nothing else like it anywhere else in LA.

Show times Friday and Saturday at 8:15 PM
Admission is $7. There are also matinee showings on Saturday and Sunday but they don't give the time on the phone message.
There is a comedy short and a sing-a-long before the film.

Rebecca and I will try to go to the Friday show if anyone wants to join us.
Drinks at the Purple Orchid before and after!

Naomi and I will try to make it to the Fri 8:15 show, and come by for a nightcap after.

Here's a review of the film, sounds like one of us wrote it:

Author: Tiki-4

Great 1940s World War II Pacific island fantasy movie. The colors are so bright they almost can't be real. Victor Mature and Jack Oakie head to an island where Betty Grable lives in tropic splendor with her father (Thomas Mitchell - Gerald O'Hara from "Gone With The Wind", same Irish accent too by the way...). The music is just fantastic, Harry Owens and his orchestra are incredible, the classic Hula Comedienne Hilo Hattie is on hand as Palola to provide comic relief in her attempts to land Jack Oakie (Jack is afraid of Palola's Cannibal uncle however...). Gloriously non-politically correct in the way that only classic movies can be. Betty Grable in a grass skirt, (wow!) no wonder all the G. I. s you speak to from that time were crazy about her!

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki on 2005-01-06 20:31 ]

P

This sounds great. I will also try to make the 8:15 show after work (since I work in El Segundo anyway) and drinks at the Purple Orchid before or after (maybe both!).

I spoke to Bob, one of the theater owners, last night. He says they have a good print of the movie which is apparently hard to find. He told me he saw Hilo Hattie perform with this orchestra in the early 50's. Pretty risque for the times! They are going to have a sing-along and a short film. Yes, the Wurlitzer will be in full swing for the event. Rebecca and I are going and we will probably bring her parents who are celebrating their 50th anniversary this weekend, so have a drink with Hans and Emily! We will probably be in the bar by 7:30 and then again after the show.

Sven, Naomi, Paul, Rebecca and I had a great time seeing this picture. The acting was campy, the songs were campy, and the big musical number at the end mixes Irish Jig and Hula! The Wurlitzer was in full swing, the Laurel and Hardy silent short was very funny, and Rebecca smuggled in a whole pitcher of Mai Tais!

Pages: 1 7 replies