Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Is Your Favorite Music Store Extinct?

Pages: 1 2 66 replies

The 60s had "Wallich's Music City" and their glass listening booths. The 70's we had "Grasshoppa" on Whittier Blvd with lotsa cool Imports and bootlegs, until they were sued by newcombers, "The Wherehouse" for selling lps for $2.99 (theirs were $3.69). Licorice Pizza was cool for a while, then they moved into the malls and went out of business. Moby Disc? Gone. Rockaway? A shell of it's former self. Aaron's and Rhino are still around, but not as many parking lot sales. Amoeba is good, but a bit far. Here in the suburbs we lost Tower and The Wherehouse a few years ago so the only local shopping is Best Buy (whose 2 full racks of Blues when they opened a few years back has shrunk to about 2 feet in one rack) and Borders. I wasn't too shocked (but sad) when the last time I went to Pasadena my long time favorite "Poobah's" (where I fist found Tiki News) is no more after 30+ years.

Upon reading that Poo Bah Records was gone my heart just about gave out. I haven't visited them in about five or more years. When I lived closer to them I would visit about once or twice a month!

But here's the good news. It looks like they are still open! Apparently they moved to a new location. It's probably not as cool as that funky house they were in but perhaps it's bigger. I guess it's time to pay them a visit.

http://www.poobah.com/

T

Wow, I haven't thought of Poobah's in years. I went to college in Pasadena and that store was a Mecca of cool music and knowlegeable folks. And I loved the house.
Rocakaway was great, too. I still have CD cases with their sticker on them and it makes me all nostalgic. And Aaron's on Melrose - another great memory.
At least I live in the land of Amoeba - 2 of 'em! Although lately I'm digging Rasputin more. Cheaper discs, and more like Amoeba was 10 years ago.
Great memories! Thanks for the trip down memory lane, even if it's a sad trip past closed stores.

Oh, and I almost forgot: There are still great, small stores around the bay area. Down Home music on San Pablo in Albany is about a mile from my house. Excellent selection of folk, ethnic, bluegrass, classic country, all the good stuff. Highly recommend a trip there if you're in the 'hood.

And in the City, Aquarius is tiny but has outstanding and very knowledgeable staff who can answer any question and always point you in the right direction. You can say, "I want something like My Bloody Valentine-meets-alt-country and they will find something for you. I highly recommend their gigantic weekly newsletter via email you can sign up for here:
http://www.aquariusrecords.org/?

Tiki-bot

[ Edited by: Tiki-bot on 2005-01-18 01:56 ]

Poobah's moved to next door to the Colorado, across from the Dennys on Colorado Blvd. You can shop for records, then go next door to shoot pool & drink beer in an old, dark dive bar, then weave across the street for a burger & fries at the counter of a classic Dennys (20 years ago I used to do just that, only without the record shopping part).

Don's Music in Eagle Rock, Eagle Rock Blvd, just about two blocks south of Colorado.

Tell him Tiki Gardener sent ya.

TG

D

You folks out on the West Coast are sooooo lucky. Some of your shops may have dissapeared but at least you have Amoeba! I was first introduced to that store in San Francisco, the one built in the old bowling alley on Haight Street. The last time I was in Los Angeles was in May 2002, I went out there with a good buddy of mine who is a hardcore music lover and vinyl junkie. As jaded as he is he thought that place was amazing. Here in the Apple we think we have everything. Not so...we don't have Amoeba! We even saw Ben Stiller and his wife Christine Taylor shopping in there. Wowie Zowie!!!

As far as the stores here, I have to say after seeing so many other businesses become history, alot of the record stores are still around. The only ones that I can think of that are gone are Second Coming in the west village which I think has become a Mexican Restaurant or something and Smash Compact Disc on St. Mark's, that was THE place to take your used stuff and either trade or sell. It's been replaced by another record store that's geared more to collectors and stuff like that. It's actually a cooler store called Rocket Scientists. Other than that the same old stuff, I'm happy to report is still around. Tower, Virgin Megastore, Subtarranean Records, Rebel Rebel, and a few others. But like I said....we have nothing like Amoeba. For the life of me I can't figure out why we still don't have that out here. That and Rubio's fish tacos, that would do great business here! (most people haven't even heard of fish tacos out here, if you can believe that!)

