Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

LuckyTiki!! World Relief Party!!!! & Tiki Auction!!!! Jan22cd

Pages: 1 43 replies

CA

THE GREAT "MONKEY MAi TAi TAiST OFF" Benefiting World Relief!!!

Right here in Sunny California???
Jan 22cd
At the Brand New "LUCK TIKI"!!!!!!
9:30PM?
15420 Chatsworth Street, Mission Hills, California 91345
http://www.mapquest.com
http://www.theluckytiki.com

The band APE (represented by myself only) , Tiki Farm and the Lucky Tiki are hosting a night that will help the Red Cross do it's thing for folks all over the world!

As we know the beautiful tropical islands of Indonesia, rivaling the beauty of Polynesia, are in bad shape... but wait.....the water is high in ol'CA...folks homes are under tons of mud!... the Ohio river is up to peoples' necks... as well as the worst flooding in Europe in some time!!!!! Crap-o'

$6 "Monkey Mai Tais"
$8 'Production' Ape Mugs!
$15 Ape CD's
Most All the money made off these three this night will go to World Relief

Also, you can join in on THE GREAT "MONKEY MAi TAi TAiST OFF"
As APE searches for a recipe for it's fantastic new Mugs.
You can help decide which of two Recipes will bring forth the Super new drink! THE MONKEY MAI TAI!!!

raffles or silent auctions may be announced.

see you there

[ Edited by: crazy al on 2005-01-18 18:51 ]

H

OK, exactly when is this event Al, or am I missing the point....

CA

noted....

H

Oops, you are right ....sorry...I shd be in bilge ...wrong section...!!!!!! Damn I hate this when it happends..

I heard today that Prado Dam might burst. If so, most of the lower land of OC next to the Santa Ana river would be flooded. A "reverse Tsunami". Hmmmmmm.

p.s.

CORONA, Califonia (AP) -- Hundreds of Riverside County residents were evacuated as a precaution Friday after water began seeping through a dam's earthen extension and authorities released millions of gallons into a river to relieve pressure.

As of 4 p.m. (7 p.m. ET), the mandatory evacuation was downgraded to a voluntary evacuation, CNN has learned.

"The water's just seeping through it gradually. No hole, no break, as of yet." said Lt. Col. John Guenther, deputy commander of the Army Corps of Engineers' Los Angeles district. "Right now, there is no imminent danger."

A flood watch was issued for the Santa Ana River below the Prado Dam, and an evacuation center was opened at Corona High School. Televised images showed vehicles jamming the few streets out of the evacuated neighborhoods 50 miles east-southeast of Los Angeles.

The pressure on the dam was the latest effect of a series of storms that have pummeled the state. The rainfall eased up earlier in the week, but residents were still dealing with swollen rivers and other problems. In all, 28 deaths were blamed on the storms, including 10 in La Conchita, Ventura County, when a mudslide buried part of the coastal community.

The original section of the Prado Dam remained firm, but the Corps of Engineers was relieving pressure on it by releasing about 10,000 cubic feet of water per second through a spillway into the river below.

"That is easily within the limits of the river itself. We're not going to get any flooding," Guenther said.

At the evacuation shelter, Corona police Chief Richard Gonzales told people they should be able to return to their homes Friday afternoon. In all, 508 homes, 330 mobile homes and a recreational vehicle park were affected by the evacuation order.

"I'm sorry if we woke you up, I'm sorry if we got you out of your home. ... I wasn't going to lose any of you, period," Gonzales said to applause.

The corps will release water for two or three more days while working to stop the seepage, Guenther said.

To the north, rescuers flew in food and medical supplies Thursday to more than 100 people trapped in a small Angeles National Forest mountain community by a storm-swollen river that washed out three bridges.

The raging San Gabriel River cut off ground access to about 135 permanent residents of Follows Camp, in the forest about 30 miles northeast of downtown Los Angeles.

"We're completely separated from the rest of the world," said Lt. Tim Dowling of the Follows Camp Volunteer Fire Department. The flooding washed out half of the community's fire equipment, including a fire engine that fell into the river.

Besides flying in food and medical supplies, the rescuers also flew out a heart patient needing special medication and a 10-year-old boy who had been visiting friends when he was trapped in the camp.

The storms probably cost the state more than $100 million in damage to homes, roads and farms, according to experts still tallying the bill.

Damage estimates for just the state's highways and interstate system come to about $50 million, CalTrans spokesman David Anderson said.

"As more assessments are made we expect that number to climb," he said.

Farmers in the county suffered an estimated $38 million in losses as rain drowned out crops and ripped out irrigation systems, according to the California Farm Bureau Federation

Crazy Al asked for a tiki donation, so I'll bring a 3-4 foot tiki for the auctions! I'll also bring a bunch of detailed wood tiki necklaces so you can walk away with some inexpensive hand carved tikis and %100 of that'll go to World Relief.

CA

Toni Kicks ASS!! (i hear he is a movie star these days!)
Any other local artist/carvers/crafty types that whould like to give offerings to world relief LET ME KNOW!!!

