Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Martin Denny's Live Albums...

Pages: 1 4 replies

R
Rude posted on Sun, Jan 9, 2005 8:47 PM

Hey All,

I've just recently come across a live LP by Martin Denny ("...In Person"). Of course it's great, but i'd thought the only official live recording was the newly released "Baked Alaska".

Anyway, now i'm curious as to how many live albums there really are. I have to assume that "Alaska" had been floating around out there as a bootleg for many years... so are there any more professionally recorded live albums worth looking for?

Later All,
-Rude

[ Edited by: Rude on 2005-01-09 20:48 ]

I've got Martin Denny's Baked Alaska on EMI Special Markets CD. I like it. There's a note on the back that reads: "The recording of this performance was not originally intended for comercial release. Therefore, you will hear some minor tape glitches and background noise - consider it part of the ambience!"

[ Edited by: Shipwreckjoey on 2005-01-10 23:34 ]

R
Rude posted on Tue, Jan 11, 2005 11:21 AM

Hey Again,

...this performance was not originally intended for comercial release

That's what i mean... if this recording wasn't intended for a release, then why was it recorded in the first place, and where has it been all these years.

If there's one there's gotta' be more out there somewhere, right?

Later,
-Rude

PS Shipwreck - Looks like you thought better of offending any Stooges fans out there, ha!

Rude,
most performers record all of their live shows--Mostly so they can critique themselves. Thats why occasionally you'll see some odd live version of a song on a CD single. Sting has done that quite a few times. I know some sound engineers and they tell me that the performers are almost always recording the show. That means there are tons of "private" live recordings. Most of the time the recordings are intended to be released in the first place, so the attention to the recording mix isn't as high as to the live venu mix.

R
Rude posted on Wed, Jan 12, 2005 5:56 PM

Hey Digitiki,

It makes sense that performers would like to record a number of their concerts for their own reasons. And i'm glad that a few of those recordings eventually find their way to the fans.

I'd imagine that this has to be a fairly recent trend though. Digital technology would make recording a large number of shows very easy and affordable. But during Martin Denny's heyday recording shows would be much more of an undertaking.

Where Sting can archive every demo, alternate take, and concert... i doubt Denny would have been able to do likewise.

Which is why i'm curious about just how many live shows are known to be floating around out there. I thought there was just one... now there are two. Who knows what Denny or his record company has on reel-to-reel locked up in a trunk somewhere... but hopefully it'll see the light of day sooner than later!

See Ya'
-Rude

Pages: 1 4 replies