Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

new mai tai????

Pages: 1 37 replies

CA

Thanks for all the great submissions to the "Monkey Mai Tai Search"
What a daunting task it has been (if not a pain in the ass) to hunt down the ingredients and get to mixing. On the other hand it has been a delight to swig a few tantalizing monkey treats.
With careful consideration and input from a few devoted Ape fans, (with very large Tiki Bars, or liquor cabinets) here are four favorites for the tiki public to sample... survey... savor... and post your idea which is best.

On Wed. the 19th these comments will be taken into consideration in picking two final recipes for the "Monkey Mai Tai Taste Off!" on Sat. the 22cd. benefiting World Relief! see events post.....
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=12732&forum=4&0

The most favored recipe of this event will determine what the final 'Monkey Mai Tai' is 'based' on, and the winner of a Sold Out Limited Edition Mug!

Keep in mind the Band is looking for a Mai Tai.... we all know Tangy is better then Sugary Sweet.... or do we....

here are the four recipes to check out.... drink/judge responsibly.

1. Drunken Hat

1 oz mt gay extra old
1 oz cruzan single barrel
1 oz bols creme de banana
1/4 rock candy syrup
1/2 passion fruit syrup
1 oz fresh lime juice

1. Bamboo Ben (sort of)

equal parts...

Light Rum
Dark Rum
(from Barbados only!!!)
Fresh Orange Juice
Fresh Pineapple Juice

squeez of lime
1 oz. 99 bananas

Fuck the garnish! (Sam Lord did not do garnishes!!)

1. Hale Tiki #1

(a blended Mai Tai? not recommended, but could be ground breaking)
3oz Appleton Estate Extra Jamaican Rum
3oz Mount Gay Eclipse Barbados Rum
1oz Banana Liquor
1oz Rock Candy Syrup
1oz Almond Syrup or Orgeat
Juice from one Lime

Pour ingredients into a blender, along with 7 ice cubes and a whole banana.

1. Hale Tiki #2

The Bacardi Ape Mai Tai

3oz Banana Juice (Goya has it)
2oz Bacardi 8
2oz Bacardi Anejo`
1oz Unfiltered Pineapple Juice
.5oz Rock Candy
.25oz Sweet & Sour
Juice from half a lime

Prepare as you wish, perhaps using shaved ice.

Have Fun... Stay Tiki!

[ Edited by: crazy al on 2005-01-12 22:32 ]

T

I gotta say, I had the pleasure of tasting Drunken Hat's recipe- made by theDrunkenHat himself- and it was very good. Just the right amount of sweetness and banana flavor- it's got my vote!

CA

alright here's my first choice...

not that Bamboo Ben is a good friend... f' him I always say...

but if you are stuck on an island or lost in the jungles somewheres with a bunch of apes... and all you have to make a mai tai is what ya got.... then Ben's recipe is it... ya can't go off and get Trader Vic's this and creemed'da that......... and there is always 99 bananas to ferment!

99 bananas??? some like it others not.... but it added just the right something.. not sugary sweet at all and a nice 'Kick! I'm a big fan of Coconut drinks, but most are too sweet for a mai tai.

alright, seeing that Ben's Recipe was fixed and he is about as close to me as my toe jam, if it wins... the Limited Edition Ape Mug might have to go to Hale Tiki.........

i'll have to hit the souse to decide on another runner up......

[ Edited by: crazy al on 2005-01-13 18:45 ]

K

On 2005-01-12 21:30, crazy al wrote:

99 bananas??? some like it others not.... but it added just the right something.. not sugary sweet at all and a nice 'Kick!

Yeah, I'm a big fan of it myself.

Ahu

Even if it doesn't win, I think "The Drunken Hat" is a great name for a drink.

M

Except that the Drunken Hat is a person, and not a drink name!

Unless it's like the song In a Big Country, from the band Big Country, on the album Big Country.

M

Well, I made them all. Some more than once. Two of my four finalists made the the finals listed above, but let me go over my tasting notes here. And yes, Rebecca and I took this plenty seriously (what else would you expect from a type-A shmuck like me?) And please, don't anyone take these things personally. I had one of my original concoctions blasted by thejab a few years ago, and I still like the son of a bitch.

#2 Bamboo Ben

It's hard to know, because when the recipe was originally posted, it had Galliano in it and didn't have 99 Bananas or lime juice. So...I guess I'll have to make it again!

#4 Hale Tiki #2

It's got a delicious and dynamic flavor, loaded with "Mexacardi", and well balanced. But have to echo Al's concerns here: Banana Juice?! It was not easy to find.

