Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

World Bartending Championship

Pages: 1 7 replies

The world Bartending Championship held in Las vegas will be shown on foodtv channel on 1-16-05 at 10pm ET.

M

Ugh. I watched as much as I could last night. It was all about what's apparently called "flair bartending", which as you can imagine, is tossing bottles around in a flashy way. I was certainly impressed by some of the skill and coordination and what not, but certainly not by the quality of drinks. Of course it all happens in Vegas.

I love when they juggle all these bottles with speed pourers on them, and then pour four or five into a shaker at the same time by grabbing their necks and dumping them in. Let me ask you: when was the last time you were at Vic's, or any upscale bar with world class cocktails like Bix or the Starlight Room and you saw the bartender dump five things in at the same time? Yeah, I didn't think so.

All I could think about whenever they talked about the "sport of flair", was how many pieces of flair they had on their uniform...

Ever since fucking Cocktail

Next thing you know, world's best bartender will be 5 girls doing a romp on the bar.

Wait, that doesn't sound TOO bad...

A quiet bartender who makes a stiff drink is fine by me.

K

On 2005-01-17 09:33, martiki wrote:
All I could think about whenever they talked about the "sport of flair", was how many pieces of flair they had on their uniform...

Hahahaha! Me too!

"Flair bartending"?

Try "Juggling".

Ahu

On 2005-01-17 13:42, Ku Ku Ahu wrote:

Try "Juggling".

I'll take Jennifer as my bartender.

hahaha, I was trying to explain 'flair' to someone who hasn't seen Office Space.

We were at a Montana's for supper Friday night and I was not impressed by the waitresses who have to write their names upside-down on the table. I think it's totally demeaning and just as bad as 'flair'

It turns out I've been practicing the "sport of flair" for years, only everyone called it, "Damn - you almost dropped that bottle!"

J

Gimme a real mixologist armed with a precision measuring glass, a couple measuring spoons and pouring with the accuracy of a chemist! That stuff that passes for bartending nowadays is BS - I bet they couldn't make a palatable Suffering Bastard to save their lives! A good bartender used to mix a quality drink now they only have to juggle!

Pages: 1 7 replies