Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

The Unbroken Chain of Aloha Spirit

Pages: 1 33 replies

:tiki: ** The Unbroken Chain of Aloha Spirit :tiki:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Dear ____________________,

Enclosed you will find a small makana (gift). While it is of little value in earthly terms, it is endowed with Good Humor, Friendship, and the Aloha Spirit.

The chain cannot be broken! In order to capture the good luck and tiki karma contained in this small totem, you must follow these instructions precisely:

1. Make an offering to the tiki gods by presenting a similar gift to each of two Tiki Centralites (not the sender).

The first goes to an old friend, mentor, or cohort. This totem represents a shared vision and appreciation of all things tiki, and is an expression of friendship and kindness.

The second goes to a newer friend, brief acquaintance, or even a total stranger. This totem is an emissary of good tiki karma, and will open the doors of good fortune and camaraderie in the future.

Copy this letter and send it with the makanas to your chosen T.C. recipients

1. Logon to Tiki Central and post pix of your offerings in the “Unbroken Chain of Aloha Spirit” post in the Tiki Central “Main Discussion” Forum. This will please the tiki gods to no end.

Do not break the Chain of Aloha Spirit lest you anger the gods and incur their wrath!

Heed the Warning!

Signed

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++**

Well, I've gone & done it. Like the fabled atomic genie of the 50’s, the first TC Chain Letter has now been unleashed on the unsuspecting citizens of Tiki Central. Good, bad, or indifferent, here it comes!

** The first letter was sent out to Benzart with this small makana, a dashboard wahine **. Ben was the first guy to reply to my first post, and he’s been giving me carving tips ever since. A true pal here on TC, and a carver beyond compare.

** The second letter was sent out to Polynesian Pop with this makana, a little sufferin' bastard shot glass **. I met Adrian pretty recently, and he’s since given me lots of insight into the local tiki subculture. All around nice guy, collector extraordinaire.

**Okay, guys. Tag you’re it. Heed the warning and choose your victims carefully...

Cheers!

A-A**

(PS: Don't get too carried away. Neither one of these cost more than five clams, all in good fun!)

T

No disrespect to any TC member (hey, you know me), but I will personally kill anyone that sends me a chain letter.

UB

I have as much Aloha Spirit as the next guy, but 86 me from that list too please.
(Nothing personal AA)

Ah, chain letters... you either love 'em or hate 'em. Come to think of it, I hate 'em too!

Did I mention that anyone who replies to this post is fair game?

(Okay, just kidding...)

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

[ Edited by: Aaron's Akua on 2005-01-07 08:38 ]

P
pablus posted on Fri, Jan 7, 2005 9:19 AM

Auwe, Bong-Ho!
And I was going to send you that vintage Magnatone Lap Steel.

On 2005-01-07 09:19, pablus wrote:

Auwe, Bong-Ho!
And I was going to send you that vintage Magnatone Lap Steel.

Pab,

I'll only chain for you..

B

Alright now, who will I choose and what will I send???? Hmmmmm..?

B

Aaron. I received your gift today. Since I don't drive I'll mount her on my desk where she will get plenty of miles. Thanks. I've figured out What I'm sending just not to who yet.

On 2005-01-08 22:09, Benzart wrote:
...I'll mount her on my desk where she will get plenty of miles...

Okay, Ben. Don't let those wigglin' hips distract you from your work, now...

B

OK, what I'm sending out are these 2 Unfinished "Carving Lessons"

One goes to Raffertiki who has sent me wood in the past and is just starting to carve Small and I hope this helps a bit.
The other goes to Mr Dale who is fairly new here and wants so bad to learn how to carve. He already knows how, he just doesn't know it yet. This should help himI hope.
Maybe it isn't fair that I'm sending out incomplete items butthey are just part of the lesson.
Raffertiki and Mr Dale you can finish these to the best of your ability and if you need help you know how to find me.
The Unbroken Chain of Aloha Spirit

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Dear ____________________,

Enclosed you will find a small makana (gift). While it is of little value in earthly terms, it is endowed with Good Humor, Friendship, and the Aloha Spirit.

