Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Any tiki in the Californian in Vegas?

Pages: 1 4 replies

Attempting to recover from my devastation at the untimely demise of Taboo Cove, and wondering if I will ever return to Vegas now that it's best tiki temple has been destroyed . . .

. . . I was wondering if there is any tiki at the Californian, a property very popular with Hawaiian guests located in Downtown Vegas?

PS - Trader Vics can't arrive soon enough - one is coming, right?

Taboo Cove condolences can be expressed here: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=12467&forum=2&15

[ Edited by: christiki295 on 2005-01-06 21:47 ]

M

A vEGAS Trader Vics is in the plans---no location yet so figure at least two years!

A
aquarj posted on Fri, Jan 7, 2005 1:06 PM

Having heard that the California was a favorite destination for Hawaiians visiting Vegas, we walked around in there pretty thoroughly one time, and didn't see much interesting tiki stuff. There are some nice tropical carpets and I think a mural in one place, but I didn't see anything tiki.

Maybe Hawaiian themes aren't exotic for Hawaiians. In other words, for a mainlander it's fun to "escape" to a polynesian atmosphere, but maybe when an islander travels, it's more interesting to experience other styles. Maybe not. I think the California does have some "local style" food though - pulled pork and stuff.

-Randy

TB

Might check this thread out...

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=9148&forum=1

Tbird.

aquarj is right - the tiki decor is not used to appeal to Hawaiians, who already live in paradise (more or less - I'm jealous).

I go to the California a lot but there is no "tiki" stuff there. What they do have: a fabulous plate lunch place upstairs that's super good and super cheap, a Lappert's ice cream parlor upstairs (Haupia ice cream!), a Hawaiian sundry/snack foods store (also upstairs - probably the only place in Vegas you can get squid jerky), and not to mention super low-stake roulette and other card tables (although the roulette has no digital display so its a toss up).

makes a trip out to fremont trip at least once during a visit totally worthwhile.

Pages: 1 4 replies