Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Tulsa, Oklahoma Trade Winds questions?

Pages: 1 20 replies

I've just been told that one of my girlfriend's uncles used to play piano at one of the bars in Tulsa's Trade Winds motels "back in the day"...I don't know which Trade Winds yet but another relative tells me it was "the tiki one."
I'm hoping to chat with him in person in the next few weeks and am willing to ask any questions TC'ers may have as to the history of the bar and any people that may have been associated with it.
All that I know of defunct Tulsa tiki can be found here: http://tulsatvmemories.com/tulstiki.html
It may be awhile before I chat with him but, questions anyone?

W

The "Tiki Nook" restaurant was in the Trade Winds West, which was located at 51st and Peoria (gone now). It was South of the old Camelot motel.

I wish I could tell you more about the place, but there does not seem to be a lot of info available.

This is a 1967 aerial picture of the place. The Highway is I44 (or 66 at the time) and the exit is Peoria. To the lower left of the intersection you can see the Trade Winds West. In the Center of the courtyard, you can see the pool. Almost due north of the pool is the main office and north of that is the sign.

Courtesy Beryl Ford Collection/Rotary Club of Tulsa
I first saw this image on TulsaTvmemories at:

http://tulsatvmemories.com/tulstiki.html

You can only imagine what the sign looked like in color. You can see a color picture of it on Mikes TulsaTVmemories site. (Which shows both images, one below the other.)

There was an identical sign at the Trade winds motor inn that was located at I35-I40 junction in Oklahoma city. (It opened jan 20, 1970) . . unfortunately, the beautiful neon sign was replaced with a cheap plastic one several years ago.

[ Edited by: whorton 2009-06-12 01:50 ]

8T

Ouch, I didn't know that that corner was where it used to be. If I remember from my last visit to Tulsa (2006), isn't there a grocery store there now? Albertsons perhaps. And a Braums ice cream shop too I think. Hardly a decent replacement. That old Camelot hotel was just rotting away year after year. Is is still there today or did they finally take it down?

W

Well, I hate to break it to you. .. . They tore the Camelot down last year. Right now (June 09) its an empty lot. After the highway is widened, we can expect a nice new QUICK TRIP!

As for the Old Trade Winds West. . . It's all gone. . There is a building on the site, but its not well identified. . .nor sure but me thinks it a plumbing supply or something.

Ain't progress great?

At least Tiki has a calming influence on the masses. .

8T

Just found a few matchbooks that are from the Trade Winds in Oklahoma. Two of these are from the OK City location exclusively, the other mentions Tulsa also. Just wanted to add the pics here.

Here's a matchbook from my collection.

LT

That's a nice one!

8T

Just ran across this elongated postcard and there hadn't been one added to the thread yet so here it is.

On 2009-08-11 12:09, 8FT Tiki wrote:
Just found a few matchbooks that are from the Trade Winds in Oklahoma.

Dang, I had missed this post before: Thank you 8FT, for identifying the origin of the MALIHINI which I had pictured in Tiki Modern on page 247 --the menu had NO address or clue to its location in it, I always wondered. Now if someone could find the heritage of the mysterious Tiki Ti menu on page 99... :)

8T

Maybe some day this topic will be moved to the Locating Tiki Forum. Until then, I will keep adding my finds here. There were 4 locations for this chain and the following items mention all four. I wish the playing cards had a better image on them but alas they are just like the box shows. I really like the hotel sign. I hope we get a nice night time shot of it all lit up added here one day!

Hello all, I just came across some Trade Winds paper, but when I got it home I realized it wasn't the Tulsa location? It says it was in Clinton Oklahoma 2130 Gary Freeway, maybe it was the same place and the name of the town changed but this place has a bowling alley which I didn't notice in the other locations?

:up: I like how they use "Background Music" as a selling point. :lol:

This doesn't answer any questions, but I'll lump it here with all the other Trade Winds stuff:

Ashtray:

Buzzy Out!

8T

Just adding a different matchbook find. They seem to get more boring as the Best Western Chain decided to leave off the uniqueness of the hotels and made them sterile and corporate. Yawn,,,,Progress!

OK, here is a nice one. I picked up an old scrap book from a trip across Route 66 that had this great place mat from the Trade Winds in Tulsa.

Close up of the logo Tiki.

And check out the bar with those Tiki bar-stools!

There was also a map of the grounds.

With the logo sign and an ad for the Frankoma Pottery.

The Club Trade Winds location on the grounds.

Good stuff here.

DC

I'm still kicking myself for forgetting to bid on that scrapbook. Here are some of my items from Club Trade Winds.

[ Edited by: TraderJames 2015-06-24 05:54 ]

I'm still kicking myself for forgetting to bid on that scrapbook. Here are some of my items from Club Trade Winds.

8T

A glass measuring 5 1/4" tall. A slightly different shape than the one I found earlier.

O
Otto posted on Wed, Apr 11, 2018 2:24 PM

No one has posted any info regarding the Cultured Pearl mentioned in the Frankoma newsletter and shown on the bottom of some SUPER rare mugs.
Is there any other ephemera from this place cited as opening in 1971?

On 2018-04-11 14:24, Otto wrote:
No one has posted any info regarding the Cultured Pearl mentioned in the Frankoma newsletter and shown on the bottom of some SUPER rare mugs.
Is there any other ephemera from this place cited as opening in 1971?

I have several widow maker and war god mugs from Cultured Pearl, but no additional info on the club.

T

Has anybody seen one with this sticker on it.
It is a Fortieth year anniversary for Frankoma sticker.

As it was told to me they would put this sticker on a Frankoma piece as it went down the line every now and then so not a lot of any Frankoma pieces got this sticker.

Hey guys, several years ago I picked up this table.

table1table2table3

It has a striking resemblance to the image used on the Trade Winds matchbook, ashtray and placemat.

I found another example of this exact design in a bar in Austin, although that table is square rather than round.

deepeddydeepeddy2

While it looks like the images are drawn in Sharpie, the fact that two tables exist with the identical markings makes me think these were actually manufactured with that print on them. The table base looks to be from the 50s.

Anyone every seen another or have any info?

[ Edited by mikehooker on 2023-08-19 10:14:54 ]

Pages: 1 20 replies