Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Swanky's music shares on Swank Pad: update

Pages: 1 41 replies

S

Swank Pad is the new home of my music shares.

I have decided to start sharing some of my vinyl collection there.

Swank Blather
- Talkin' atcha

[ Edited by: swanky 2006-07-21 06:32 ]

Thanks Swanky - very kind. I'm already salivating at the thought of hearing & playing some of the stuff you've got stashed.

Trader Woody

P

Who cares?
2,352 versions of "Hawaiian War Chant."

:wink:

(Swanky gave me a CD once that had nothing but different vinyl versions of HWC and it nearly drove me sane.)

Yeah Swanky!! I love the idea of hearing your stash of classic vinyl. Thank you so much for sharing.

Thanks Swanky...you are truly a generous
one to share your tunes...the last one
is very enjoyable...makes the nightly
nordic trac routine much more bearable.
If you get that bar up and running in
Knoxville I'll run my motorcycle down for
a few Mai Tais!

Mahalo, Swanky! Realy dig them Tahitian tunes!
-Weird Unc

S

Cheers Swanky,
Much appreciated.

H
Helz posted on Mon, Jan 24, 2005 2:44 PM

Thanks Swanky!

Finally, good stuff to feed my iPod.

S

I had thought I would share the music with the TC ohana, but first bellybongo.com picked it up and then it got on a few blogs and now I am getting lots of hits every day. I am over bandwidth for the month in just a week's downloads! So, rather than pull the site and stop sharing, or only posting the url here and trying to keep it away from the outside Internet, I have made a donations page. We'll see how it goes. It's about $25 a month to cover the extra charges, so it won't take much to cover it. But then, if it gets real crazy, it could be more. I get a Gig a month for $25 more. If it goes over an extra Gig... well, we'll see.

So the link above now goe to the donatiosn page first. I'll have a new LP up there for February soon.

H
Helz posted on Thu, Jan 27, 2005 12:18 PM

Best cause I've found to donate to in a while (major global disasters notwithstanding).

Again, much appreciation, and I love the Hapa Haole Hideaway!

S
Swanky posted on Wed, Feb 2, 2005 6:57 AM

The new share is up. This month it's a Tahitian LP. I personally like this more traditional music. I'll get to some Hapa Haole music next month I think, and then maybe some true Exotica...

S
Swanky posted on Wed, Feb 2, 2005 9:26 AM

And in a weird coincidence, the share on Vegas Vic's site has a few of the same songs!

F

Swanky - I love "Vini Vini" ever since I heard it on your "Swank Exotica" cd. I tried like crazy to find the lyrics to this song and kept coming up empty-handed, dagnabbit.

S
Swanky posted on Tue, Feb 8, 2005 7:41 PM

I was so happy they danced to "Vini Vini" Friday night at Hukilau.

S
Swanky posted on Tue, Mar 1, 2005 4:34 PM

The new EP share is up. This month I share one of my all time favorites, if not the all time favorite, Sam Makia - On the Beach at Waikiki. I have other records by him, but they don't compare. The female singer on this record is just awesome. And since it's an EP, I added a bonus track of my current LP love, Lani McIntyre. That stuff is just dreamy. Makes my heart hurt when I hear it. ENJOY

K
Kono posted on Tue, Mar 1, 2005 5:33 PM

Thanks Swanky! Is Sam Makia a haole? Some of the pronunciation makes me wonder. Nice stuff. Mahalo.

S
Swanky posted on Tue, Mar 1, 2005 6:30 PM

Sam Makia isn't the singer on any of the songs. He was the houuse band leader at the Hawaiian Room in NYC I think for a long time. The other records of his I have are instrumentals.

Swanky, how are you doing on receiving donations? You got my contribution last month. I'm just wondering on the frequency you may need from frequent downloaders like me.

S

Carl Howard (You MUST Space Patrol!) pointed out that some of the songs on the iste are ripped at very low quality. My error. I have redone them all and they are all now top quality. So, if you previously downloaded these tracks (except the extras) do so again for minty fresh quality!

