Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tiki Quest. Page 183. Hartford, CN.

Pages: 1 10 replies

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-13 11:40 ]

T

Any idea approximately where around Hartford it is? I live 20 minutes away!

T

That's a nice looking tiki.....! My favorite style has always been slightly cartoony - but with a strong Polynesian influence still coming through... nice!

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-13 11:41 ]

B

That's a cool photo and a great Tiki. It's identical to the one on the top right of page 183. Wanna' know why? Because, like the rest of the Tikis on that last page, it's not an original, unique, one-of -a-kind carving. It's a mold-made faux wood Tiki that is actually the same dense, hard foam like the United Airlines Tiki right below it. It was made by Universal Statuary here in Chicago in 1970 (it's marked on the back).

It's still one of my favorite Tikis, partly because of the style and partly because of the story of its acquisition. In the summer of '98 Amy went to a flea market in Wisconsin with a friend. I could not go because I had to work that day. Well, when I got home, Amy had this silly grin that she could not conceal and said, "guess what I found?" I about flipped when I saw him! Another thing that makes it special for me is that there is also one right behind the bar in the Hala Kahiki.

So now we know that there is also one in Connecticut. You might suggest to your friend that they bring it in from outside. It looks like the elements are taking their toll on his headdress. But then, someone painted him already, so I guess he's just changing with age.

Great story Fil. Thanks for sharing!

Aloha,
-Duke

Oh yeah, I know where there used to be one more of the Universal Statuary Tikis. Unfortunately, it was not in a Tiki environment and the folks who had it did not appreciate it, but they refused to sell it regardless.

"...Oh yeah, I know where there used to be one more of the Universal Statuary Tikis. Unfortunately, it was not in a Tiki environment and the folks who had it did not appreciate it, but they refused to sell it regardless.."

Duke, are you talkin' about a certain Chinese store..?

B

Damn! Your a freakin' Tiki blood-hound. You didn't talk them into selling it did you? If not, someone needs to. That cool Tiki needs to be displayed somewhere it can get the respect it deserves.

B

Hey! Waitaminute. I didn't tell you about that one did I? Did you TRY to get it? Any luck? I have not been in there in ages.

Is this the same tiki?

It is about 2 1/2 feet tall and is in the restaurant that was Frances Langford's Outigger in Jensen Beach, Fla.
KG

B

That's the one KG! Very cool. You can always spot him by his distinctive headdress with the little figure at the top. The color they put on them seems to vary. That one is darker that the one we have or the one at Hala Kahiki but the same color as the one I spied in the Chinese store. What is the restaurant now? Is that some sort of shrine they have set up for the old Outrigger?
-Duke

The restaurant is called the Dolphin Bar and Shrimp House, but it is essentially the old Outrigger Restaurant-sans most of its tiki decor. The new owner set up sort of a shrine to Frances Langford and the original property. This tiki sits amongst the various photos, menus and tiki-related items.
When I went to the Hala kahiki a few years ago, I thought they had the same tiki but I wasn't sure. Thanks for confiming it.

Pages: 1 10 replies