M

Lou's Records in Encinitas, California has been a long time favorite of mine. It's one of those places that I need to save up for before I go because I usually buy about 5 more CD's than I was planning on getting. You can seriously think of any artist, and they will have at least 3 or 4 of their CD's (including imports of all kinds) if not more. I always take any audiophiles that come to visit me there. They also have a large selection of new & used LP's as well as used CD's in a building right next door.

I HIGHLY recommend a visit there the next time you find yourself traveling the 101 to San Diego.

What a cool thread, both bittersweet and hopeful.

A big bummer for me was losing "The Flipside" in the valley several years back.

Then a favorite on Washington Blvd. west of Sepulveda - was it Record Rover (?) disappeared.

The old Licorice Pizze stores withered as noted, and the cool Tower on Sunset that we'd travel hundreds of miles to get to in the 70's became a shell of its glorious self.

In the Bay Area we had Amoeba and Pasputin's for serious vinyl hunting. There is (was) also a small place on the north side of Market on Church Street - where the street is narrower and quiet that kept a great vinyl selection going.

There was another place, on San Pablo in El Cerrito - Arhoolie? - that had really cool off the beaten track vinyl.

Now, it's mostly online vinyl hunting for what's new: Acoustics Sounds and Music Direct.

Not to be too retro, but I'm still waiting for digital to catch up with vinyl.

Forgot to mention in my previous thread:

There was a small chain of record stores in the area where I grew up in in South Florida called Peaches. They gained some nationwide recognition, and were famous for their Peaches Crates for storing your records and tapes as well as their peach crate wood interiors in the stores. They were also famous for the giant album covers they would hang in front of the stores to advertise the latest sounds. Every time you walked into one of them the place hit you with the overwhelming smell of wood. The main one was actually located not far down the street from the Mai Kai in Ft. Lauderdale. That location was the equivalent of maybe a Tower location, and in the 70s and 80s was the epicenter for retail music. Everytime you went to the beach, you had to pass Peaches on the way down Sunrise Blvd. They opened one in the 'burbs near where I lived and I had to get a job there, which I did the summer after graduating high school. I went in there just about everyday bugging them until they gave me a job. Long story short I was there a little over two years and had a great time. We even had an in-store event where Billy Squier came to sign copies of his new record "Emotions In Motion'...ooooh. For some reason him and his manager kept ducking in and out of the bathroom for a few minutes at a time. Hmmm...wonder what that was all about. He was pretty unfriendly to the staff too. Total egomaniac.

I'll never forget the day we had a staff meeting around 1985 and the boss comes in with the new mini Peaches crate for storing something called Compact Discs. At the time we had one little section for CDs which, we thought, would be a specialized format for hardcore audiophiles, particularly people that listened to classical music, and the occasional head that wanted to listen to Pink Floyd 'Dark Side of the Moon' at it's best audio quality. Man, were we wrong about that. At that staff meeting the boss standing in front of us in his Peaches t-shirt held the crate up in his hand and said in his southern drawl 'See this here...this is the future'.

Looks like for now CDs are here to stay, but Peaches closed all their stores somewhere in the early 90s. The last time I looked, the one near the Mai Kai was still vacant with a 'for rent' sign out front.

[ Edited by: donhonyc on 2005-01-18 10:31 ]

I'd routinely get ripped off at Bleeker Bob's on Melrose in the 80's.... Great stuff - especially boots, but man were they a rip off on out of print stuff...

Are they still there on Melrose? I remember the "code" for bootlegs was "Do you guys have any rare live LPs?"

T

On 2005-01-18 09:59, Geeky Tiki wrote:
There was another place, on San Pablo in El Cerrito - Arhoolie? - that had really cool off the beaten track vinyl.

That's Down Home Music that Tiki-bot mentioned. Arhoolie is one of their labels - old blues mostly.

While living in San Diego I loved Blue Meanie in El Cajon. I revisited the place a few years ago and it wasn't so great - mostly heavy metal and classic rock. Off the Record was great in the 80s, it's still around but not as good. Lou's in Encinitas is probably the best one left in San Diego County.

Vinyl Fetish was a must for me when visiting LA in the 80s. It's still on Melrose the last time I checked.

