Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

UPDATE Pyrat White is BACK! *$8.99* at BevMo right now! (see pg.3)

Pages: 1 38 replies

M

UPDATE 2/15/05: If this company is going under, or they're scrapping the white, I don't know. But that's the price online! haven't been in the store in almost a month, so not sure about the instore pricing. (It doesn't look good to go hopping in to buy liquor while you're out on worker's comp with a knee injury)

There is NO reason not to stock up like mad at this price!

Don't forget to sign up for yer BevMo card to get the discount.

[ Edited by: martiki on 2005-02-15 11:23 ]

[ Edited by: martiki on 2005-06-16 17:53 ]

Thanks for the hot tip, Martiki. Picked up 4 of em last night. They had stacks and stacks of cases of them. Half-off, that's my kinda sale.

Since I have to factor shipping into this, I did a web search to determine if this really is as good a deal as it seems.

I discovered four things:

PyRAT is also short for Python Relational Animal Tracking

http://www.scionics.de/pyrat.html

877spirits.com want $44 for the same bottle.

Most other places have prices similar to BevMo's usual (non-sale) price of a bit under $20.

This is (inexplicably) both the cheapest and least common of Pyrat's four varieties of rum.

The best price anywhere (non-sale) is Sams, here in Chicago, who's usual price is $16.49.

http://www.samswine.com/searches/SpiritSearchResults.asp?USearch=pyrat

...thus, adding shipping, but deleting sales tax, the BevMo sale price is the best you'll do.

• James 'consumer reports' T.
P

And HiTimeWine has Pyrat XO at more than 50% off. A $45 bottle for 20 bucks.

A trippy thought/fact about Pyrat Rum.....
It's made in Anguilla, British West Indies.

K
Kono posted on Sat, Jan 15, 2005 9:31 AM

I'm guessing this would be the Pyrat Superior Blanco. One of the local liquor stores sells it for around $16. The Pyrat Planter's XO Reserve Rum is on sale at Hi Times for $17.99, marked down from $45.99. I've never had it but at that price it is very tempting.

P

OH NO! IT'S KONO!

I'll bring a bottle of the XO with me to the Hawaiian Inn so you can try it there.
It's odd but in a good way.

H

I just got a bottle of the XO Reserve on sale from Hi Times and I must say it was money very very well spent. Just drink it straight or on ice with a twist of lemon. It is my new favorite rum.

Thanx martiki, two bottles left...bought both.

H

Thanks, just bought 4 bottles. I also bought a coconut flavored Cruzan, any ideas what I could make with this one??

M

Use it in place of Malibu in recipes- it's a little better. For Coconut rum, I think Bacardi COCO is the best- it's 35% by volume instead of 20-25% like the others. But, my biggest reccommendation is to use white rum and Coco Lopez. Real coconut really tastes better.

H

Martiki, any special drink that is good with this coconut flavoring that is not too sweet?

M

If you've got an ounce of coco lopez, an ounce of orange juice, four ounces of Pineapple Juice, two ounces of Pussers Rum, and some grated nutmeg and cinnamon, you're all set with a magnificent Painkiller. Add a little more orange if it's still too sweet.

H

Thank you, Martiki I will try it.

IZ

Thanks for the BevMo tip. Unfortunately, they won't send stuff to my Minnesota address. But I will keep a look out for the white Pyrat locally.

I, Zombie

On 2005-01-18 14:25, martiki wrote:
If you've got an ounce of coco lopez, an ounce of orange juice, four ounces of Pineapple Juice, two ounces of Pussers Rum, and some grated nutmeg and cinnamon, you're all set with a magnificent Painkiller. Add a little more orange if it's still too sweet.

MmmMmm!
Had a couple of Painkillers last night, thanks martiki!

M

my pleasure!

OK, my two bottles are gone. I'm gonna head on down to my Bev n More to see if lightening can strike twice. Wish me luck.

H

If you dont find any, come down to the San Fernando Valley and we will find you a hundred.