S

Hey Swanky, your Hukilau page won't load for me. Is it just me, or is the site down? The Swank Pad site won't load as well.

Thanks again for the great downloads.

TikisbySeamus.com

[ Edited by: seamus on 2005-03-24 14:30 ]

S

Everything is fine. Maybe a local issue on your end. Server has been up and running with only seconds of down time for months.

S

Aloha TC!
My music share has gone poo-poo-ly (crazy). That site is linked all over the place and it's doing a Gig a day in downloads. Too much. And the donations are few and far between. They don't balance it out. So....
I started this really for the ohana. From now on, there will be two pages, public and ohana. The public page will have a much lower quality set of songs and hopefully it will allow me to stay out of trouble with my ISP. I will post the high quality songs page here for you guys.
Please do not link to this page at all. It's just for the TC ohana. If it gets put out on the web, it'll just have to be removed completely.
The only way to get to the high quality share is at:

http://www.hukilau.org/songs/ohana.htm

Mahalo!

C

Swanky....another fine one...mucho mahalo...
will send donation soon...

V

On 2005-04-03 11:05, Swanky wrote:
Aloha TC!
My music share has gone poo-poo-ly (crazy).

Tell me about it brah. I'm up there between 100-200GB a month....

T

Swankster

Your note made me realize that I have still not gotten off of my cyber-ass to send in my donation for all of the great tunes you have made avaliable to us here at TC. PayPal is such a wonderfull thing! Keep it up, we do appreciate it all.

Trustar

Very sorry to hear you have not been receiving enough financial help. Just shameful that we could all lose the whole thing because of lack of consideration by some freeloaders.

Do you still need to acheive that extra $25 a month or is it higher now? This month's donation is already sent.

S
Swanky posted on Fri, Apr 8, 2005 5:46 PM

$25 a month will cover it. I'll keep it as is for now. I may chaneg it so that those linking to the site will have to navigate through other sites to get to the songs. We'll see how it comes out at the end of the month. I am already over limit for this month.

The site has been shut down, something posted about the digital copyright laws. Too bad, was looking forward to some new music.

S
Swanky posted on Sun, May 8, 2005 6:38 PM

It's still unclear what has happened. If you know my views on it, you know I think it's a load of crap. Go to my site http://www.swankpad.org and at the bottom there is a link to the blog and what I think of the music industry. BUT...

My site is on a very good friend of mine's server. His upstream provider apparently got a notice from the RIAA or someone. Just the threat of it is enough to pull the plug. His provider could shut down his entire server over this. They could stop all his business. And, for that matter, the RIAA could shut down his provider. All that means, out of total fear of the swift actions the RIAA has gotten through the DMCA, we had to pull the plug. Regardless of whether we are right or wrong. Before anyone could try to prove anything, the business would be shut down.

What's truly odd is that the email came from his provider. The IP address the email came from was theirs. When he called to find out what the complaint was or who it was from, noone said they sent the warning email. So, we are not clear if there actually was one. But, you have to be safe rather than sorry when it's your business.

They are thugs.

But I think their time is short. The music industry is going to go under. I hope it's very soon. I hope a business replaces it that is run ethically and with a real business plan, not a monopolistic abusive plan.

In my opinion, I am doing the same sort of service FM radio does. I am getting their music out there. I am spreading interest in music that is collecting dust out there for them. And maybe there is enough call for a re-issue and they can sell it again and we can get a nice copy of this 40-60 year old music. Clearly, they are not selling George Cates Polynesian Percussion any more. There are no sales to hurt!

Swanky, I'm sorry to see that a decision was made for you regarding the future (past, now?) of the downloads. Thank you again for your generousity. The fortunate lot of us got to learn about some really great music. I hope we supported you enough while it going.

K
Kenike posted on Mon, May 9, 2005 4:46 AM

But I think their time is short. The music industry is going to go under. I hope it's very soon.

I couldn't agree more..and THANK YOU for the downloads you've offered in the past. I've certainly enjoyed them.

