Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Coconut (and other flavored) Rums...What are best?

Pages: 1 18 replies

Okay, getting away from our sarcasms and topics or religion and politics, lets get to some important issues:

What is the best coconut rum? I recently tried the Capt Morgan and I'm addicted!
Although I'm not a big drinker (unlike most of you :wink:), I have tried other flavored rums and been turned off. But I must admit that I really enjoy the coconut flavored Capt. Morgans.

Is the spiced rum better? Never tried that one straight off the shelf.

Needing some liquered-up advice...

:sheckymug:

-C.

H

Someone talked me into trying Redrum last Halloween, and I really can't endorse it. If I recall correctly, it was kinda like Bacardi Meets Southern Comfort. Yech. Kinda fruity and sickly sweet.

There is just one spice for rum that I like: The taste of old age, of ancient barrels, of creaking planks, of the Seven Seas...the RUM taste. THAT'S what you can find in a good Demarara.

All the other stuff is to be added through cocktail alchemy, not beforehand, that's like bottled winespritzers.

I believe Cpt. Morgan would not be very happy about how his name is used for altered rums nowadays.
I'm sorry I am so dogmatic about this, Stingray, but it has always been a pet peeve of mine how at some point Bacardi, Captain Morgan and MALIBU (!) cornered the rum market in America and made any other brands hard to get.

...X-ept Myer's, that's always a classic. There recently was athread about rums, wasn't there? I recommend experimentation supported through the Grog Log and Intoxica, go out and seek the elusive ones!

I really like the Cruzan coconut rum. A little o' that and some pineapple juice with a 151 float, and I'm in heaven.

Thank you, Drive thru

F

I like Redrum.

I try to stay away from the Capt. Morgan spiced stuff, but i a had the CM Private Stock, (Private Barrel?) and that is good. Has a vanilla taste and it finishes with an almost buttery aftertaste.

On another liquor note, has anyone tried Cyclone? It's new stuff from bacardi. I have only seen it, and its rum with blue agave and lime juice. sounds crappy to me and I doubt it will ever find a place in my bar.

K

Don Lorenzo Mango Rum - that's very good... You'll have the bottle forever, as just a dash will permeate any drink with a heavenly mango undertone.

OS

my recent curiousity led me to finally brake the standard mold of malibu. although malibu is nice,
parrot bay is slightly higher in alcohol % and at most places is cheaper.
cruzan: definitely cheaper and more kick while maintaining the aroma of the isles

i found whaler's coconut rum to be the highest in alcohol content and definitely the cheapest. this is my new favorite

i would love for myers to do something flavored. man i love myers. kind of like that punk who spikes my water when i am drunk enough.

P

Flavored rums have limited use. Redrum isn't bad. I think it makes a great rum and coke. I have not tried Voodoo yet, but the spiced rums are generally disappointing. I can't think of any reason to use Capt. Morgan for anything, other than it was the only rum you could get. Cruzan does make some decent flavored rums. I like both the coconut and the banana. They're a bit sweet and there's really not much you can do with them, but as flavored rums go they're about the best.

The rum I am enjoying most lately is a Tahitian rum called Noa Noa Rhum Brun (brown rum). It has a lot to recommend it. As a sipping rum it's pretty nice. Put it in a snifter and swirl it around like a cognac and you'll get legs much like with a fine brandy. The bouquet is butterscotchy with vanilla and floral qualities. The tast is very unique. Rum with hints of caramel and vanilla and a little spice. No, it's not a spiced rum, just a well aged one. Not quite the Barbancourt 15, but it very nice in it's own right. It mixes well, too, and makes a really top notch Mai Tai. Here's a link...

http://www.tahitiariki.com/en_rhum.html

C

I also had a mango rum whilst I was last in the Bahamas....good stuff, considering that most rum I've had there tastes like it was stored in canisters made of old corrugated tin roofs....few things are as tropical to me as is mango, and it really added fruit flavor when needed...especially since it is not always easy to find mango juice around the states...maybe in the hispanic section of the supermarket...no, I think flavored rums DO serve a purpose

T
thejab posted on Tue, Oct 8, 2002 2:54 PM

I haven't tried it yet but Cruzan coconut rum is recommended in Intoxica.

bigbro wrote:
"All the other stuff is to be added through cocktail alchemy, not beforehand, that's like bottled winespritzers."

Usually they add sugar too, so it tastes too sweet for my tastes.

Even Myers's (note the misuse of the posessive on the bottle next time you're drunk) has caramel coloring added to make it dark. Even so, it's still a great rum.

One "rum" I won't buy is Whaler's. It's made in California in a factory and I think it tastes lousy. I cringe every time I see Trader Vic's using it.

The Jamaican coconut flavoured rum, Koko Kanu is recommended by my 'Drinks & Drinking' guide. (It gets 4 out of 5 stars).

"Taste:Rounded, rich with nice underlying rum notes supporting a dessicated coconut, madeira cake & vanilla, with a cocoa powder, milk chocolate garnish".

Well, I toss my hat in with the unflavoured rum gang, but this sounds like it's worth a taste.

Trader Woody

When I was a young stoner/teenager I tried that clear/blue Bacardi rum and it made me puke! I stayed away from any rum entirely until I went to Hawaii in 2000. I couldn't believe the marvelous drinks I had there were made with rum!
I had thought all rum tasted like that blue Bacardi sh*t.
I slowly edged away from beer consumption and experimented/researched with tropical drinks. Now I am a little more enlightened in my drinking thanks to the good bartenders of Hawaii and the recipes in the Mondo Exotica CD booklet. My favorite rum by far is Trader Vic's authentic dark rum. Of course I have yet to try them ALL...................
Oh, and by the way I've just consumed three Mai-Tai's. Orgeat, lime juice, mint sprigs(didn't eat them), curacoa and all. Potent.

I've been drinking rum for a very short time now (due to advances in Medical Technology) and, so, don't consider myself to be too awfully knowledgable on the intricicies. I have, however, found one Spiced Rum that I like. The Home Made kind. I used the recipe from W. Park Kerr's "Rum & Tiki Cookbook" and it worked out pretty well. Much damn better than Captain Morgan's, anyway. Even with it being so much better I would only use it in the few drinks that actually call for a spiced rum. It's not much for sipping. It's kind of like starting a good cocktail two weeks in advance.

[ Edited by: Traitor Vic on 2003-01-31 23:20 ]

M

The Voodoo rum from the Redrum people is good only for the design of the bottle. Otherwise, look for Sailor Jerry if you like spiced rum.

-martin

Are you kidding...The best Coconut rum is " BRINLEY'S GOLD COCONUT RUM " hands down . I can't find another that comes close , at 70 proof too and very smooth.

P

I have had the Brinley's before. It's not bad. Cruzan is much easier to get.

I'm not much for flavored rums, but would have to go with the Brinley's line as far as quality. Their coffee rum is great. Cruzan, however, is far more accessible and the price is usually right. I've been trying my hand at infusing my own rum. I've not mastered it yet, but it's been a fun experiment.

T
twitch posted on Sun, Jun 7, 2009 7:42 PM

In a moment of weakness (may have been slightly intoxicated), I forewent my usual nose-up attitude (usually it lasts a minute or so before the urge to try anything new overwhelms me; in this case it lasted a few seconds) and picked up a damn bottle of Sailor Jerry's spiced.
And I like it. Hints of cherry & vanilla.
Purely (obviously) for quick drinks & shots, for uncomplicated enjoyment or what I call my McDonald's Moments.
No slander to Jerry's in that regards, tho'.

Pages: 1 18 replies