Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Tiki Archeology-The Tikis-Monterey Park,CA

Pages: 1 16 replies

I have had this lp for a few years. Thought it was just a cha-cha record with a cool cover (From Hollywood To Acapulco a musical tour of glamourous places). Turnes out that side 2 is kind of exotic (cool version of Hawaiian Eye). The best part was something I had not noticed before...

Photography-Newcomb Studio-Pasadena

Cover Location- The Tiki's- San Gabriel- Calif.

Enjoy!

You are instantly even cooler than you were five minutes ago.

Any chance of a more detailed photo/scan of this?

I posted a couple of 3D photos of a mug from The Tikis a week or so ago, by the way, under "Tiki Anaglyphs" or something...

My painting based on the vintage matchbook of The Tikis is still available at the Shooting Galley in S.F. (it was in the back room of Otto's Tiki Art now Show...)

[ Edited by: Cherry Capri on 2005-01-19 04:28 ]

That's a very cool painting, too.

The place is still there...sort of. Its now a paintball park. Not sure how much tiki is still there though.

Thanks for posting that, Bongofury. Now I've got to find myself a copy of that album - for archeological purposes, you understand. Is the music any good?

On 2005-01-20 11:17, Digitiki wrote:
The place is still there...sort of. Its now a paintball park. Not sure how much tiki is still there though.

??? I thought the paintball park was in the Lake Elsinore location of The Tikis (the new location of The Tikis which was never completed).

Does anyone here know the name of the paintball park?

Just found it:

It's called Jungle Island. One of their play fields is called Volcanos. It has caverns, waterfalls, caves, and uh volcanos. Here's a picture of part of it:

More info here: http://www.jungle-island.com/index2.asp

Side 1 is latin-cha cha, which I like. Side 2 is better. Flutes, violins, bongos, and vibes with a latin beat. Hawaiian Eye, Adventures in Paradise, Mr. Lucky (Mancini), Theme From The Apartment, etc.

A

I have that record too, and I remember listening to it to decide whether or not to record it digitally. I wanted to like the music, but the verdict was no, since it sounded kinda flat overall to me. Nice cover though, and thanks for posting that fact about its location Bongofury. Maybe it's even written on the cover and I didn't notice, eh?

-Randy

Randy.....you are right. Standard Latin Cha-Cha on side 1, TV and Movie themes on side 2. Bongos, flutes, and strings. I do like Hawaiian Eye and Adventures in Paradise though. The Tikis location is listed under the song titles on the rear.

I realize that paintball games are all in fun and all that, but I think it's bizarrely ironic (and slightly amusing) that a place originally the intended site of such peaceful festivities should be turned into a paintball park. That's a neat picture, by the way!

[ Edited by: procinema29 on 2005-01-21 01:24 ]

B

Grew up in the hills above The Tikis, didnt know there was a train ride there.

A custom job built by Arrow was the famous ‘Banana Train’ ride at Mystery Island at Pacific Ocean Park at Santa Monica Pier, CA. Imagine riding a plantation train through a thrilling volcano eruption dark ride, as you’re shaken by earthquakes! At the time, it was one of the best attractions the park had to offer; and a major breakthrough. The P.O.P. Banana Trains ran for awhile at a restaurant called ‘The Tikis’ in Monterey Park, Ca, after the park closed down, which featured a Hawaiian-themed amusement park created by the visionary Danny Balsz. The disposition of the trains is unknown since ‘The Tikis’ closed down, but if you know anything, many are eager to hear!

"The Banana Trains" at Mystery Island-Pacific Ocean Park, Santa Monica, CA

T
HT

Sad to see that is the final fate of the unfinished Tikis.

Michelle and Hanford, that Critiki link feature is great, now one is only a click away from basic info and images. (Hanford, all you need to do now is link all previous TC threads pertaining to the subject the same way...hehehe)

Michelle, for Critiki info:
Danny attempted to open Lake Elsinore yes, and never got a permit, but it was an almost COMPLETLEY rebuilt Tiki amusement park, ready to go, which made his story that much more tragic. He ran out of money, and over the years (in the 80s) floods and mudslides did their damage.
All the photos are from page 108 to page 112 are from Lake Elsinore (x-ept the dancers postcard), there was nothing left to shoot of the first one in Monterey Park.

They were taken in March '93 and in November '94, when I let an expedition with Otto, Jeff Berry, Dug Miller and modcommers Pete Moruzzi, Chris Nichols and John English to the site. Danny was being kicked off the property and was selling all that was not bolted to the ground. We missed some fine Tikis he had sold to The Sea store in San Pedro before, but everybody got away with some carving or lamp that day.

A fine day, wondering through a forgotten Tiki park and excavating artifacts for one's collection...

I went there with Domenic Priore and videotaped some stuff, which one day I hope to release on DVD.

H

Thanks so much for the elaboration, Sven! I've added it to my todo list.

Pages: 1 16 replies