Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

The Aloha Spirit (TM) Tiki Gardens LP Weed

Pages: 1 29 replies

Time to bring a little Aloha Spirit (TM) to the TC boards!

I am on several boards where fans have successfully distributed concert cdrs via something called a "weed" so that is what I am going to do here on Tiki Central -- an experiment in Aloha Spirit, if you will.

Here is how it works:

I have burned 4 copies of the TIKI GARDENS LP, and I will send them FOR FREE to the first 3 Tiki Central members who have a cd burner and 1 who does not, who email me ([email protected]) the following information (please read this entire post before emailing me):

1. Your Tiki Central User Name
  2. Your real name
  3. Your shipping address
  4. your email address (in case I need to contact you regarding your cd)
  5. Whether you have a cd burner or not and if so then...
  6. A promise to continue the Weed on Tiki Central.

Here is how it will work -- The three people who receive a FREE cdr agree to offer the cdr to AT LEAST 3 other people on Tiki Central (2 people with burners who will continue the weed, and 1 person without) within ONE WEEK of receiving the disc, under these same rules (no charge, receiver continues weed, etc.). Those people offer it to 3 others, and on and on, until everyone has a copy.

If you don't have a cd burner, you can still get a cd -- it just may take longer for you to get your mitts on one.

Basically, for the price of 3 (or more, if you REALLY want to spread the Aloha Spirit) blank cdrs and a little postage, YOU can own the Tiki Gadens LP on cd. Pretty simple, eh?

Please note that I am not including the cdr with pictures of Tiki Gardens in this weed, to make the weeding process easier. I will post the front and back cover online for people to download and print if you so desire later this week.

So send me an email if you want in. PLEASE MAKE SURE you include ALL of the requested info, or I will have to skip your request. Also, since many people tend to respond to weeds, please don't get offended if you don't receive a personal reply -- I will post the Tiki Central names of the 4 "winners" in this thread, so the people who missed out will know who won and where the second batch is coming from.

This weed is open to anyone, anywhere. Even MaD-TiKi. The Muggler holds no grudges.

The Aloha Spirit -- can you feel it? (TM)

-Mike

All four slots are now taken, so please hold your emails! The winners are:

Tiki Chris
Trustar
Tiki King
DawnTiki

All four have cd burners, so look for more weeds next week if you missed out.

-Mike

Excellent idea, Mike! I look forward to weeding.

Count me in! I'd happily burn a few and distribute as well.

:) !!!

Trader Woody

T

I have a CD burner, I'd be happy to receive one and spread the love...

I dont have a working cd burner, how can I get a copy?

how about someone putting it on Kazaa? If I am ever lucky enough to find a copy thats what I am going to do...maybe end all the debate about making moolah on it.

still searching!

My dad actually went to Tiki Gardens as a kid, he said it was awesome, but he thinks its funny its such a big deal now.

Folks who don't have the ability to burn cds can still get in on the weeds, it just may take a bit longer as the ratio is 3 to 1. The original post describes in more detail.

As for Kazaa, I work on a Mac, and being a fierce Mac loyalist I won't (and can't) support any service that does not support Mac.

Regardless, though, mp3's sound like hell, so I felt this was the best way to distribute the LP, which already has all the pops and hiss you'd expect from such an old album.

-Mike

Tiki-Troll,

Patience, my friend, and you shall get a cd in due time. You will be surprised how quickly these things multiply, and it will sound MUCH better than mp3's.

If you do post mp3s when you get it, though, I would ask that people not weed cds burned from MP3s, so that the weed cd is a direct copy off the master, with no compression.

I know, I'm a geek.

-Mike

S
Swanky posted on Mon, Oct 7, 2002 9:55 AM

MP3's can sound just as good as a wave file, it just depends on the ratio. I usually set a rate of 128kbs and I don't notice a real difference. Some software does not let you choose. I use a free conversion software called CDEX you can get off download.com. It's completely configurable.

But, it's a matter of taste and a matter of how you are listening.

a cd would sound a lot better on a regular stereo. My hubby connected our tv to our computer (he spent alot of time crawling under the house, its nice to have an electrician in the family!) so we are able to watch movies and listen to MP3's right in the livingroom. The sound comes out pretty well, although I think obsessing over sound quality is something that is a Man-only sorta thing. I think the whole weed idea is pretty neat, expecially since the album is so rare. I would like to see more tiki lounge music on kazaa, it would be nice if we could all swap some of our finds. Maybe I'll get the hubby to figure out how to post some of our albums.

Against my better judgment, (because NO one was gonna get to hear this LP), put me down and I'll burn a few copies.

Heck, I guess I should see what the big fuss is all about.

I don't mind staying up late one or two nights for my tiki-brethren.

