Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki Magazine Q & A Requests

Pages: 1 35 replies

Hello All,

Nicktiki has asked me to do a Q&A column for his wonderful new Tiki Magazine ala "Dear Abby." So who's got advice questions for the Queen of Doo Dah? Now the sky's the limit here. The questions may be tiki or just general Bachelor Pad focussed. Just keep it polite and gentlemanly please.

Remember, I can only answer a few question per issue... Please post them here or PM me...

Mahalo
~CC

M

What kind of a Q&A forum is it?

Dear Abby tends to focus on relationship issues that would probably be too personal for a zine like this.

Are they research type questions? Like what is the history behind the Tiki Ti?

Are they music scene questions like where do I go to see cool lounge acts in a tiki setting?

Has any consideration been given to an artizan forum where newbies ask questions about carving techniques, mold making, favorite products (spar varnish vs-lacquer).

Questions questions and more questions

Hello Mr. Monkeyman!

This is to be a more light-hearted lifestyle/etiquette column. I do not profess to have deep knowledge of carving techniques, but perhaps I could help you dress up your table for your next luau? Or tell you the proper way to present a tiki mug as a present? Maybe even suggest music for an exotic mood... And yes, although personal, relationship questions could be fair game as long as they petain to tiki somehow.

Take a look at my diary to see the kinds of things I am well versed in... http://www.cherrycapri.com/diary/

MG

Cherry, I think that's cool... I was hoping that you would be able to do something like this. I told Nick that I thought it would be great to have you involved.

Any chance of catching you in a "Wahine of the Month" centerfold someday?

Love ya!

Oh ya, my friend has a crush on you!

http://www.fallingcocos.com

[ Edited by: MEAN GENE on 2005-01-06 14:51 ]

T

Will there be a tiki band section with interviews with various tiki bands?

Will there be a tiki bong section with interviews with various tiki bong?

darlings.
i don't know about the editorial content of the magazine - those are questions for Nick in his own thread. https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=12292&forum=1&32

I am simply soliciting "Dear Cherry" questions in this thread ala... "Dear Cherry, How should I prepare the apple before I stuff it in my luau pig's mouth?"

UB

*On 2005-01-06 16:38, Cherry Capri wrote:*I am simply soliciting "Dear Cherry" questions in this thread ala... "Dear Cherry, How should I prepare the apple before I stuff it in my luau pig's mouth?"

I was gonna say.... and you want us to be "gentlemanly" by starting a question with "Dear Cherry". :)
Cherry, I bet your gonna be great!
Oh ya, if I need a date, where does the "soliciting" come in?
(That wasn't polite Unga)

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2005-01-06 19:31 ]

What is the proper way to tell the opposite sex (let's say that you just met at the current soiree) to not double-dip at the fondue table?

Two-part question: **(a)**Is hard alcohol (vodka, rum, whiskey) considered improper to bring as a gift while visiting ones home in comparison to bringing wine, which some consider to be more "sophisticated"? **(b)**If bringing hard alcohol, is it too much to assume that your host will have all of the garnishes, mixers and accompaniments?

If you are served a cocktail that your host insists/guarantees that you will love, and you end up hating it from the first sip, how do you refrain from drinking it further without insulting the host?

Are "Maybe's" currently acceptable in response to R.S.V.P. requests, especially those with small children? (You never know if you can absolutely get a sitter or if your child will be sick.)

I've got more to ask, but I've got to get back to work! ha!

Is it socially acceptable to consume fondue with sushi rather than bread?

M

I was just about to post the Playboy pictures when I realised that you want "Q & A" not "T & A"!! :)

OK- What would the best way to dress up a table for a Tiki party?

Is it appropriate to go to a tiki bar on the first date with a wahine who doesn't drink?

If so, is it appropriate to have 3 or 4 and then make her drive home as she doesn't drink?

Or should you save it for the 2nd or 3rd date?

Speaking of the third date rule,

Are there ever any circumstances when the 3rd date rule would not apply, or would the 3rd date rule not being in effect be a clear indication that the relationship is not on track?

If the 3rd date rule always applies, when is the right to time on the 3rd date to say "your place or mine?"

Should one just show-up with an overnight bag or does one have to beat around the bush by euphemistically suggesting come inside to "check out my aquarium or tiki collection?"

[ Edited by: christiki295 on 2005-01-06 19:46 ]

On 2005-01-06 16:22, Tiki_Bong wrote:
Will there be a tiki band section with interviews with various tiki bands?

Yes!! I will be heading this department. Hopefully we will see the likes of I Belli Di Waikiki, Don Tiki, King Kukulele, Mai Kai Gents as well as a few other surprises.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

MG

Don't forget.... this is the "Dear Cherry" thread.

Some really good questions!!!

Any more???

