Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Is Everyone OK in SoCal??

Pages: 1 17 replies

S

It looks like you guys in SoCal are getting the weather that is usually reserved for us webfooted folks up north. We always get a few flooded areas with our weeks and weeks of rain, but we're used to it, and the land up here is better equipped to handle all that water.

Is everyone OK? Has anyone had to dismantle their backyard Tiki Huts- or, have the storms done it for you? what I've seen on the news looks bad. Hang on, it's supposedly almost over.

TM1

The santa Ana river is at the 6 foot mark, which is the highest it's been in years....if it did not exist, we would be having huge floods right now, like in 1938!

Right now, the sun is shining..there might be a bit more, but the worst is over. It has been pretty much raining non-stop for 5 days now, and very hard too at times!
Thanks for asking Seamus!

For those not in the area, there are occasional floods here. Before the Los Angeles River was put in a concrete channel, flooding would happen frequently, especially in the San Fernando Valley. There's an area in the Valley that's called the Sepulveda Basin that is essentially marked off for non-development just to help control flooding. Here's a few historical pics of the Valley:

Canoga Park High. Topanga Canyon Blvd. 1914

Showing the LA River overflowing in North Hollywood. 1938

Topanga Cyn Blvd again after the school was rebuilt. 1950

[ Edited by: vintagegirl on 2005-01-11 21:17 ]

Great pics Marsha
Mahalo,
Al

A few flooded streets here and there, but all is well in Encinitas. Guess I don't need to water outside for awhile.
Thanks for asking Seamus.

Thanks California... for the second time this winter you're sending us an inch of rain and thunderstorms... in January. Snowboard season being ruined again as temps reach 50 Wednesday... where's winter?

Sorry Lake Surfer. It's Global Warming at its best. All us Californians driving SUV's messin' things up for the rest of you!

D

I hear you,Lakesurfer.Awoke last night to thunder-yes,it's going to be warm today,but then the bottom is going to drop out-single digits here by Friday.Gads.

Our biggest problem is that whenever we get big rainstorms, our house gets invaded by ants. I guess they want to come indoors to keep dry.

On 2005-01-12 00:31, Lake Surfer wrote:
Thanks California... for the second time this winter you're sending us an inch of rain and thunderstorms... in January. Snowboard season being ruined again as temps reach 50 Wednesday... where's winter?

You need to thank Hawaii not California.

I blame Bong

On 2005-01-11 21:13, vintagegirl wrote:
For those not in the area, there are occasional floods here. Before the Los Angeles River was put in a concrete channel, flooding would happen frequently, especially in the San Fernando Valley. There's an area in the Valley that's called the Sepulveda Basin that is essentially marked off for non-development just to help control flooding. Here's a few historical pics of the Valley:

Wow Vintagegirl! Those are incredible photos! Where on earth did you get them?

J

On 2005-01-12 00:41, Hakalugi wrote:
Sorry Lake Surfer. It's Global Warming at its best. All us Californians driving SUV's messin' things up for the rest of you!

You know what I'd do if I had Bill Gates' money? I'd buy SUV's for all of California! God bless global warming! I'm thinking of planting some banana trees and starting a pineapple plantation - I hope to never see another flake of snow as long as I live!

S

Just heard the weather. sounds like your last system is heading this way(north). I guess we're about to change from off and on downpours to the heavy stuff for awhile. Business as usual around here.

Some pretty impressive rain records were set. 5.55 inches in one day is alot in any region. Good luck drying out. I hope you carvers out there had your drying pile covered!

Thanks, Tangaroa. Got the pics from one of my fave websites on San Fernando Valley history built by CSU, Northridge:
http://digital-library.csun.edu/index2.html

The mother site is here:
http://library.csun.edu/mfinley/valley.html
If you scroll to the bottom where is says "San Fernando Valley History" there's a bunch of other links.

Today I stepped out of my self-imposed sensory deprivation chamber (the office I work in) to a beautiful sunny day for the first time in a week, and as I went to put on my sunglasses, they fell apart in my hands (wardrobe malfunction)...Lord, your SO strict!

Thank you MLK !!! It was like the perfect So. Cal. day today. Off Shore Winds. Approx. 80 in the sun. Hung out at the beach with the kids cause life is too short. You know that stuff that looks like bamboo (arunda) but is "not related at all" well, it's all over the beach here from the past rain. Built mega huts today. Left the camera at home. Maybe next time. Life is good!

I agree with BEN I had an excellent day over here in the South Bay. I rode my beach cruiser from El segundo to Redondo with a little bar hopping along the way. I ended my day with a stop at the Purple Orchid for a few more drinks . Like Ben said "Life is Good"
Later,
Spermy

Pages: 1 17 replies