I love Amoeba but they get most of the business in the bay area so I try and spread my money around a bit. Last Saturday I went to Rooky Ricardo's at 448 Haight. It's a great store for 45s of soul and oldies, and LPs of soul and jazz.

Here's a list of some other bay area record stores:

http://www.graffiks.com/sf/records.html

I hear ya Tang-

The Bleecker Bob's here is a total rip-off. I'm surprised that they're still in business. Over priced and the staff are complete assholes. It's great for window shopping, and that's it. They used to have a great T-shirt department in the back, and that was the last thing I think I bought there one night in around '97. And this isn't some macho brag, but the one good experience I had at Bleecker Bob's was having an instant fling with the chick that was at the T-shirt sales counter that night...doh! And all I was doing was looking for a Stooges t-shirt...sheesh! (I know..."Spazz you old make-out master!!")

Anyway....the Bleecker Bob's location here is housed in what used to be the (legendary) 1960s nightclub The Night Owl. Alot of the East Coast folk & pop bands from that time like the Lovin' Spoonful and the Blues Magoos played there in their early days. The Nigh Owl gets a mention in that Mamas & Papas mega-hit 'Creeque Alley'.

[ Edited by: donhonyc on 2005-01-18 11:38 ]

Oh, geez, I forgot a great resource:

http://www.gemm.com

Sort of a gian conglomeration of different dealers selling under one "roof."

Great prices and search engine.

As Machtiki already said.

***Lous Records ***

is the only place I buy music in person (of course there is the internet too). I generally do not have any specific disc in mind, I will just wander up and down the aisles of the used and new sections just looking for things that I dont have. I generally set aside an hour or so to wander around.

Their prices often beat the pants off any major competitor too.

I've been going to Lou's since 1987 when they were located in a teeny tiny storefront in downtown Encinitas.

Best part is that Lou is still there working in the store.

When I was in Boston, it had to be Newbury Street Comics as it was the only place that sold records by the hardcore scene at that time. I'll never forget walking around once with my parents and hearing my dad going, 'Bad Brains! Dead Kennedy's! Throbbing Gristle!'
Incredible, mindblowing selection of music back then. Nowaday's it seems to have more gee-gaws than music, but last time I went, I saw the Folk Implosion play in-store, picked up some CD's and a cool hand-carved Tiki, so that can't be bad.

In the UK, the Rough Trade Shop is still going strong in it's two London locations. It's always packed, and the customers tend to go away having spent what seems like a months wages on obscure vinyl, so I doubt it's in any danger of going out of business.

Trader Woody

On 2005-01-18 14:26, Trader Woody wrote:
In the UK, the Rough Trade Shop is still going strong in it's two London locations.

Is that the same as the Rough Trade that used to be on Haight in San Francisco? Amoeba put lots of those great little record shops in that area out of business.

On 2005-01-18 14:49, cynfulcynner wrote:
Is that the same as the Rough Trade that used to be on Haight in San Francisco? Amoeba put lots of those great little record shops in that area out of business.

Hmmmm...might well be. I know there's at least one Rough Trade shop in Japan somewhere.

I must admit, when I visited SF I had to deposit my wife in a local bar while I gathered handfuls of cheap CD's at Ameoba. Did I do a bad thing?

Trader Woody

On 2005-01-18 14:53, Trader Woody wrote:

I must admit, when I visited SF I had to deposit my wife in a local bar while I gathered handfuls of cheap CD's at Ameoba. Did I do a bad thing?

That depends on the bar! :lol:

T

On 2005-01-18 14:53, Trader Woody wrote:

Yes, send all the CDs to me as penance. You'll feel better.

On 2005-01-18 14:59, cynfulcynner wrote:

That depends on the bar! :lol:

Haha - nice one! (Actually it was the bar directly across the street. Nothing special compared to some of the great bars you have out there)

Trader Woody

A

Black & Read in Arvada, CO (maybe 20 min NW of Denver) is one of the greatest books-and-music stores I've ever been to. When I was living in Colorado I used to go there all the time. They also had a Psychotronic/Something Weird video rental service for Russ Meyer movies and stuff like that. I think (hope) they're still around.

The Wax Trax stores in Denver are great too - I wonder if they're still there.