#1 Drunken Hat

Excellent balance of sweet and and tart, and smooth character from using premium rums. Ultimately I felt that the consistency was a little too syrupy and that the passion fruit and banana didn't get along as well as I'd hoped. I even made it twice with Monin and Vic's passion fruit to compare.

#3 Hale Tiki #1

This may come as a shock, but the best way to achieve real banana flavor...is with a real banana. And the only way to incorporate real banana successfully into a drink is to blend it. (Go on, try shaking a banana some time. Doesn't strain so hot.) I don't normally care for blended drinks, but this one achieves a simple magic. You've got a few of the classic Mai Tai elements, every flavor is loud and clear. And banana and almond positively love each other. Obviously, it's a drink for two with that much rum, and you had better have a good lime because you'll need every drop to keep it from being too sweet. (at least 1 oz, if not a pinch more) But it's a winner in my book.

I vote for #3.

CA

so'... a daring vote for the taboo Blended Mai Tai! Hmmmmmm... inside scoop i found out the Lucky Tiki has no blender.... something about not cool in suck a cool Tiki bar... ok, i made the 'not cool' part up, but it might be true to some...

if this 'black sheep' wins a spot... i'll bring the blender a guess

[ Edited by: on 2005-01-13 18:42 ]

HT

If only I could go. Ah, I get to be the black sheep. FANTASTIC! I do well in that role, really. I much appreciate the offer to bring the blender!

CA

Hay Mr. Hale??

could you post where to find the
"3oz Banana Juice (Goya has it) "

Folks aint ever going to mix this one...
However a bar might stock it if the drink sells....
thanks

Are there internet connections on the slopes these days????

Is this supposed to a Mai Tai in name only, or is the drink to really be Mai Tai-esque? Having not tasted any of these recipes, the ingredients of Hale Tiki #1 seems to fit the description of a real Mai Tai with a "Monkey" (banana) twist. On the other hand, I do love 99 Bananas.

CA

why call it a mai tai if it aint a mai tai...
am working with the recipes given in the original post

but the band favors a simple Mai Tai with an Ape accent!!!

Ok, How bout the Original Don Beach but instead of the rum, throw in Absolte Vodka!

And, hang one of those plastic monkeys on the edge of the mug.

And, spill it on a Ape CD so you got to buy another one?

(anyone who wants to say yuck to the above drink can take it up with Mrs. T of the Mai Kai and myself. Everyone who was at Daves Elvis After Party hurricane night, that's what you were drinking.)

How about Hale #1 with Ben's 99 Bananas suggestion instead of banana liqueur? I love the "Curious George" that they serve at the Purple Orchid and it seems to me the magical tastiness of this drink comes from fresh banana. Well, it sure tastes like it.

HT

I love being the black sheep. So, I've remixed my drinks myself, and would like to add a few notes. Banana Juice can be gotten at any garden variety mexican store that carries a large stock of Goya fruit nectars in a can. Should be the blue can, not the white can. I went and checked my local Whole Foods (Superfresh) and sure enough, they had some in stock. Now, as far as substituing banana liquor with 99 bananas, that's a personal choice, and I'm fine with it. After all, we don't still have the original Zombie, so why be stuck to certain ingredients. Now, if you can't find banana juice, I tried it without it the juice, and added banana puree. Not as good, but, still good. It's up for grabs people. But with all honesty, go with the juice, the puree gives it a weird texture. Check your local organic food store, they tend to stock Goya. Good luck mixing!

http://www.goya.com/english/products/product.html?prodCatID=5&prodSubCatID=16

martiki~ i actually like it better with the orgeat insted of the passionfruit. but against my own taste i chose the receipe with the passion fruit with my thinking being that a sweeter drink may have a more universal appeal. its coolio though i'm honored to just make the finals.

p.s. i appreciate your constructive critisism and take the knowledge that i should have trusted my own taste.............................(under my breath "f that martiki s.o.b.") just kidding of course!

dh

Well, alls I can say is I tried the Drunken Hat's Monkey Mai Tai with thine own lips Saturday night at The Dark Marq Room (exquisitely tiki) and it was SUperb. My friend the Drunken Hat has come a long way in a short period of time. Becoming a great mixologist. Mahalo.

