Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

The Batmobile!

Pages: 1 22 replies

So what can I say, but..............I sat in the mother f....ing BATMOBILE today! Now as a kid I saw it, but today, today I was a Barris' shop and actually sat in it. this is one childhood fantasy that gets checked off the list. Now where is that cape and phone booth.
P.S Munster Mobile was present too, starsky and hutch, grease lightning, and the monkey mobile. anybody else have some cool memories of these cars?

T

I used to drive by the shop next to the Hollywood Frwy where the "Damnation Alley" vehicle sat for years. Always wanted to check it out. Never did. I did climb on a Viper from the original Battlestar Galactica when we sneaked away from the tour one time, 1978-ish. And I was actually on-set when they were shooting a few scenes from Dukes of Hazzard. Saw a car chase being filmed with the General Lee and met Daisy Duke and everything! Also ran into the Bionic Woman Lindsey Wagner herself!
But sitting in the real Batmobile sounds pretty damn cool!

There are five of the original four Batmobiles still in existance. If you catch my drift. A friend used to work for the Peterson, and the stories he can tell..

TG

Yeah, I know it was the fiberglass mobile and not the bondo one, but Heeeeeeeey!

it was no fool michael keaton batmobile neither...

I sat in Kitt from Night Rider during my Disneyland trip in 1985! But it was no Batmobile. My brothers enjoyed it much more than I did.

John Lennon's Rolls Royce is on permanent display here at our museum.

I got to sit in Jack Lord's Mercury during a filming as a kid and 5 years ago ran into it again and was disappointed that it looked like one of those cars grandfathers still drive that they bought brand new in the 70s and never replaced.

8T

Hey thechikitiki, That's an awesome experience. Congrats!

Today I sat in my vintage 1992 Nissan with 200,843 miles. No one is jealous of that.

My friend got to drive Chitty Chitty Bang Bang when he was in England last year. Just out of the garage and back, a la Rainman, but still...

On 2005-01-18 17:44, purple jade wrote:
My friend got to drive Chitty Chitty Bang Bang when he was in England last year. Just out of the garage and back, a la Rainman, but still...

Our fine, four-fendered friend?! That would be the ultimate for me.
I hope it still has the retractable wings ... that would be sooooo cool!

I sat in the original Flintstones car...the one they used in the TV show.

I drove Marge Simpson's Canyonero through the streets of Springfield.

Very cool Chikitiki! My brother put together a few Barris' models (while I worked on my Creature From The Black Lagoon & The Mummy models). He even modified one to fit on a slot car to race at the local track. We did tour the Oscar Meyer Weinermobile once.

I found this recently-Motor Trend-August 1958-
"The Man Who Changes The Face Of Detroit"

coolness chiki... you were right around the corner from my new pad.

didja meet mista barris then? isn't he a hoot?!? i wish he'd preserve all those fabulous photos he has all over his walls that are fading out over the years.

On 2005-01-18 10:57, Tikiwahine wrote:
I sat in Kitt from Night Rider during my Disneyland trip in 1985! But it was no Batmobile. My brothers enjoyed it much more than I did.

Ummm - not to quibble - but if it was Kitt, it had to be Universal Studios Hollywood.. In fact I seem to remember seeing Kitt there during that time...

T

when we were young, me, my brother and sister got our picture taken with the general lee. they had it at knott's berry farm when we were there, so we got to take our picture with it.

On 2005-01-20 11:46, Tangaroa wrote:

On 2005-01-18 10:57, Tikiwahine wrote:

Ummm - not to quibble - but if it was Kitt, it had to be Universal Studios Hollywood.. In fact I seem to remember seeing Kitt there during that time...

You are correct Tang!
Heck, I was only 7. We did go to Universal Studios as well. At the time the two of them kind of melded into one in my memory. I loved seeing Jaws jump out of the water, scared the crap out of some poor lady.
Thanks for clearing that up!

T

Don't mean to threadjack, but has anybody seen the short film Trey Parker & Matt Stone did when they first got hired at Universal? It's sort of a virtual tour of the lot and pokes a lot of fun at the artificial dorkiness of it all. While on the tram, the narrator's voice is droning along like he's reading a script he's read a thousand times before. "And off to the right, watch out, it's the deadly shark from Jaws" he says in a completely disinterested monotone. The camera pans away from the shark to show the bored tour guide, and it's Steven Spielberg!

On 2005-01-20 13:15, tiki5-0 wrote:
when we were young, me, my brother and sister got our picture taken with the general lee. they had it at knott's berry farm when we were there, so we got to take our picture with it.

Didn't they wreck something like 300-400 '69 Dodge Chargers on that show?

Back in those days my little brother got in and out of cars by climbing through the (open) windows. :roll:

I photographed one of the batmobiles at a sci-fi convention last year, and it was actually a job! I'm kicking myself for not bringing my old Corgi batmobile from childhood and posing it with the real one in a foreground/background deep depth of field wide angle shot. I often photograph actors with toy props and should have thought of that.

I visited Barris's shop in 1986, and got to meet him. I painted this picture of a section of a 1963 Hot Rod magazine featuring his "El Capitola" car and had him sign the fin.

http://www.samgambino.com

On 2005-01-20 13:15, tiki5-0 wrote:

For about 6 months, Atomic Cocktail used to live about a quarter mile down the road from a vacation house owned by Mr. Bo Duke himself. John Schneider apparently does own a car made up to look like the General Lee, as the townsfolk can attest to.

Pages: 1 22 replies