-Randy

S

There was another shop a couple of blocks down from Bleeker Bobs on Melrose that I can't remember the name of. It was in a wierd sorta round building with a stone exterior. It's been years since I've been back in that area. I too was ripped off at Bleeker Bobs. Mostly on old Clash 7" singles. I think I paid more for them back then than what they go for on Ebay now.

Portland has many good old record stores that just keep going. Music Millenium, Second Ave, and Djangos to name a few, oh yeah, and Jackpot.

When I first saw this thread I thought it might mean musical instrument stores- which are also disappearing by the droves thanks to Guitar Center. I did all my buy-sell-trading at my friends store Tombstone Music-which by the way is legendary worldwide i.e. Tombstone Record Label i.e. the band Dead Moon i.e. the infamous 60's garage/psych punk pioneer Fred Cole... sorry I strayed. Anyways a few years back Guitar Center put a store in less than a mile away from them. They're holding on , but only thru the used market. Guitar center can sell for less than what my friends pay wholesale. Plus they took away most of their major brand name distibution. It's impossible to compete.

Second Time Around, Record Heaven and a third name which escapes me. They were all owned by the same guy in Seattle. He had stores next to Bleeker Bobs on Melrose, one in Costa Mesa, and two down in San Diego.

The guy was a metalhead ex marine, who always seemed to have post nasal drip after extended visits to the bathroom.

Off the Record was great when they were on El Cajon Blvd.

Anybody in NYC know if Accidental Records is still in business? That place has a story! And its kinda sad/weird.

TG

Glad to hear that Poobah's is still in business. There usually are some good stores in a college town. Don't remember the names but there were some good ones in Boulder, Colorado near the University. Wax Trax is still in Denver. BooBoo's in San Luis Obispo is good, and don't forget to stop by Stuff-o-rama/Insomniac Video for your Tiki and Russ Meyer fix.

D

Tikigardener-

Accidental Records is still in business. At this point it's becoming an accidental institution as well as a major fire hazard. I don't go in there much, but the last time I was you could barely move around the records were stacked so high. Browser friendly that place ain't. Everytime my friend and I walk past there he makes it an issue to point out how much he hates that place and how it's 'the worst record store'. I'd be curious to hear the story about the place that you mentioned.

[ Edited by: donhonyc on 2005-01-18 21:00 ]

On 2005-01-17 22:53, bongofury wrote:
The 70's we had "Grasshoppa" on Whittier Blvd with lotsa cool Imports and bootlegs, Licorice Pizza was cool for a while, then they moved into the malls and went out of business.

I use to go to Grasshoppa and Licorice Pizza. Great memories.

Well, the owner started the store with money he collected from an insurance claim from being hit while on his motorcycle. Sumthin like 100,000 dollars or so.

He had been working for years in various NYC record stores. So he had an apartment full of product. Not to mention at least one basement full of records.

He had plans on how he was going to do it. But word got out to the various dumpster divers and homeless guys who would always be finding records people were throwing out. Or they would work clearing apartments where people had either died, or were evicted and get to keep what they could carry away ( usually records or cds ).

There was a legendary line starting at Accidentals fron door, and wrapping around the corner, and well up 9th street.

In the course of a few months ( tops ) he had filled up 90% of his storefront. Somewhere theres a piano under all of that stuff! I'm serious! Oh, so within 6 months, he had blown through his settlement.

If he had done things properly, he would have had possibly the best record store in NYC.

So eevery time you walk past that place just think, thats what 100,000 dollars will buy you.

Oh my god, he blew threw 100 grand, and that's all he's got to show for it? Jeez. I don't remember seeing that line you were talking about. Been in this neighborhood for quite a while now but I guess I missed it. So wait...you're saying that people were lining up to sell him used records? Was I following your story right?

I was in college at the dawn of the 80's when I discovered Poohbah Records. It was not easy to find the punk and edgy material that they played on KROQ at the more commercial/mainstream stores of the time. Remember when KROQ was underground? I still remember my first visit there and I do believe that I still have the records and rough old 'zines I got there.

Nowadays I seek a retailer that would have the obscure exotica that I seek on cd and vinyl. Amoeba in Hollywood is the one that comes closest to providing it.

Also from that era, there is a crusty little record store on La Cienega near Cattaraugus (called "The Record Store") that is still open. It's hit or miss with my exotica and lounge search, like going to a swap meet, but I love that it's still there.

