Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

I need a Hot/Warm tiki drink to defrost my bones please

Pages: 1 12 replies

B

Hi everybody!

Im trying to find a good HOT drink recipe for this exceptionally cold January in the Northeast (-15 F with windchill last night).

I think Im gonna try Freakbear's Tiki Nog, and there's always Kona Coffee Grog, but I'm not a coffee drinker, and that Nog sounds like it'll add ANOTHER 30lbs to my not-so-delicate frame.

So, any other suggestions? Maybe just some good flaming offerings...warm your hands by the glow of the buring 151 before swilling it down?

Thanks in advance.

Hot Buttered Rum!

Pat of Butter, water, rum, brown sugar(I use demarara), cinnamon, nutmeg(I like to add a dash or three of bitters myself)

TASTY! And it's pretty much guaranteed that you have the ingredients at home already.

B

Excellent!! How could I have spaced on hot buttered rum?!?! Hot Toddy has been the only thing comming into my mind today (and thats not very tiki). Great one tikiwahine!

Ok, we've got a winner for tonights drink...anyone got another one? Supposed to be a blizzard in New England this weekend, so I'll be stuck in the Lava Lounge(basement bar) all weekend. Need a nice variety of hot drinks, and need to buy any ingredients I dont have by tmrw (pre-snow).

Thanks again tikiwahine!

http://bargoyle.yafro.com/

Here's a couple I found online:

Hot Rum Chocolate

1 oz Dark Rum
5 oz hot Cocoa
1 tbsp Whipped Cream
1 tsp Sugar

Combine rum and cocoa in an irish coffee cup, and sweeten to taste. Top with cream, sprinkle with grated chocolate, and serve.

This one SOUNDS tiki, but I'm not so sure. At least it has two important tiki elements: a)Rum and b)It's flaming(also sounds wayyy to complicated)

Flaming Tiki Torch recipe

1/2 oz Malibu Coconut Rum
1/4 oz Peach Schnapps
1 splash Pineapple Juice
1/4 oz DeKuyper Razzmatazz
6 oz Smirnoff Ice
1 splash Bacardi 151 Proof Rum

Place 2 highball glasses next to each other, one right side up, and one upside down. Stack a shot glass on on in between the two highball glasses.

Combine the Malibu rum, peach schnapps, and pineapple juice in a cocktail shaker half-filled with ice cubes, and shake well.

Fill the right side up tall glass half way with Smirnoff Ice. Pour the contents of your cocktail shaker into the shot glass. Add a splash of Razzmatazz and 151 to the shot glass.

Next step is optional; either light the top of the shot with a match, or blow fire at it with 151 in your mouth. Then, knock the shot glass into the tall glass and serve.

B

Damn!! That's 3 now! I wish I had a door prize or something for ya.

The hot chocolate sounds great! Gonna try that one tonight too! (I've already had some hot buttered rum...wasnt as good as i remember them being, but I've also never had them sober, as a first drink)

That flaming tiki torch has me intrigued also. And I have half the ingredients, the pineapple, 151 and peach schnapps, in house (and i have NO idea how the peach schnapps got here!)

Might have to stop at the liquor store & buy the other ingredients and see if I can't burn down the lava lounge.

Thanks again!

http://bargoyle.yafro.com/

haha, fantastic bargoyle! You're very welcome!

I picked up a fresh pineapple last night, and have one of those corkscrew jobbies to easily remove the insides, leaving the perfect vessel.

I'll see of I can post a couple of pictures this weekend.

One thing I'd like to see here is the proper way to build a garnish. I have a heck of a time trying to figure out how to balance the straw, mint, cherry, pineapple &/or umbrella so you can still drink out of the thing. Thank dog it's winter or I'd have to deal with flowers too! :)

Coming Soon: Garnishment 101

Mahalo!

B

Drinks in a pinapple are the best! Amd those corkscrew corers rock. The fresh pinapple they leave behind is sooo tasty.

We did home-made booloo's (served in the pinapple) last weekend. Everyone thought they were great. The only problem is the price of pinapples.

As far as garnish, I must admit, its one area where I slack-off. All else is fresh squeezed, hand mixed, served in the appropriate vessel, but then garnished with a cherry stabbed to a wedge of lemon or lime. Usually stabbed by an umbrella.

For the non-tikiphiles who come to visit, thats an elaborate garnish. For those in the know...a bit of a different story.

I think the book PAD...or maybe PAD PARTY has a few pages devoted to extravagant (and sometimes flaming) garnishes.

I'm curious to whateveryone else does. Are garnishes becomming a lost art, or does everyone take the time to put them together and spice up a drinks presentation?

new pics are up: http://bargoyle.yafro.com/

I've found the Painkiller with Pussers Rum to be a great wintery drink - Its not necessarily heated but it could be! As far
a garnish - nutmeg is the way to with this cherry and Orange slice are pretty.
fromthe website:
http://www.pussers.com/rum/cocktails

The Painkiller® is a blend of Pusser's Rum with 4 parts pineapple juice, 1 part cream of coconut and 1 part orange juice served over the rocks with a generous amount of fresh nutmeg on top. You have a choice of numbers 2, 3 or 4, which designate the amount of Pusser's Rum! Cheers!
http://www.pussers.com/rum/cocktails

I just transcribed three different hot buttered rum recipes. If anyone would like them I'd be happy to e-mail them out! They are from the Grog Log, Intoxica & Trader Vic's Bartender's Guide(revised, 1972)

Right now I'm sipping a mug of strong hot tea with a shot of Grand Marnier stirred in.

B

TikiWahine,

I'd love the TV recipe. I have grog log & intoxica (ordered Taboo table in dec., but havent gotten it yet!). And the painkiller is one of my favorites. Was doing them on new years this year, while mixing singapore slings for anyone who got near me ("oh, cmon...try one!!! You'll love it I swear!!") I'm sure my antics got old really fast, but I DID get alot of people to try a sling!

Gonna start a new thread soon on tiki appetisers (doing another luau this year...roast the pig, etc etc) so start thinking of cool "exotic" fare for snacking all day while a pig roasts!

Gonna be 2nd weekend in August I think, and anyone who's nearby is more than welcome to stop by.

Mahalo on the cocktail ideas!

On 2005-01-31 17:19, Bargoyle wrote:
I'd love the TV recipe. I have grog log & intoxica (ordered Taboo table in dec., but havent gotten it yet!).

It's on it's way! I'm also waiting on taboo table. I had to order it and The BOT Icon version through Amazon.com since Amazon.ca won't get them 'till Jan '06!

Appetizers are a great idea, they really add to a party. Have fun with your luau! I almost did a pig at my wedding last year, but I just couldn't deal with the thought of a cute pig staring the vegan guests in the face.

B

Thanks for the TV recipie. Cant wait to try it out.

I may have a similar problem with the luau as I have quite a few veggie and jewish friends (and a few who are both!). So I'll have to have some meatless, kosher alternatives (not-dogs & bocca burgers anyone?) to the pig.

Anyway thanks again. Appetizer thread being composed. Get those creative juices flowing!

Pages: 1 12 replies