And Kokomo, I'll be sure to get you one (on top of my 3+1) if you're not already on the list somewhere.

Thanks for the opportunity Mike. I'm sure it is appreciated far more than you'll be told.

-C.

T

I have a burner and would love a copy. Can somebody send me one and I'll propagate them as needed?

T

I'm glad you all are doing this! I recieved mine last week - and it's great. Everyone should have a chance to listen to this corny slice of Roadside Americana!

Anyway - I have done several "weeds" with other trading groups - and it works out really well. Everyone gets to hear the rare stuff for very little investment! And no one gets "bullied"! (Sorry MadTiki)

It looks like everyone is in on this weed who wanted one - but if there is anyone who can't wait - drop me a private e-mail & I will be happy to burn copies for anyone who sends a blank CD in a mailer with return postage!

T

I had to post again so I could become a.....
SOCIALITE!

Hooray for me.

T

Oh - I guess it takes 101 posts.....

T

Okay... I am ready to burn! Somebody please work me into the weed!

:tiki:

HH

I'd like some weed too, so who's the dealer right now? Sorry but I dont have a burner so just throw me on the bottom of the list.

I think this is a cool idea, we should come up with a TC sounds CD, a little bit of everything tiki. We could post a list of worthy song, come to a vote then place them all on Kazaa, then some supernice TC'er can downlaod and burn the CD.

anytakeres?

Mahalo Mike! I'm not read to burn yet, but it's nice to see positive vibes and contributions from fellow Floridians.

On 2002-10-07 18:05, hula hula wrote:
I'd like some weed too, so who's the dealer right now? Sorry but I dont have a burner so just throw me on the bottom of the list.

There seems to be some confusion about how the "weed" works, so I'll try to clear it up.

Basically, there is no list for a weed. I posted the first announcement for 4 cds and took the first four responses. If you sent me an email, or posted a reply in this thread, you were NOT put on a list to get one. When the four people I mailed cds to get theirs, they will post announcements similar to the one I did, and then announce the winners. All of the transactions except for the announcements of a weed ("Weed Open") and the announcing of the winners ("Weed Closed") should happen privately, off list.

You may have to try several times before you get in on a weed, but don't worry -- EVERYONE who wants one will get one, since the weed won't die until people stop responding to announcements.

Also, don't worry if you can't burn copies yourself -- each person offering the disc can take 1 person of the 3 without burn capabilities. This gives the people who don't have burners a chance to get the cd, but it gives the people with burners (who bear a small expense in blank cds and postage) an advantage in getting the disc faster because those people will continue the weed.

Sorry to clog up TC with non-tiki info, but if this works, hopefully others will be inspired to share hard-to-find tiki-related music hint, hint! :wink:

D

This is going to be great! I'll tell 4 friends and then they'll tell 4 friends and so on...and so on....Thanks - Dawn aka..Farrah

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2002-10-07 22:27 ]

T

Trader Pup

I will make sure you are on my first run of the weed since you were so gracious to run the OC Mini Crawl CD for us all. I play it all the time. Thanks Terry.

Trustar

T

Hey I think this weed idea is great and I'd like to see it extend to more, like different cd's favorite tiki bar tune or hard to find exotica mixes. Music is meant to be shared.

S

If you guys want, I can put songs up on my secret web server for free download any time. Yes, they would be MP3's, but that's what most Net music is. I already keep a good bit of my stuff up there to send around. If anyone had a wish to, send me the MP3's and it'll be there for anyone, anytime. Kazaa is slow, unpredictable and costs money.

M

Hello Muggler
MaD-TiKi holds no grudges either, thanks for looking out for me. I think that is a great idea. I have a burner, and whenever someone would like to weed one over to me I'll be gladly to burn 4 and keep the weed going.
MaD-TiKi

TC

i'll post again when i receive my copy, but i just wanted let any brits/europeans out there that i'm you're contact for the tiki gardens cd goodies!

Hey Tiki Chris, please mark me down for one. Thanks!

Yesterday eBay, tomorrow the world!

Thanks too to TheMuggler. Nice one.

Trader Woody

T

OK - thanks to Swanky I've been able to host the Tiki Gardens LP to CD, now in the popular MP3 format!
All the tracks have been ID'd, and the info uploaded to the CD Data Base - so all you have to do is download the MP3s & burn a CD (I suggest using Disc-at-Once, or turning your pauses all to 0 secs) - and you can take this once rare gem & go!
Swanky also graciously posted the art work too!
You can download at:
http://www.swankpad.org/tiki/tikigardens/tikigardens.htm

Mahalo!

Can I just say that you're all a great bunch?

TG
http://www.exotic-tiki-gardens.com

Pages: 1 29 replies