Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Finally, a jury that truly is made up of MY peers...

Pages: 1 0 replies

Attorney meets the 'jury pool from hell'
S-e-x, drugs and bias -- prospective jurors acknowledge all
Tuesday, January 18, 2005 Posted: 4:30 PM EST (2130 GMT)

MEMPHIS, Tennessee (AP) -- Defense attorney Leslie Ballin called it the "jury pool from hell."

The group of prospective jurors was summoned to listen to a case of Tennessee trailer park violence.

Right after jury selection began last week, one man got up and left, announcing, "I'm on morphine and I'm higher than a kite."

When the prosecutor asked if anyone had been convicted of a crime, every juror except one replied in the affirmative. One prospective juror said that he had been arrested and taken to a mental hospital after he almost shot his nephew. He said he was provoked because his nephew just would not come out from under the bed.

Another would-be juror said he had had alcohol problems and was arrested for soliciting *** from an undercover officer. "I should have known something was up," he said. "She had all her teeth."

Another prospect volunteered he probably should not be on the jury: "In my neighborhood, everyone knows that if you get Mr. Ballin (as your lawyer), you're probably guilty." He was not chosen.

The case involved a woman accused of hitting her brother's girlfriend in the face with a brick.

In case ya think I'm kidding, here's the link to CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/01/18/shallow.jury.pool.ap/index.html

In another interview, she commented about "how shallow the jury pool" was.

Yup, if I ever think someone I know needs hittin' wif a brick I'm taking 'em there, first.

Pages: 1 0 replies