The chain cannot be broken! In order to capture the good luck and tiki karma contained in this small totem, you must follow these instructions precisely:

1. Make an offering to the tiki gods by presenting a similar gift to each of two Tiki Centralites (not the sender).

The first goes to an old friend, mentor, or cohort. This totem represents a shared vision and appreciation of all things tiki, and is an expression of friendship and kindness.

The second goes to a newer friend, brief acquaintance, or even a total stranger. This totem is an emissary of good tiki karma, and will open the doors of good fortune and camaraderie in the future.

Copy this letter and send it with the makanas to your chosen T.C. recipients

1. Logon to Tiki Central and post pix of your offerings in the “Unbroken Chain of Aloha Spirit” post in the Tiki Central “Main Discussion” Forum. This will please the tiki gods to no end.

Do not break the Chain of Aloha Spirit lest you anger the gods and incur their wrath!

Heed the Warning!

Aaron, I got my gift yesterday. Mahalo!

OK -- now, I have to figure out who's gonna be next on the list and what I'm going to send. Stay tuned....

MD

Man ya all, I love this Ben Guy!
Thanks Ben, As soon as I figure out who and what and how to copy that letter then BOOM, someone's had it!

I typically toss chain letters as soon as I get them, but this one is more an honor than a chain. I'll keep you posted once I figure out what and to who I'm sending.

Thank you Ben, and Aaron.

Okay, my decision is made. Sam Gambino has been very encouraging with my posts in Creating Tiki, and is an all-around nice guy. JTD is the first TCer to buy one of my prints, and one of the few I have actually met in person. I will be sending each of these pillars of the Tiki Central community a few "Marooned on the Mainland" mini prints each.

Tag you're it guys.

Outstanding!

What a nice surprise, Raffertiki! I've appreciated your encouragement as well. You're a good friend.

Since I must choose 2 different tiki freaks, I think I'll choose Tiki Toa for one - I still consider him a TC'er, and I know that he's had a rough few months.

For the second TC'er, I think Chongolio because he sent me some of his cool decals a while back as freebies, so now is my chance to send something to him. I'll be sending some of my tiki sign prints.

Also, I really appreciate everyone's encouragement. It really is priceless to me as an artist.

B

I'm Happy to see this letter continuing along its merry way through all our Hardened Tikiphiles. It's funny that you feel like "I Ain't sending no chain letter out, Not Me Ain't gonna Happen!, Then someone sends you this sweet little thang that makes you laugh and change your mind and for some reason Now you are tryin to call this sumpthin else, get excited about it, GO FOR IT, BOOM BAAM BAM. It's funny when you get your little gift, you think of all the little things friends have sent to you with no strings attatched, you remember sweet little thins and you look around and realize you be Happy, you realize sumpthin changed, snuck up on you, twisted your arm and made you laugh, made you happy.
Could it BE WORKING???Maybe jusst Maybe. Then you realize its payday. Thats why your Happy and thats why all your friends are hangin around,,, PayDay No Luck involved. No Sappy legend twisting fate, payday Huummpfh..Bah Humbug to all you believers.
:}

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2005-01-19 09:58 ]

J
JTD posted on Wed, Jan 19, 2005 7:01 PM

Wow! What a pleasant surprise. There are so many kind folks here, it'll be tough to narrow down my list to two lucky recipients. Stay tuned.

Thanks, Raffertiki

JTD

I got my package yesterday. It made my day despite a suckie work day. Thanks again Ben.

HT

I'm working on 2 things for 2 TC'ers, though I'm not sure who yet. It'll mean more to east coast Tikiphiles, but I have no "old friends" on TC yet. Soooo, we shall see. I will post pics when they are done and sent.

Toa asked me to post this, so here it is...

K Retzlaff: "I got the most amazing gift in the mail from Sam, it now hangs in my bedroom, what makes it special besides that it is from Sam, someone who I count as friend but that he choose to be a part of sharing the aloha spirit. At Hukilau I gave many mugs away to people like AlnShelley, Polypop, I even sent one to Kaiser in Germany. I did this because of the idea of sharing. I applaud Aaron on starting this and all of those that have choosen to be a part of it. THANKS SAM!!

Signed, Kelly C. Retzlaff

HT

So, I have no old friends, but I do have two people in mind. One person has shown me the spirit of ohana, and the other is a source of inspiration for me, and i think he could use a cheering up after recent events. when the items are done and packed, I will post pictures. ALOHA!

