Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

San Francisco area tiki recommendations?

Pages: 1 8 replies

A good friend of mine is in San Francisco attending a conference for a few days and asked if she could bring me any place-specific tiki mugs, etc. This has come up rather suddenly and I've not researched it except to note that Tiki Road Trip lists a slew of places. Would anyone have any recommendations for me using a friend's valuable tourist time to score more material goods for myself?
On a related note, she is somewhat open-minded to tiki places (she did join a cadre of my friends on a 500 mile drive to Omni Hut one weekend), especially those with good food, so, what would those of you familiar with the area recommend as far as THE tiki place to see? Thanks!

On 2005-01-22 14:59, tikijackalope wrote:
so, what would those of you familiar with the area recommend as far as THE tiki place to see? Thanks!

Come on Tikijackalope,
You know the Tonga Room is on top of the list.
Hope she has fun.

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2005-01-22 16:10 ]

K
Kono posted on Sat, Jan 22, 2005 4:06 PM

The Tonga Room is great but doesn't have much for sale right now. I think they were asking $15 each for the mugs and they were just new generic ones that you could get online for six or seven. I bought a little Mr peanut shot glass for $5. It doesn't say Tonga Room on it though.

Trader Vics has mucho for sale. They have t-shirts, and a couple of nice anniversary mugs in the front display. They will also sell some of the barware (as of a couple of weeks ago) like Mai Tai glasses, coconut mugs, Tiki Bowl, and others I forget. They range from $10 to $40. The Tiki Bowl is the coolest but it was $40. Its a bowl supported by three moai.

M

That's probably about it for signature products. Tonga should still have their large hurricane glasses, which are pretty nice. And Vise Grip;s Bamboo Bar in Fairfax might still have some of the bamboo mugs with his logo on them that I made for him last year.

Go see Vic's Emeryville, Vic's SF if you like lousy service (kidding, Kono, kidding!), The Conga Lounge, Tonga Room, and get a Sabotage at Trad'r Sams if you need a little dive in your life.

[ Edited by: martiki on 2005-01-22 16:43 ]

K
Kono posted on Sat, Jan 22, 2005 5:53 PM

On 2005-01-22 16:41, martiki wrote:
Go see Vic's Emeryville, Vic's SF if you like lousy service (kidding, Kono, kidding!),

:lol:

You guys have to answer to Otto now.

I would've loved to have gone to Emeryville but we didn't have a car so you do what you can...

By the way tikijackalope, the manager said that all the mugs are cheaper in Emeryville. He said the Tiki Bowl was just $30 there.

Edited to spell tikijackalope correctly.

[ Edited by: Kono on 2005-01-22 17:55 ]

The Trader Vic's tiki bowl you are speaking of...is it the one in picture 8 of 101 at http://www.tikiroom.net/gallery/vics/aag ?

K
Kono posted on Sun, Jan 23, 2005 4:35 PM

On 2005-01-23 15:43, tikijackalope wrote:
The Trader Vic's tiki bowl you are speaking of...is it the one in picture 8 of 101 at http://www.tikiroom.net/gallery/vics/aag ?

Pretty much. They were new and seemed to have sharper lines. And they are black. I'm kind of pissed I didn't get one now that I think about it.

M
Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.