Another great thing about PooBahs is their comic book rack. Back in the early 80's, this was the only place I knew of that carried the Freak Brothers!

On 2005-01-18 22:36, donhonyc wrote:
Oh my god, he blew threw 100 grand, and that's all he's got to show for it? Jeez. I don't remember seeing that line you were talking about. Been in this neighborhood for quite a while now but I guess I missed it. So wait...you're saying that people were lining up to sell him used records? Was I following your story right?

You are correct sir.

And you'd be surprised exactly how large that storefront is. Theres ( well was as you probably can't get to it to prove it exists ) an office at the back that had a loft bed and bathroom. We used to call the barley human wide corridor that lead to it the valley of death. You never knew if you'd be the person that would be the victim of the whole mass shifting in a vinyl landslide.

Oh and there are several bicycles buried in that wall of stuff.

I'm really surprised he hasn't been shut down by building inspectors. I mean the weight that must be bearing down on those floor joists must be IMMENSE! We had a pool going as to when they'd give out. None of us won, because the place hasn't imploded yet.

[ Edited by: tikigardener on 2005-01-19 00:41 ]

On 2005-01-18 23:10, floratina wrote:
Nowadays I seek a retailer that would have the obscure exotica that I seek on cd and vinyl. Amoeba in Hollywood is the one that comes closest to providing it.

I've noticed quite a difference in what you can find in the $1 vinyl bins at the different Amoebas. In SF there's always plenty of "incredibly strange music" to be had. However, in Hollywood it's nothing but painful early 80's pop -- I've had better luck at thrift stores.

Moby Disc was my main supplier for used cds for years.... then the whole little chain suddenly and mysteriously went bankrupt.

:(

D

Wow, it sure sounds like you coastal people should check out the Midwest for your record buying needs sometime. Here in sunny Minneapolis, we have dozens of really great independent record stores. For dance music, pop and old LPs in general there's Let It Be right downtown. Then there's Hymie's on Lake St. which is all-LP and pretty large. The Electric Fetus (with 3 locations around Minn.) has an excellent selection of blues, Jamaican music and a variety of pop and other genres. And Cheapo, which is our local 800 pound gorilla of independent stores (4 locations), has everything, with a huge local section and lots of other stuff. Plus, there's still half a dozen really great smaller shops, including Extreme Noise, which has one of the best punk and hardcore selections in the country from what I hear.

Thankfully, perhaps because Best Buy is headquartered here, we have no Tower or Virgin Megastore.

Hooray for independent record shops!

On 2005-01-18 20:16, bongofury wrote:
BooBoo's in San Luis Obispo is good, and don't forget to stop by Stuff-o-rama/Insomniac Video for your Tiki and Russ Meyer fix.

Thanks for the props! Boo Boo's is a great record store, but I'm biased as I worked there for more than 14 years. http://www.booboorecords.com
Boo Boo's has the "Wax Museum" which is dedicated to vinyl and used CDs. The used inventory turnover there is massive.

I used to head to Zed Records in Long Beach but the woman who owned it passed on from breast cancer and her husband told me he just didn't want to carry on without her. I really miss that place, it was my one-stop-punk-rock-shopping spot. Very sad on all counts.

Amoeba on Sunset blew my mind the first time I went in there. It was so overwhelming I had to leave. They had everything I had been looking for in the used section for under $7. I love how the LA "industry" folk are so jaded they turn their collections over when they feel music is "over". Works in our favor!

Aaron's and Rene's were great too. I haven't been to Aaron's at their latest location, I'm hoping to get in there in the next couple of weeks when I'm down there.

oh, and Taang and Peerside used to be pretty great too, I'm not sure if they moved or went out of business...

H

On 2005-01-19 10:16, cynfulcynner wrote:

...in Hollywood it's nothing but painful early 80's pop.

On 2005-01-19 19:46, stuff-o-rama wrote:

Amoeba on Sunset blew my mind the first time I went in there. It was so overwhelming I had to leave. They had everything I had been looking for in the used section for under $7. I love how the LA "industry" folk are so jaded they turn their collections over when they feel music is "over". Works in our favor!

Hey stuff-o-rama, according to cynfulcynner you must have purchased painful early 80's pop. Was that the case?

oh, and Taang and Peerside used to be pretty great too, I'm not sure if they moved or went out of business...