T

Can't wait to taste Hale tiki's Blended Monkey Mai Tai. I usually mix myself a Banana Dragon (Banana Daiquiri) while I'm bartending for the extra potassium which bananas contain. Monkey Mai Tai looks like a tasty substitute.
I've been working a late swing shift these days which has seriously cut into my cocktail time; however, in early Febuary I am changing to an earlier shift which will at least let me have a nightcap. Dust off the Blender, Honey!
"Mai Tai" means the Best in Tahitian!
"Ka Oi" means the best in Hawaiian!
How about Monkey Ka Oi.
Tikiboy

K
Kono posted on Sun, Jan 16, 2005 6:26 PM

Here's the one I entered. I sent it by email, I didn't post it in the thread. It didn't make the Final Four but that doesn't mean it has to die alone, homeless and anonymous. Or maybe it does? :lol:

1.5oz white rum (Cruzan)
1.5oz dark rum (Meyers)
.75oz coconut cream
.75oz orgeat syrup
1oz banana liqueur
1.5 oz pineapple juice
.75oz lime juice
.75oz apricot brandy

1.5 cups shaved ice
Blend well

M

Hey Kono- for what it's worth, you were one of my four finalists...

On 2005-01-13 09:39, martiki wrote:

Even if it doesn't win, I think "The Drunken Hat" is a great name for a drink.

Except that the Drunken Hat is a person, and not a drink name!

Unless it's like the song In a Big Country, from the band Big Country, on the album Big Country.

Sorry I wasn't clear on this, I know the Drunken Hat is a person, but it would also be a great drink name, too. I'd think that someone named Martiki could understand that. :lol:

TB

I vote for the Drunken hat and the blended one. We'll see come Sat.

M

On 2005-01-13 18:37, crazy al wrote:
so'... a daring vote for the taboo Blended Mai Tai! Hmmmmmm... inside scoop i found out the Lucky Tiki has no blender.... something about not cool in suck a cool Tiki bar... ok, i made the 'not cool' part up, but it might be true to some...

if this 'black sheep' wins a spot... i'll bring the blender a guess

[ Edited by: on 2005-01-13 18:42 ]

By the way, the blender was invented by Stephen Poplawski of Racine, WI in 1922. Bandleader Fred Waring was a big fan of daquiris and found out about Poplawsi's invention in the late 20s. Waring and Poplawski went into business together and called it the Waring Blendor. (yep, -or)

the blender was a popular bar accessory for over 20 years before it even moved into home usage.

So, it's actually more old school to have blenders....

On 2005-01-17 16:01, martiki wrote:

the blender was a popular bar accessory for over 20 years before it even moved into home usage.

So, it's actually more old school to have blenders....

Here's the new school blender,The Amazing Blenderphone No Tiki bar should be with it.

(You need to refresh page to see the cartoon repeat.)

K
Kono posted on Mon, Jan 17, 2005 5:02 PM

On 2005-01-17 09:13, martiki wrote:
Hey Kono- for what it's worth, you were one of my four finalists...

That's cool martiki. Good to know. I'll just give it a new name.

HT

It appears that the voting ends tonight, and in the spirit of ohana, my vote goes to THE DRUNKEN HAT

(Although, of course, I perfer my blended recipre more. I'd say that Hat's recipe is a close second.)

Mahalo to all who voted for me, and I really wish I could be there for the event. Unfortunately, I'm stuck on the un-tiki east coast. ALoha!

HT

Use less ice cubes in my recipe. I'm thinking 4. I just remade it. Too icy if the cubes are large. Go with 4.

CA

crap... it's Wed. already... I've got bananas and rum squirting out my ears!!!

so......... let me thinks about this........slurp

CA

looks like it's a Drunk's Hat's off and the Blended One?? Inside Scoop.... an Ape has let it be known that "over his dead simian carcass" would there be a Blended Ape Drink! So there just might be three drinks offered up on Sat.

see ya there.

HT

That's narrowminded blendism! I would have this Ape try it and see what he thinks. think of it this way. not only would it be Monkey, but it would also be Kapu! The Kapu Monkey Mai Tai!

CA

i like it!

TB

Al,

I think it might be against health code to have a real Ape/Monkey in the bar to try the drinks.... besides, getting an Ape drunk is a sure fire way to have PETA all over your ass.

Sorry... TikiBob

M

Blending is certainly a sin when the ingredients are shit or if it comes from a slushy machine. But good stuff is always good stuff.

From cocktaildb.com, regarding blenders:

"It was adopted and acclaimed for mixing Polynesian-styled tiki drinks by Don the Beachcomber and remained the behind-the-bar mainstay of many a tiki mixologist for many years to come"

Well, who won?

RR

On 2005-01-23 12:36, Hale Tiki wrote:
Well, who won?

The winners were the people drinking the $6 drinks.

This is true.

CA

Wow I got one drink in me all night! the bar was swamped! literally!

the Kapu Monkey Mai Tai will remain TABOO!!! but that's what makes it so good!!!!!!!
this evil will find it's way onto the APE web site

The Hat walks off with the favorite!!!

this was a great time! thanks to all who helped out!!!

Pages: 1 37 replies