Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Secret Temple (progress pic)

Pages: 1 33 replies

Just wasting a little time. My back went out and I'm missing a few days work, so I finally had some time to be creative. It doesn't have a name yet because I'm not sure it's done.

Enjoy!

[ Edited by: finkdaddy on 2005-01-15 16:04 ]

[ Edited by: finkdaddy on 2005-01-17 15:25 ]

[ Edited by: finkdaddy on 2005-01-18 09:40 ]

[ Edited by: finkdaddy on 2005-01-27 13:43 ]

B

dasddyfink, it really looks great. His expression is hard to pin down, like he/she has a stomach ache, is giving birth, ate too many hot tmamles or something. The eyes are interesting, in fact the whole piece is interesting. can you get a higher res picture?I think you need to make some more???

FD, that is SO COOL! What's it made out of? How tall is it? It looks pretty big.

On 2005-01-15 16:02, finkdaddy wrote:
Just wasting a little time....

What an understatement!

[ Edited by: Aaron's Akua on 2005-01-15 16:26 ]

Well there's something new under the tiki sun. Nice.

Thanks for the kind words, as always! It really means a lot.

I drew it on Corel Dream 3D. If anyone wants a higher res pic or a larger rendering, I would be happy to email one. I posted this one using Shutterfly and I couldn't get a better pic.

B

I would. send it to [email protected] where I have 4 free subscriptions for email accounts to give away.

Well DUH! I thought that was a papier mache sculpture sitting in the corner of your living room. It seemed to have a real surreal quality though. I think I understand now.... :)

Yes! I'll take one too please. [email protected]. That will be my new screensaver. Beautiful!

Thanks!

A-A

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

[ Edited by: Aaron's Akua on 2005-01-15 16:35 ]

Ben and Aaron, your pics are on their way. I hope everyone enjoys them, you've really made me smile.

As Benzart would say, "happy, happy, happy"

[ Edited by: finkdaddy on 2005-01-15 16:44 ]

please send me a copy too finkdaddy...
i also thought it was some sort of weird
carving at first...I like the thingy on
the top of the head...and the volcano
is really nice too! Real fun{ny}

Don't know about you, but it also reminds of a certain film character- E.Tiki.
Cool rendering Finkdaddy, this is bringing "Creating" into a completely untouched area I think

first thing that came to mind was a tikified version of Flick from "Bugs Life"

I like your use of colors and shading. Seems like it was drawn looking into the corner of a tiki bar...cool stuff.

Here's another one. I was experimenting on using glass and how it distorts the image.

Again, I didn't name this one because it will probably change at some point.

Mahalo everyone for your kind words and support.

If anyone wants a high-res image, just let me know and I will email one. It looks WAY better in high-res.

[ Edited by: finkdaddy on 2005-01-17 15:29 ]

finkdaddy....we are also using your first
picture as a screensaver...very nice...and
your new one is cool too....I really
love the tiki mask design in the first
picture....did you create that or was it
part of the corel program? I wanna
steal it!

Nope, it's an original, but feel free to use it for whatever you'd like. Just send a pic when you're done so I can see it!

I always enjoy reading your threads. It's a pleasure to know you.

B

Well done again FinkDaddy, Love the reflections in the mirror. Way cool.

These are very cool, finkdaddy. Nice concept as well. Keep it up!

H

I got a name for that first one:

ET-Tiki!

Love the way the glass distorts the mask on the 2nd piece

On 2005-01-17 22:58, hewey wrote:

Love the way the glass distorts the mask on the 2nd piece

That's what I was trying to do. I was trying to create glass, and then play with the way light and images distort through it.

Here's a different camera angle in the same room...

You can see how the round glass distorts the stuff behind it. I hate how Shutterfly seems to blur-up everything, but you get the idea.

Thanks for your comments.

[ Edited by: finkdaddy on 2005-01-18 09:46 ]

H
hewey posted on Wed, Jan 19, 2005 2:30 AM

That stuff is way cool - keep it coming.

One thought I had - what about doing some full-on jungle style scenes. Tiki statues and tables are cool, but you obviously got some talent - why not make some way out stuff?

I am thinking old temple in the jungle by the lava flow with decaying tiki statues, maybe some skeletons of sacrificed virgins, jungle overgrowing everywhere - yeh I know, lots of stuff with lots of detail. I reckon you could pull it off though.

Again, the stuff you have done looks tops.

On 2005-01-19 02:30, hewey wrote:
That stuff is way cool - keep it coming.

One thought I had - what about doing some full-on jungle style scenes. Tiki statues and tables are cool, but you obviously got some talent - why not make some way out stuff?

I am thinking old temple in the jungle by the lava flow with decaying tiki statues, maybe some skeletons of sacrificed virgins, jungle overgrowing everywhere - yeh I know, lots of stuff with lots of detail. I reckon you could pull it off though.

Again, the stuff you have done looks tops.

I suppose I have to give the public what it wants! But boy, you have no idea what you have asked...

A sacrificial temple in the heart of a mysterious jungle, the only light comming from torches and the full moon.