Suppose I'm at a Hukilau, Luau, or other "au" related event, and while admiring the host's tiki mug collection, the Gods conspire against me and wretch the sculpture from my hands, causing it to smash to the floor. Should I try to repair it, or replace it? And, if replacing it, what if I can't find another like it?

Is it okay to copy Boobam Ben?

S

During the long, cold, and rainy winters up here in the NW, the Tikis in my back yard sometimes look sad. Is there a way that I can cheer them up ?

On 2005-01-19 09:22, seamus wrote:
During the long, cold, and rainy winters up here in the NW, the Tikis in my back yard sometimes look sad. Is there a way that I can cheer them up ?

I don't know what Cherry would do, but I would just slip on some real woolly socks and tennis shoes and run naked in front of them. That might put a warm smile on their faces.....then again it could really piss them off.

S

Already tried that... sober and drunk.

:lol:

Fire up the tiki torches.

Maybe the gods should be appeased, like so:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=1389&forum=1&vpost=11609

[ Edited by: christiki295 on 2005-01-19 21:00 ]

When planning a large party, what is the rule about inviting or not inviting co-workers? I would like to invite 10 or so, but 20 others (plus spouses) would be bitter. Is there any way to pull this off?

The laid-back NYer

http://www.NiceFishy.com

[ Edited by: Raffertiki 2005-10-19 04:24 ]

On 2005-01-19 13:33, Jungle Trader wrote:

I don't know what Cherry would do, but I would just slip on some real woolly socks and tennis shoes and run naked in front of them. That might put a warm smile on their faces.....then again it could really piss them off.

Have you tried the clothes hamper and chicken leg formula yet?

Dear Friends,

I have had such a good time writing for Nick's Tiki Magazine. Hope you will all get a copy of the Fall issue when it comes out as this month I'll be answering Christiki's question about dating and drinking!!!

Keep those "Dear Cherry" Questions coming please...

Cheers!
~CC

TG

Ok.....

If someone gives you a "gift" that's Tiki related because they think they know your taste in Tiki, but you just absolutely hate it, what do you do with it when they are coming over for cocktails? Should you put it out to display or leave it in the closet and answer questions about where it is the best you can???

... take a digital photo of it, put the image on your homepage (always prepare for memories)...

... tell the giftor that you, the giftee, were offered an unbelieveable amount of money for it and felt it best to sell such a prized item...

... remind them that the money you received from the sale was used to buy the alcohol being consumed at the cocktail party with enough left over to post bail after a guest is arrested for dui...

... works everytime...

If attending an event / party that is Tiki related - is it acceptable to wear a shirt that is not Hawaiian or vintage or floral like? If one should be inclined to wear a "tiki" related shirt should it be vintage or can it be one with cars and dog and such?

On 2005-10-19 11:58, sneakyjack wrote:
If attending an event / party that is Tiki related - is it acceptable to wear a shirt that is not Hawaiian or vintage or floral like? If one should be inclined to wear a "tiki" related shirt should it be vintage or can it be one with cars and dog and such?

Overall, we are a carefree lot. Feel free to wear anything you like. A word of warning , though. If you wear something we hate, we will say "put my drinks on that guy's tab" whenever we talk to the bartender!!! :)

Seriously, it adds to the tiki feeling if you wear something nice a tiki related.

OOPS, this was a question for Cherry Capri!

Have a nice Tiki Day!
If you like it,it is ZAZZ! If you don't, give it a RAZZ.

[ Edited by: mrsmiley 2005-10-19 12:33 ]

I'm disappointed, nay-- astonished that The Jab has been so quickly supplanted as the dispenser of sage, tiki-related advice around here...

M

On 2005-10-19 13:21, pappythesailor wrote:
I'm disappointed, nay-- astonished that The Jab has been so quickly supplanted as the dispenser of sage, tiki-related advice around here...

Maybe the Jab IS Cherry Capri! I don't recall seeing either of them in the same room ever! :)

Hey Cherry,
With the Christmas holidays right around the corner, how can I throw a swank holiday party that would mix traditional with the tropical.
I'd like my tiki collection to get into the act, but need a little of the traditional Christmas stuff too.
Thanks

On 2005-01-06 19:37, christiki295 wrote:
Is it appropriate to go to a tiki bar on the first date with a wahine who doesn't drink?

If so, is it appropriate to have 3 or 4 and then make her drive home as she doesn't drink?

Or should you save it for the 2nd or 3rd date?

This (along with the 3rd date rule) was not asked in jest.

Thank you, Cherri Capri, for the excellent advice!

T

Me and the wife, Make Santa hats for all of our tikis. Big and small. Even the mugs! You can also hang glass balls in your palm trees. That is if you have palm trees. And glass balls.

T

Here is one of our tikis sporting a Santa hat.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2005-12-07 16:02 ]

Pages: 1 35 replies