Taang in San Diego is still going.

I love how the LA "industry" folk are so jaded they turn their collections over when they feel music is "over". Works in our favor!

I think the same goes for DVDs -- the DVD department at Amoeba on Sunset is much larger than at the two Amoebas up here.

Please note that the "painful early 80's pop" I mentioned above was in the $1 vinyl bins (the dregs!) -- I was not implying that it represented their entire inventory. :)

On 2005-01-20 07:38, freddiefreelance wrote:

Taang in San Diego is still going.

Thanks! Oh and I meant Peerless not Peerside Records. Brain fart... I think it was an Orange County chain?

Zed Records in Long Beach had a great selection of independent releases by local bands. The guys working there were very condensceding, though, and were probably the inspiration for Jack Blacks character in the movie Hi Fidelity.

Is Middle Earth records in Downey/Norwalk still around?

Last I saw, Folk Arts Records was still going in the Normal Heights section of San Diego.

Nice little shop.

Three of my fave record stores now long gone were Platterpus on Pacific Coast Hwy in Long Beach (the first place I ever went that bought & sold used records) and The Phinneas on Anaheim also in Long Beach (I wish I woulda bought that Charles Manson bootleg I saw there in 1969). In San Diego, a little srore called Monte Rocker's run by Dan Mclain (of Beat Farmers fame) was a cool place (he used to put out a fanzine called "The Big M.R.).I hope Zed's is still open. I got a lotta history wid dat place!

My two favorites for used vinyl growing up were Platterpus in (I believe) Redondo and Recycled Records in Hermosa.

Tower Records on Hawthorne Blvd in Torrance is still good for cds and I've spent many a late night with headphones clamped to my ears, sampling new music. They've removed the large "tower" from the top of the building for some reason.

Sabu

My favorite record store was a tiny place in the San Fernando Valley way at the end of Ventura Blvd. in Woodland Hills. It was called Blue Meenie and they had the best selection of imports and obscure stuff. Their prices were also better than Moby Disc. Bought my "Perspectives" polaroid book by David Sylvian there relatively cheap and it included an autographed postcard.

There was a place on University St in Hillcrest called Rockers Records. It was in an old typewriter repair shop, which had a sign with one of those type globes at the top of it. They transformed it into an 8-ball. The owner would go on runs to Jamaica and bring back Studio One records by the crate load.

TG

I grew up in Cerritos CA. And I got my first record at a store called Best Records wich later turned into Tempo Records. Then there was always Middle Earth in Downey!!! I will never forget those stores because my dad would take me once a week to pick out any record I wanted for doing my chores. When I became a teenager I would always find myself at Zed's in Long Beach and Arrons in Hollywood!!!! I really miss all the Independant record stores in my old Neighborhood!!! Now I buy most of my music at Ameoba. I think the internet and the downloading Music has really screwed up the Record Store experience. And I'll be the first to admit that I am as much to blame for it as everybody else.
Later,
Spermy

[ Edited by: The Sperm Whale on 2005-01-22 14:02 ]

On 2005-01-21 13:49, TikiGardener wrote:
Last I saw, Folk Arts Records was still going in the Normal Heights section of San Diego.

Nice little shop.

Sorry TG, Folk Arts Records has lost it's lease in Normal Heights. They're looking for a new location & they're having a fundraiser at Dizzy's on Jan 30th to raise money for the move.

Thats a damn shame, I hope they find a place. If you hear anything about the new location, let me know. I have a freind who loves that place. He might not be there often enough to know about this, and if they do find a new location e might just think they'd gone out of business.

Kinda like the scare I had with Lifes Little Pleasures, AND Wear It Again Sam.

I literally drove up o the last location for Lifes Little Pleasures and fortunatley saw the owner coming down form his apartment. I was aghast that the storefront was gone. But he was still doing his Halloween sale from his apartment!

When Wear It Again Sam moved, all I saw was the old location gutted and empty. Nearly brought me to tears. I'd been shopping there for 15 years. It was one of the last places I went to before my 10 year east coast adventure.

Later on the day I saw that the empty husk of the store, We were wondering Hillcrest, and I saw the new location. Talk about luck. If they had moved anywhere else, I would have just thought they were gone.
The owners are like extended family to me.

Pages: 1 2 66 replies