We won't be able to make it that night......but I do have something Tiki that I would like to donate to the cause.

CA

Great Bongo! shoot me an email and we will find a way to get it to the Lucky Tiki...

hey every body! AL of AL&Shelly has come aboard as a Celebrity Guest Bartendar to help out the Luck Tiki with Monkie Mai Tai slinging!!! Thanks AL!!!

Also I have a recommendation for a hotel right around the corner!! Unga Bunga has stayed there and gives it a passing review.... it was a Best Western and still holds a three star standard....... I'm going to try it out.

Mission Hills Inn
10621 Sepulveda Blvd
818 891 1771
$93 + tax for two beds

Also on Devonshire a bit farther away... The Safari Room! Vintage , but i have know idea of the quality.... someone would have to post a review

I used to live near the Safari Room for years in college, but never went in. Finally, Atomic and I were looking for a mellow place to hang after a noisy and commotion-filled Thanksgiving dinner and decided to try it out. We were quite pleased. It's been there since 1954 and there are both booths for dining and a great bar for drinking, Safari themed with African masks and spears. Very well-kept. The bartender there has been there for at least 14 years. The clientele did seem to be on the older side (I suspect from the nearby senior mobile home parks). And they were having a Turkey dinner for only $11.95 (or maybe even cheaper).

So maybe some folks should check this place out for dinner then head to the Lucky Tiki afterward.

Hey Crazy Al: Atomic says "Bring that freakin' fabric with you on Saturday".

Put me down for a gold leaf piece to auction off.

http://www.samgambino.com

CA

Thanks SAM!!

Also Up for auction... one of my brand new Philippine Tiki#13 Keeper of the Charm!

My design, carved in the in the Philippines for Bone Productions! I personally add my signature 'hand collected' sea shell teeth and miniature tiki charm!

This 14 inch hardwood tiki retails for $160 but could be yours for much less. I've only ordered 25 of this size!!! Signed and numbered.

good luck on your bid.

[ Edited by: crazy al on 2005-01-18 18:58 ]

C'Al--I can't make it to the gig, but I have a framed canvas print from my "Vintage Hawaiian Themes" series to throw on the auction pile.
I'm not too far from there so I'll try to drop it by the Lucky Tiki tomorrow afternoon. will that work?
Peace & Love, Mike

Glad to see TikiCentral getting into the THE GREAT "MONKEY MAi TAi TAiST OFF" Benefiting World Relief!!! mix.

I'll be there.

CA

VHT's.... email Bobby Green
i have know idea when the bar opens... or who would recieve it......

[ Edited by: crazy al on 2005-01-19 21:02 ]

I'm going to donate my Hukilau 04' mug and a poster.

From one disaster (Jeanne) to another.

Here is our donation. Tikitony will be bringing it with him.

hey C'al n' all...

I'd like to donate a small tiki for the auction too (if that's cool) - not sure what it will be, but I'll carve it up tomorrow

see you Sat night!

A great cause Al!
Thanks.

On 2005-01-20 20:12, bongofury wrote:
Here is our donation. Tikitony will be bringing it with him.

A Photograph? :)

Here's my gold leaf piece that's going up..."Moai in Gold and Green." It's 14x18 enamel and gold leaf on stretched canvas...

Ahem...that's 23 carat gold...ahem.... :) :) :)

Somebody give old "doorknob-head" a nice home for a good cause!

This sounds like a perfect time to revisit the Lucky tiki. And for a good cause too. I think I have something to auction off.

Me and the wife will be there .Cheers

CA

Wes of House O'Tiki!!!! (who basically started this whole thing with a very thoughtful email about the world's situation)

Is bringing his "Shaka Tiki Mug" for cheep buys and Red Cross $'s

this mug is very very very cool! I sculpted the master on this one also.........he he

THANKS WES!!!

ALSO Great Lee of Dionysusrecords.com is DJ!ing... very cool tunes!!!

CA

ok... i'z headed out of orange county... see ya all around 9:30

for the high ticket items in the auction bring your check book and write a check to the Red Cross yourself..... we'll pay the postage and send it in for ya..

(then you can stop payment on the check... and walk will free crap... but then the bad karma will get you... then the tikis will not shine favorably on you... and your life will then suck)

see ya tonight!!!

B

Just wondering if any one is going fron the Hesperia area. My car broke down and I don't have a ride for tonight. I will pay for gas and even be a DD. if needed. Call me.
Bob
(951) 285-3582cell

D

BobJ40 check your personal messages

K

Here's the first of the pictures! It was great to be able to help disaster victims and have fun, too. Thanks to Crazy Al for organizing this event.

To see the rest, go here: http://mutantqueens.com/lucky_tiki_tsunami_benefit.htm

HT

Looks like I missed out on a swell time. Darn my east coastness!

Hey, they got the blender!
Wish I was there too.