Aloha, Hale Tiki.

Thanks for jumping in with a new letter. Anyone who feels the urge, feel free to copy the letter, pick a couple of new or old friends, and share the Aloha, *and the Ohana *, Spirit.

I really like that, HT.

:) :) :)

Mahalo!

Aaron

B

Hey Aaron, Look what you've done! I Love it and we All Love you.

Well, thanks Ben. That’s a good feeling. The moment I mailed those first two letters, it was out of my hands. Now it has a life of its own, and it feeds off the good Tiki Vibes that resonate throughout our little community. I really have enjoyed the folks that I've met here, & wanted to get a fun thing started where people would share. I'm glad others are enjoying it too. It is pretty interesting watching it all unfold. Who’s next… where will it go from here? Who knows???

Cheers!

Aaron

What a great thing you started here Aaron...

MD

I recieved the coolest little package in the mail yesterday! A little half carved tiki from Mr. Benzart hiz self....I know he wants me to finish the other half but man, its so COOL the way its is, my wife and I want to mount it up the way is and tell everyone the story and who its from! Thanks again Mr. Ben.
So now its my turn, and I'm know to whom I'm a gonna send off my little thrift store finds. They may not want them now, but they might when they get them.
Going to a couple of the friendliest tiki freaks on the board. I'll show and tell as soon as possible.
Thanks Ben and A.A.

Oh, Ben thanks for the xtra letters you sent off with your gift, you don't miss a lick.

B

You are very Welcome Mr Dale. I'm so glad you like it and that it arrived OK and all in 1 piece. Thanks to Aaron for starting this little bit of Tiki Love.
You Don't have to finish it if you don't want to, but I wish you would. it was a lesson from me to you and I believe you can do it justice and show the world that you are learning. It's one thing to have a half carved piece by BenZart, but how much cooler is it to have one finished With Benzart. But like I said, it's yours to finish or not.
Thanks,
BenZart, Ben, Benzo, Benno, Benny, just to name a few.

HT

Can we send stuff to more than 2 people? I fell like there's about 6 different people that I should send stuff too.

On 2005-01-25 08:46, Aaron's Akua wrote:
... The moment I mailed those first two letters, it was out of my hands....where will it go from here? Who knows???

Does that answer your question, Hale Tiki? Choose as many victims as you like - it's up to you. :)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This post now belongs to Tiki Central at large. My only suggestion to all who participate in this thing is let's try not to "raise the bar" too much on these small tokens. The first two gifts cost less than 5 bucks each. It's really the thought that counts here, right? The best gifts are meaningful, fun, and most of all, cheap! :)

MD

Brother its just friggin' amazing what you can find in the thrift stores around my town. They are absolutely loaded with polynesian music records........seem to be everywhere. All really cheap.
Some are just tourist stuff, but the covers are cool, great for bar decorations.
But still others are worth keeping and listening to over and over.
My wife found these three the other day. The first one goes out to Polynesiac who as always been friendly and supportive, seems to know me without ever talking.
And the second goes out to Cheeky Tiki....Great and helpful fella...and the idea of a cat in rainy London carving tikis is just too cool to ignore.
For their valiant words they recieve a cheap ass 70's Hawaiian tourist record still in the the wrappers, never opened.
The record says, "we are hawaii" or something like that.....if your idea of hawaii is a 70's caucasian chick with 70's makeup and dried out frizzy hair.
But the never played records do include all hawaiian singer from Don im a Ho, to Alfred Apaka, one of my all time favorites.
The last record stays with me, a genuine Arthur Lyman Hawaiian Christmas collection. Its all mine.
My wife bought it cause she is a Christmas freak, "this looked like fun too," she said,
I replied...."HOLY SHIT BABY, THats AUTHUR LYMAN!"
"really, whos that?"
I'm working on her, she's learning.

So enjoy fellas, they'll soon be on their way.

very interesting read, its funny how a small gesture changes someones day , Kudos to all that have taken this on. I may have to start looking for somethings to send out to someone myself.

ps.. do you just pm someone for their address.

B

That seemed to work for me.
Just tell'em they'tr next on the list and that you need their mailing address.
Way to go rodeotiki

Pages: 1 33 replies