Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Outrigger Rum -- vintage bottle with a tiki on it!

Pages: 1 14 replies

I've been meaning to post this since I found it at an Estate Sale in Pasadena in October... actually, Futura Girl spotted it before I did, and she graciously let me buy it. This house had a great little midcentury basic bar setup, and there were several older bottles of liquor, but this was the only one cool enough to buy.

It's a bottle of white Virgin Islands rum, bottled here in Los Angeles. I'm guessing this was sold as a tourist souvenir item at a restaurant, there were plenty of places called "Outrigger," just a few of them being a couple of the first Trader Vic's, Billingsley's Outrigger in Laguna Beach, and the Mark Thomas Outrigger in Monterey. I don't immediately recognize that particular "Outrigger" lettering or that swell tiki, which may have been a sort of logo for a place. Since it doesn't actually have any specific location information on it, perhaps it was created as a generic tourist item to be sold in Hawaii or something. If anyone happens to recognize this bottle or its graphics, I'd love to hear more about it. I haven't even bothered to try tasting the stuff, I'm sure it's crap.

T

Nice score.

I'd drink it - you only live once, after all, and most people don't even really live THAT much.

I would guess a west coast Outrigger since it was bottled in LA. We had two Outrigger's in Florida. One in St. Pete and one in Jensen Beach. We're so close to where the rum comes from, it would make no sense to ship it to L.A. and back here.
Nice graphics.
KG

BTW: When do you hope to get to Daytona?

K
Kono posted on Sat, Jan 15, 2005 9:21 AM

On 2005-01-15 07:24, Unga Bunga wrote:
http://www.bombaywines.com/outiminrum.html

Yow. $10.99 for a 1.75 liter?? Makes Ron Rico look Top Shelf.

Thanks for the link Unga.

EDIT: Ah crap, they only ship within Missouri.

[ Edited by: Kono on 2005-01-15 09:23 ]

Thanks for the lead, well hunted Unga Bunga! I'm surprised to see this is still being produced (or at least was being produced recently enough to still be available, and in a plastic bottle). I'm even more surprised, pleasantly, that the label remains mostly unchanged.

I also just found this on a rum label collector's website:

Tried searching for info re: Pioneer Distillers in Kentucky, no luck so far.

Still haven't tried tasting it.

I just bought a bottlehere.
Thanks for the heads up too Humuhumu.
It's gonna look good in the bar.

Just found that they sell an Outrigger dark rum too!

Very cool find! Thanks for the pictures, now I can add it to my mental images for things to look for at sales.
I bet it would be a blast to go to an estate sale with experts like Humuhumu and Futura Girl, just to witness tiki radar at it's finest.

T

On 2005-01-15 16:54, ZebraTiki wrote:
I bet it would be a blast to go to an estate sale with experts like Humuhumu and Futura Girl, just to witness tiki radar at it's finest.

...just bring a chaperone to keep the catfights from happening!

"I saw it FIRST!"
:)

i bought a bottle of the current stuff last nite. ironically enough i was alerted about where to buy it from Tikiwahine in canada! :) but it's at a place very close to where her brother lives.

On 2005-01-15 11:51, Unga Bunga wrote:

One light and one dark come to $19.71, which is pretty cheap...
...plus $16.45 shipping/tax.

Too much!

On 2005-01-16 11:32, tikibars wrote:

On 2005-01-15 11:51, Unga Bunga wrote:

One light and one dark come to $19.71, which is pretty cheap...
...plus $16.45 shipping/tax.
Too much!

Agreed. Is there an extra charge for shipping alcohol that I don't know about?

T

You can't ship liquids via US Post Office, so you have to go UPS... but this is still too much, even by UPS standards. They're probably adding all sorts of bogus 'handling' and 'packing' fees to it to skim some extra cash from each order.

...either that or it's 'alcoholic UPS driver insurance'!

On 2005-01-16 09:16, Johnny Dollar wrote:
i bought a bottle of the current stuff last nite. ironically enough i was alerted about where to buy it from Tikiwahine in canada! :) but it's at a place very close to where her brother lives.

Hehe, yep, it sure is a cute bottle!

I originally posted about it in this thread

Pages: 1 14 replies