Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Native American/Polynesian/Thai tikis....

Pages: 1 5 replies

This morning on MiceAge, Alain Littaye gives a photo tour of an obscure Thailand theme park that rips off Disneyland pretty good (for the best super-weird example of this, see Dreamland in Nara, Japan). Anyway - in the "Frontierland" section of the park, there is a rapids ride that features these little oddities:

Part Native American - part wacky tiki-ish inspired I think... Just another example in a long ine of folks who confuse totem poles with tiki is my guess...

Check out the full article here: http://www.miceage.com/guest/gu011405a.htm

On 2005-01-14 10:53, Tangaroa wrote:
...theme park that rips off Disneyland pretty good (for the best super-weird example of this, see Dreamland in Nara, Japan)....

Unbelievable --

Dreamworld Nara is like the LSD version of Disneyland. Its simply surreal...

**Poly-Pop ***

He who dies with the most broken mugs WINS!

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2005-01-14 11:35 ]

"Dreamworld"? That's like Disturbing Alternate Universe World to me. Great, now I have to go there!

Am I imagining things, or is that rock that the chief & horse is on top of shaped like giant faces? Especially the right side looks like a profile. Were they going for a Southwestern moai?

I've been finding tikis & mugs in shops mixed in with totems and particularly Pacific Northwest style. I keep seeing a set of stacking cups that become a totem pole that have matching salt & pepper shakers.

On 2005-01-15 16:18, ZebraTiki wrote:
"Dreamworld"? That's like Disturbing Alternate Universe World to me.

Tikifish can tell you all about the Alternate Universe....

That's classic!!! I'm with ZT-- have to go!!! It must be like stepping into the Violent Femmes video for "American Music"!!!

-FB

I have been to several overseas theme park and they all have ripped Disney in many ways.

In Malaysia they had the "Flying Jumbo" ride, A Frontier Land, and their logo was VERY similar to disneys castle logo.

In China it was basically a Epcot rip off, complete with different country themed lands.

The problem is with all their disney rip off ideas are that they get close, but not quite right. The food is never matches the land, the rides are missing scenic pieces, the land scape is usually wrong, etc.

I'll have to dig out my pictures of me at these parks.

Pages: 1 5 replies