Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

New Carver

Pages: 1 20 replies

O

Hay Guys here are my first 4 carvings that I have kept, I chalked some up as practice... any feedback would be helpfully, they are all different woods, different sizes and different finishes.. Again trying to learn so was playing around alot.

Thanks for looking and any feedback

[ Edited by: OnoTiki on 2005-02-11 01:06 ]

O

Got the Link to work

[ Edited by: OnoTiki on 2005-01-22 05:46 ]

B

Onotiki, those are great for your first four. A lot of carvers never get that good. The stains look a bit blotchy but No Big deal. Time will improve . I fixed the linke for you.

I like it too...nice first effort...I like
the "spikes" above the eyes....something
a little different!

O

Benzart;
Thanks for fixing the links, not sure what I was doing wrong. Yes the sanding, staining sealing is something I need to work more on. I think I need more coats of stain/oil (normally I just use one) and I think I need to sand them down better. Thanks for the feed back. Here is a side view of the “Spikes” they are part of a head dress.

[ Edited by: OnoTiki on 2005-01-22 17:06 ]

O

Humm I am following the directions on how to post the pictures but still seem to be having problems.

B

Hey OnoTiki, click on the 'Edit" for my post here and see how the entry should look.

O

Got it :) thanks for the help

M

If only my first attempts were as good as these. You got the juice bruddah! Keep carvin! Keep post'n what you carve. You have found your personal Ohana! We are here to support you!

Welcome!

O

Here is the one I am just finishing, it’s my biggest one so far, and I ruffed it then sanded it and oil/stained it... and will sand it down again. You can see on the ruff where I put stain on the raised parts so I could see better at what I wanted to do. It’s the same when I stain it the first time as a whole; it helps me see what I need to fix and re sand. Not sure if this is a good way to do it but its working for me atm. The sanding, staining, sealing, finishing parts are still a problem for me.

Had planed on just having an open mouth, then decided to leave it, but never made the teeth. Think I might try some teeth and if they don’t look good, it’s easy to just take them out.

Anyway I hope to finish it this weekend maybe put a reddish stain on it... who knows.

[ Edited by: OnoTiki on 2005-01-24 21:47 ]

[ Edited by: OnoTiki on 2005-01-24 21:51 ]

How's it coming, Ono?

On 2005-02-10 09:22, Aaron's Akua wrote:
How's it coming, Ono?

Yeah, ono kine Tiki!

I can see improvement from the first to the last.Not that the pics. are in that order.You can tell where you started and which one you may have ended with.Obvious your improving from one to the next.Looks pretty good.A little out of porportion but that will come with practice.The first one I ever did looked like a canabalized tribal animal of some sorts on crack that got smashed by a ups truck on his way home from an all night drunk.Come to think of it maybe that was the last one I did.

O

Ok I finely finished this TiKi. I did the teeth and stained it Red. I used a Red stain mixed with some wood oil; it seemed to go on a lot smother that way.

OnoTiki
PS the teeth look better then they do in
the picture

[ Edited by: OnoTiki on 2005-02-11 01:14 ]

O

Maybe someone can post a thread on sanding/finishing techniques. What you have used and what you find works the best. I am sure there was probably one already. Maybe we can bump it if you know where it is. Or start fresh for all us new cravers.

[ Edited by: OnoTiki on 2005-02-11 01:06 ]

That is lookin' sweet, Ono. I bumped a couple of threads up for you - one is mine. It's amazing how much feedback you get when you ask the right questions. I think that's really cool that you and your wife Tikitita carve together.

Aloha!

A-A

O

Thanks Aaron for bumping the threads, I am checking them out now. Ya kind of cool that my wife likes to carve now too. Makes spending hours in the garage much easier and buying new tools a snap ļ

Maybe someone can post a thread on sanding/finishing techniques. What you have used and what you find works the best. I am sure there was probably one already. Maybe we can bump it if you know where it is. Or start fresh for all us new cravers.

Black&Decker makes a nice little sander called "The Mouse." I used to hate sanding until I got one.
http://www.blackanddecker.com/ProductGuide/ProductDetail.aspx?PID=9557

C

How long does it take for palm to dry enough to carve? Is there any secrets, because I'm so anxious to start my first carving I keep cutting into a wet log.

O

I have never carved any Palm so I do not know. All the woods I have carved are Simi hard woods, mostly Mango and Norfolk Pine.

OnoTiki

B

Norfolk Island pine is really beaytiful when it gets spalted with all the colors. Nice carving wood

Pages: 1 20 replies