What I don't understand is why the RIAA would get upset over offering downloads of music that you can't buy anymore anyway. They're not losing anything and neither is the artist.

[ Edited by: Juno on 2005-05-09 04:50 ]

[ Edited by: Juno on 2005-05-09 04:50 ]

D

Swanky,
I couldn't agree more. How are you impacting sales of a product that isn't naufactured anymore. I mean, look, I see the copyright side. But what about used records. I go to swap meets all the time and buy used records. Those are legit copies of the recording, but no royalties are being paid out. Its all BS. The industry is run by a bunch of luddites who fear technology instead of using it. These are the same old timers who feared audio cassettes when they were introduced. I'm sorry, I'm getting on my soap box. But the bottom line is, I'm sorry to hear about that and you're right!

S
Swanky posted on Mon, May 9, 2005 1:48 PM

Exactly. You don't pay Detroit every time you buy a used car. You don't pay the RIAA when you buy a used CD or a thrift store record.

They are likely uninterested in a CD that would only sell a few hundred copies. They won't make it.

There really needs to be a way to share out of print music. It has no impact on the corporation. If any impact, it would be positive. It raises interest in music only known to a few people with the records before. It might even lead to a use of the song in some medium that would generate income like a commercial or movie...

D

Exactly. The RIAA has some kind of deal worked out with net radio stations like Live365 (love your station by the way!). One solution would be to allow people offering out of print material on the net, to pay a small (and I mean small) royalty fee, put a RIAA approved logo on the site that says the downloads are OK, and leave it alone. That way, everybody's happy. Just an idea though.

S

Been quiet on this front, but now I am back! And better!

I am putting my shared LPs on my blog and will get in full gear very soon. All the actual shared music for download will be on rapidshare for legal reasons.

Nothing but vintage vinyl! In fact, my equipment has been broken for over a year. Much over a year. But this week everything is back and ready to be reassembled and start recording LP to digital again. The pile of records has grown a lot in that time. I will put up a share every week and hope to have something fresh off the computer this weekend. It's a lovely old school Hawaiian record I have been playing a lot for months now.

So, come check out the Swank Blather and I'll share my music once again.

hi swanky

looking forward to your newest downloads. i went back and read the whole thread. no need to dig that up again of course just grateful the faithful like you and Vic and Kono are posting this great music.

Treeeemendous!!!

Welcome Back, Bra! Can't wait to hear what you've got to share. The Enoch Light record that you put up last week is a great (as is the Hukilau 2002 Video, as are the Menus, as are the amazing vintage slides, blah blah blah...)!

Keep up the excellent work!

[ Edited by: Traitor Vic 2006-07-22 22:18 ]

S

Just put up one of my all time favorite records, Perez PRado and Rosemary Clooney's "A Touch of Tabasco."

There is a delay on new recordings. I got everything hooked up and found the problem I had before was still there. I am at a loss. I have had my receiver repaired and my equilizer repaired and bought new cables and tried everything. Still there is garbage coming through. I am going nuts! I'll figure it out soon though.

ground loop maybe on the turntable. It's common and an easy fix

IZ

On 2006-07-23 12:17, Swanky wrote:
Just put up one of my all time favorite records, Perez PRado and Rosemary Clooney's "A Touch of Tabasco."

Great LP... Thanks!

S

On 2006-07-23 17:01, alohacurrent wrote:
ground loop maybe on the turntable. It's common and an easy fix

Not even getting that far. Radio, CD anything. I had the equilizer checked out, okay. I had the receiver checked out, okay. I bought new patch cables between the two and I still have the exact same problem. It sounds like the signal is way peeked and distorted. I'll have to dig back in there and try a few experiments to see just what the issue is. Maybe there is some sort of interference? I just am clueless at this point. But, we'll get it fixed. I have a lot of stuff to share in the mean time.

Very nice tunes Swanky....thanks for posting and great to have more music available.
I have a few Prado instrumental cds....other than his trademarks grunts and whoops...
and I really like his style with vocals.

Pages: 1 41 replies