Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Bernard of Hollywood book

Pages: 1 7 replies

Not that my publisher needs more business, but I want to share a good thing if I see one:
With Taschen's Bernard Of Hollywood book
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/3822862177//qid=1033923293/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/002-0307691-7252069?v=glance&vi=pictures

he has again hit a goldmine of vintage imagery and brought it to the people in a size-quality-prize ratio that is amazing. This book is so satisfying. A must have.
I am just holding my breath what else the Bernard vaults will bring forth. And I had no idea that this master of Pin up photography was German, too.

Also, now that Taschen has tapped into the Andre de Dienes archive with his Marilyn book, we can hope for the release of his peerless nude photo books...

There was a nice article about this in the Sunday Times (London) the other week. Quite a surprise when their usual photo essays are about toothless old crones from the late 1800's.
Definitely one for the Xmas list.

Just wondering, has Taschen ever published a bad/poor book?

Trader Woody

[ Edited by: Trader Woody on 2002-10-07 01:48 ]

Wow! I just looked at the couple of pages Amazon had up and it looks great! I get such a kick out those costumes (or lack of, as the case may be.)

T

That poodle standing erect in the picture cracked me up!

And that woman in the tiger print outfit had me roaring!

This book is one I added to my wish list (hint,hint).

I already have The Brenard of Hollywood book of Red Heads, Book of brunnettes, and the book of Blondes now I'm going to have to run out and add this to my collection.

I actually met his daughter Susan Bernard at a Faster Pussycat Kill Kill reunion a couple of years ago. But the bug thrill for me that night was meeting Tura Satana. If you haven't seen Faster Pussycat Kill Kill you need to do so quickly. It's a movie about three large breasted strippers driving around the desert wreaking havok.

Russ Meyer is a man among men!!!

H

I named my car Pussycat after that film, and nobody ever knows what I'm talking about. I was beginning to think I was weird. Or, you know, even weirder than I thought I was.

I first saw Faster Pussycat some years back during a Halloween fim fest in LA in a large (2000 seat) theater. There was a man in the audience that was apparently so overwhelmed by the opening of that film that all he could exclaim at the top of his lungs was, "BOOOBBEEEES!!!!" I nearly choked on my popcorn from laughing so hard.

Also, the photo on the cover of Bernards of Hollywoods Redheads is what inspired my choice of hair color today.

Marian and I spent about an hour at the local Border's book store two weeks ago looking through a Taschen book on interior decor of the 50's. It was fantastic (and cost $40). I hate to think what the Book of Tiki would have been like if Sven had not found such a quality publisher. While not as exciting as nudes, the 50's decor book is on our Christmas list.

Pages: 1 7 replies