Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Don Ho Block Print

Pages: 1 4 replies

TC

Here's my latest! I like this one (in that so bad it's good sort of way). Anyway, I got a couple of extras set aside for any centralites out there willing to trade or pay for the postage for me to mail it to you.

You can email me at

[email protected]

if interested.

The print is actually a much brighter emerald green but my ultra cheap digital camera didn't seem to appreciate this fact. The size of the print is about 10 inches by 10 inches.

Cheers,
Tiki Chris

T

Are there a lot of Don Ho fans out there? Or is it a more, uh, specialized taste?

My mom bought me a few Don Ho albums cause she knows I collect hawaiian records, but I collect mostly for the covers of the exotic maidens (I put 'em in my restoration hardware LP frames) than for the music. I think most of it is pretty generic. However, I'm all into trading stuff if people want - maybe I should put together a list of all my records and if any of you are interested in them maybe I trade for spare mugs?

I have many many records. But no one is geting my Percussive Pineapples!

(sorry to go OT Chris - but at least I bumped your thread!)

I admit it. I like Don Ho. He was pretty popular when I was about 10 years old and my parents used to play his albums on the stereo. Now I have most of his lps. In my opinion, the records he did with the Ali'is and the songs he covered by Kui Lee were among his best. Unfortunately, Don tried to go mainstream (non-Hawaiian stuff) and he had this awful TV show which hurt his career -- then there was his drinking and America's post Vietnam aversion to things and people that looked or seemed Asian. But I like to play his records now and then, and wish I could see him perform before he's gone. "I'll Remember You" and "Koolau Hills" are two of my favs.

TC

bump away! btw, i still got one of these don ho prints left if anybody wants it.
chris

On 2002-10-07 20:08, Kailuageoff wrote:
Unfortunately, Don tried to go mainstream (non-Hawaiian stuff) and he had this awful TV show which hurt his career...

I can remember back when I was a really young whippersnapper watching that show & LOVING IT!

I'm sure it was terrible, but I just thought the beach w/ Diamondhead in the background, the aloha shirts & colours everywhere, the thatch, & the overall cheese factor were great! I think that show had a lot to do w/ why I eventually got so into Hawaiiana, Polynesian Pop, & tiki.

I would love to see some old episodes of that show...or maybe I'm better off w/ my memories not being jolted by reality.

Tiki Chris

Pages: 1 4 replies