Wow, what a huge turn-out. The Lucky Tiki was packed, and at one point they had to stop letting people in. Who were all those people? I only recognized about 20 people from other Tiki Central events. Is that the regular Saturday Night crowd at Lucky Tiki? Were they Tiki Central lurkers? Identify yourselves!

RR

On 2005-01-24 08:46, ookoo lady wrote:
Wow, what a huge turn-out. The Lucky Tiki was packed, and at one point they had to stop letting people in. Who were all those people? I only recognized about 20 people from other Tiki Central events. Is that the regular Saturday Night crowd at Lucky Tiki? Were they Tiki Central lurkers? Identify yourselves!

I was the lurker in the bright orange shirt. It was my first event. It was great.

HT

Since I wasn't there, how did my drink taste? That is, if anyone ordered it. It was the blended Monkey Mai Tai.

I too was one of the Lurkers.....the Fez head enjoying many many drinks

CA

(Sorry for the delay in this post... Sunday was a 'me' day.... or rather Significant Other B-day day......)

THANKS FOLKS!!!!!!!!! $800!! WILL GO TO THE RED CROSS!!
Just Because Tiki Is So Cool!!!!!!!!!

BIG THANKS!!!!!!! TO..............

Big AL!!!!! THE SAINT!!! (TC volunteer bartender)
The Place Was Packed! with Regulars!! then the TC folks showed!!!!!! AL was given All the Monkey Business!!! Yikes.... sorry for that AL ....
You Rock!!

Tiki TONY!!!! this guy brought in like a third of the proceeds!!! And ran the silent auction all night as well!!!

D.J. LEE!!!! of http://www.dionysusrecords.com Who spun the greatest music for free... with no room to move... and a rising Water Level!!! Yikes!!!! Yikes!!!!

Wes!!! and BAXDOG!!! of House of Tiki Newport Bch!!!! Who's 'Shaka Tiki' mug sold out! after the Ape mugs Sold Out!!!!!

TIKI FARM!! Donated mugs 100%!!!!!

SamGambino and Polynesiac!!!! Let a great one of a kind art go for the cause!! 100%!!!!

VintageHawaiianPrints!!!!
BambooBen!!!!
BongoFury!!!!
TikiDiablo!!!! get well soon!
and ALL the TC'ers Sucking Down all the booz I brought!!!
I'm not the greatest host... thanks for giving me a wave as a ran by and never said... Hello...or How are You.

As for the Monkey Mai Tai...... The Drunk Hat! walks with the Limited Edition Mug!
with Hale Tiki coming in a very close second with the "Taboo:MonkeyMaiTai"

Thanks for all the Fun!!!!

[ Edited by: crazy al on 2005-01-24 13:54 ]

holy crap! i can't believe i won! well i wish i could have been there but i was sick as a dog all weekend. needless to say i feel a whole lot better now! thanks c' al for offering up a fine prize and puttin me in the top 4. also thanks to all of you who voted for my drink at the lucky tiki!

on the serious side: all of you who were able to make it there should be proud of the money you raised for a very worthy cause. it seems the spirit of aloha was in full effect!

lets have a monkey mai tai victory party here in the dark marq in a few weeks! any TCers up for a some cocktails? look for a seperate post soon!

Congrats Scott!
I knew you had it in ya (Or should I say your liver)!
Best to ya!!

I heard it said that night that if Big Al worked at a bar on a regular basis people would go there just for his mixing. Well, at least we got a little taste of what that would be like on Saturday. (One can always wish, can't they?) And DJ Lee's record selections were ultra spot on too.

Well, Crazy Al nice job, thankyou for organizing this benefit. It was soO packed, Alene and I only went in once after midnite for a moment before we left. You drunk TCer's crack me up, thanks for the great show, and for buying up all the necklaces I brought. Polynesiac, great carving you donated, and it now resides in the Lucky Tiki, Bobby won the bid. Sam, nice detailing on the Moai and it went to the man Lucky Burton who tricked out the Lucky Tiki head to toe with the build. He was so excited to have won the bid on your painting.

Thanks for the info, tikitony. I wondered where it had ended up....

Hey C'al thanks for organizing a great evening, I had a blast and I'm sure that everyone else did too!

tIki tOny - You and Alene are too cool...thanks for doing the silent auction - sorry I had to jam early - who got your awesome tiki?!?!?

Sam - I had the pleasure of sitting up close to your gold leaf - I can't believe how good it looked! Lucky is...well..lucky!

I'm honored to know that my carving ended up at the lucky tiki! That is one cool tiki bar!
Great seeing all you wacky TCers! Thanks for the pics krustiki!

"Hey, at least I'm housebroken."

[ Edited by: Polynesiac on 2005-01-26 22:19 ]

Hey Polynesiac- Thanks a bunch for your kind words. I wish I had been there - it sounded like a great time.

Hi all

I have been away for awhile, but I was there with my wife and some freinds we had a blast. I really like the music and seeing you all.
I went home with the hotWheelz , and a TikiTony neckless,,see you all next time

Scott

Pages: 1 43 replies