Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

TIPS for creating a new tiki with a palmtree....

Pages: 1 9 replies

hi,
I have found a palmtree but not dead, it's fresh, Can I go ahead or may I wait a few months to get palmtree dried ???

come on guys......
I've tried to peel off the palm tree but it's very difficult. How may I to peel off???? Cutting cutting cutting or what?????

M

First of all, welcome to this group. On using "fresh" uncured palms, I will say that it probably depends on the type of palm. I have mostly Sabal and Coco palm that are very cured (over 6 minths) and they are a little moist inside still. The moisture doesn't pose an immediate problem until the carved/exposed wood begins to dry faster than they would normally left alone and intact. The chance of cracking is prevalent when the wood is exposed. It's not prohibitive, but, it is a risk none the less. It would be a shame to spend hours shaping the wood and then have it crack after it dries.

As far as de-barking, I will allow an "expert" to weigh in.

Hola, and again, welcome

palmtree seem to be like these ones

Just carve it......worry about it later. It'll look fine no matter how it cures....your wasting time.

Get on it!

I mean that palm trees I have are "worn" and the shown on the picture are peeled off......

M

looks like Cocos or (Cocos nucifera) Carve it!!! then post it.

Are you talking about getting the bark off the tree? Try using a drawknife to peel the bark off.

B

The knife works well but I like to stand the log up on end and start at the bottom by peeling it back and chopping at it where it attaches with a small hatchet. I have only peeled 2 and that worked best. Let me know how it works for you.
Bob

You can peel it any number of ways...start by peeling it like a banana and then remove the frond by any means necessary (box cutter, chisel, axe, etc) however you feel most comfortable doing it. I usually use a box cutter, because what's left on the palm frond can be easily incorporated into the tiki carving as hair or whatever...tiki freak is right you're wasting time....CARVE!

wet or dry carve it up!

"Hey, at least I'm housebroken."

[ Edited by: Polynesiac on 2005-01-20 21:08 ]

Pages: 1 9 replies