They also had quite a few cases in the Huntington Beach store a few days ago.

M

The sale is still on.

I know.

How do I know?

Because martiki...now works for Beverages and More.

more later.....

Holy sh!t! I'm like a sinner who suddenly knows a saint. Like Galileo and the Catholic Church, 007 and M, or Lennon & McCartney, some things were just meant to go together. Congrats on the new job! Oh, jeebus, my mind is swimming! How shall I do thy bidding my master????

On 2005-01-23 00:32, martiki wrote:

Because martiki...now works for Beverages and More.

Too bad you don't have any 'product knowledge'! :)

I've never read anything more perfect! Maybe you can get corporate sponsors for your blind taste test parties... the mind reels at the possibilities! Bevmo will certainly enjoy a substantial increase in rum sales.

Huge congratulations with a flaming garnish!

M

Well, it would be perfect if it paid well. Even if it paid OK. Even..if it only paid better than In-N-Out, which it doesn't. But it is more fun than flipping burgers, and it will do for the time being.

Sadly, Rum is only the #8 best selling spirit at BevMo. C'mon people, let's get to work!

Also sadly, (god I love my luck) on my fourth day on the job, I dislocated my knee. I'm laid up for a week. Can't drive and can barely walk...and I'm down to my last lime! Nothing makes a boss smile like a new employee filing a workers comp claim!

H

Martiki, sorry to hear about your knee, however that is funny. I can mail you some limes asap if you like?

P

Interesting.
My favorite bartender now has access to every spirit available.

San Francisco, here I come.

M

See first message!! Bump! Bump!

CONFIRMATION!!! pyrat blanco is $6.99 in store! Wow what a cheap price!

Damn!
Somebody should buy a case so that we can all go in on it at Tiki Oasis.
If someone does this, put me on the list please!
No Bevmos in my area.

we bought 3 bottles last week in san diego ~ plus other booze..and packed it on our carry on luggage.

bevmo rules.
WA state liquor stores suck huge.

Otto wanted me to post this; "I am proud to announce that I have liberated all of the Pyrat light rum from Beverages & More who obviously wanted to desperately get rid of the stuff.
This is $17 rum selling for $7
I was tipped to this sale by Martin – AFTER he had cleared out the Oakland location and someone else had cleaned out the SF location
So I felt it my duty to take care of the rest of the Northern Bay area by doing a Rum Run on Sunday and rousting up every last bottle from the Orinda and Walnut Creek locations (both very conveniently located right off of freeways)"
I bought the last one in Dublin two weeks ago, but they still had a few cases then in the Danville location. I don't know how fast they are restocking these.

H

I have bought a dozen or so of these already, no more left at the BevMo by my house. Thanks for the tip.

M

There's three cases in Mountain View right now. There's also plenty online. If you don't see it at your local BevMo, ask the manager to see if he can get some from another store.

I HIGHLY DOUBT that this rum will ever be seen at BevMo again after this sale.

M

UPDATE:

Pyrat White is back, in somewhat limited quantities. The item has returned to active status at BevMo and is being offered at the ClubBev price of $8.99. Not as good as it once was, but still lot better than the old $18.99 days, and still, for my money, easily the best white rum at that price.

Dosen't appear on the website, but it is in stock at several Bay Area stores.

M

On 2005-03-14 23:51, martiki wrote:
I HIGHLY DOUBT that this rum will ever be seen at BevMo again after this sale.

Shows what I know!

thanks for the tip. I'm going to my local shop right now!

M

UPDATE:

It's still considered a close out item according to BevMo spirits group, so I'm not sure how much more will be coming down the pike.

I managed to squeeze out a case for the BevMo Novato store. There's still nine bottles left, so swing by if you're interested.

M

Eight.

Post if you need me to hold some for you.

[ Edited by: martiki on 2005-06-23 13:29 ]

W

damn, you guys ran 'em out! :(

Pages: 1 38 replies