You got it, but it's gonna take a while!

This is a work in progress. The scene will change as I render more stuff, but I wanted to show what I have so far.

I'm also open to suggestion for a cool name.

As always, I will email a hi-res pic to anyone who wants one. The detail is WAY better that way.

Thanks

[ Edited by: finkdaddy on 2005-01-27 13:50 ]

B

This one is really looking good too and may be the best yet. Can't wait til it's finished. Of course send me the pix. This one is very mysterious I think.

Lookin' Good!

very cool finkdaddy....your creations are
a nice addition to the tc art exhibits...
looking forward to the finished product!

Finkdaddy, that is lookin' good, especially for a work "in-progress". 3D renderings are fascinating. I did some 3D work for the cover of an engineering magazine about ten years ago. We did it all in AutoCAD 3D wireframe. We'd get it all set up, then start the rendering program, cross our fingers & leave for the evening, then come back in the morning to see if it worked or if the computer crashed sometime during the night.

Things have obviously come a long ways since then. To me it's amazing how quickly you've gotten this complex jungle scene together. I love this media & how you can make a virtual environment, then set up lighting, camera angles, then move stuff around if you don't like the way it looks. I can't wait to see how this scene evolves, and how it's all gonna look when you're done.

BTW, everyone in my office loves the first pic you sent me, which I'm using for wallpaper on my screen. Keep it up, these 3D renderings are great!

Aloha,

Aaron

Thanks everyone. It means a lot to hear the kind words. If I didn't have all of you, I probably wouldn't have the drive to create anything.

Benzart, you are like the Dad I should have had, and I mean in the very best way possible.

Slacks Ferret, it feels good to hear from a real artist like yourself. I love your work. I would give my left arm for a print of your tikis playing poker!!

Congatiki, always, always a pleasure. Like I told Slacks, it's so cool to have real artists compliment my attempts at art. I hope it wont be too long before I have a Congatiki hanging on my wall.

Aaron's Akua, I sincerely thank you. The above comments all apply to you too. It's still pretty time consuming to do the renderings. I just did what I did so fast because I'm stubborn that way. Who knew that shrunken heads were so hard to render in 3D? Eventually I will get a better computer and a more updated art program, the one I use now is super old. It's so way-cool to hear that people are using these as wallpapers. It makes me smile all day and justifies all the hours spent at the keyboard.

I actualy owe this last one to Hewey for his comments and challenge in his above post. I hope that when this is done, Hewey, that I can send you a hi-res rendering that you will print out or display. Thanks for the support.

Ok, I'm done gushing now. I now return you to your regularly scheduled mai tai.

On 2005-01-19 02:30, hewey wrote:

...old temple in the jungle by the lava flow with decaying tiki statues, maybe some skeletons of sacrificed virgins, jungle overgrowing everywhere...

Hey FD, how do you 3-D model a sacrificed virgin skeleton, anyways?

I guess I dont quite know how you would tell the difference between a virgin skeleton and a non-virgin skeleton. Maybe it has to do with the placement of the hips?

I have a lot I want to do with this pic yet, but I haven't worked on it in a while because I've had the carving fever again. The new chisels and wood I got for X-mas were screaming to be used.

I will work on this one soon, I just needed a break to get some perspective. My brain got a little numb creating those strange shapes.

I'll post some progress pics of the new carving as soon as I get a little farther.

B

Hey Finky, what program are you using to create this art in again? I looked everywhere because I thought you told us, but I'm blind I gues.

I use Corel Dream 3D because that's what I have. It's a few years old now, and probably way obsolete, but it came with Corel Draw as well as Corel Photo Paint, so that's what I use. Free is good and beggers can't be choosers. I'm sure there are plenty of better ones out there. When I get a new computer, probably not for another year at least, I want to invest in a good professional progam, but they are terribly expensive.

B

Finky in the previous pic with the waterfall and the round glass, I was lust looking at it again and it looks like the waterfall is flowing into the glass. How hard would it be to have the glass overflowing and running down the table? that would be wierd.

Nothing is really difficult, just time consuming. The more odd the shape, the more I have to sit in front of the monitor doing nothing while I visualize how to create the shape in a 3D environment. Flowing water wouldn't be harder than anything else, it would just take a lot of time because of all the complex, smooth curves. It would take a long time to make it convincing, but it's definately doable.

However, you've given me a good idea for a new picture! :)

By the way, in the pic you were talking about I was experimenting with glass and how to make it distort what you see through the object. The water isn't flowing into the glass, it's falling quite a distance behind it. Same thing with the windows. I think people thought they were mirrors instead of glass. Oh well, I guess I'll have to work on glass effects.

H
hewey posted on Tue, Feb 15, 2005 3:44 AM

That looks awesome.

I would love a high-res pick when you are finished.

I figure if we equally support and challenge each other the standard of work will keep increasing indefinetely.

Funny I should say that when you are doing all the work...

T

Oh, he is so cool. I love the expression, really leaves me wondering what he's just been up to or what sort of chaos is about to break loose.

Great stuff!

Pages: 1 33 replies