Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

BobFj40's first Tiki. Let me know what you think

Pages: 1 19 replies

B

This is my first tiki that I finished. The other one roted on me. Aaron gave me the insperation for this one. Let me know what I should improve on. I know I will be using power tools more next time. It took me about 40 houres with a chisel. Thanks

D

Dude , if that just your first tiki, do not stop. More, more picture, and more tikis.

Nice Tiki.Try a chainsaw.Be careful not to hack half a leg off like i did a few years ago.Took 3 years to get it to work again.The leg not the saw.

Screw the chainsaw, stay with the chisels. Hey 40, I gots an fzj80. Best first tiki I've seen in a WHILE.

H

sweet tiki dude

cant wait to see more stuff - keep it up

M

Beutiful Reloy! For a first attempt it is with no exception that you continue carving and keep us all posted. Welcome to the board.

Mahalo

D

Great job! Apparently having your cat around helps tremendously.

B

WOW, How did I miss this post?? That is a Spectacular First Tiki. The Cat ain't bad either. The only thing I can suggest is to get yourself a fw more logs and prepare to make More tikis. Once you do a couple more like this, let your Own creative juices flow and make up your own tiki style. Stick with the chisels as they are working Well for you. Oh, and on more thing, Hang around that Aaron guy more... If he inspired THIS out of you, let him do some more..
And AAALWAYS take pictures and post them here. Well Done.

Wow, great work Bob.
That is an amazing job, it inspires me to get some chisels and get carving.

Keep us all posted of future tikis you carve.

Just kidding about using a chainsaw.Not abaout the leg.I carve everything by hand now.The wife gave it away to one of the least desirable neighbors.But not before waving a bad luck god across it several times.Now that I am thinking about it.She is the one that handed it to me and said go carve something now with a big smile on her face.

NICE, very nice. Please be sure to keep posting your work.

NICE, very nice. Please be sure to keep posting your work.

Ok Bob, give it up...where'd you get the wood? Did you find it local?

Hey Bob, nice tiki! If I inspired that, I'm completely stoked. But really, give the credit to Leroy, who has inspired so many of us. I've only carved 5 tikis in my life, and I still haven't finished the 5th!

You MUST show that piece on my "Leroy" post. No Excuses! It will join all of the outrageous Leroy-inspired art that the other TC artists have posted there.

I have to say that really came out nice. I love the multi-colored effect you got by leaving on the bark on at all the right places. And I agree with Chikitiki, you really don't need power tools for palm (at least the smaller pieces). It's so soft and stringy, the chisels work just fine, and with lots more control, too. Burrs just tend to bind up with all of the fiber.

That palm you found was the perfect shape to match the Leroy. I had to do lots of shaping with a grinder/Lancelot to get that effect on mine.

You've obviously got the knack. What's the next project? Keep us posted!

Cheers,

Aaron

That is an amazing first carving! Looks like you got the knack, my friend. Keep 'em coming!

B

I just wanted to thank every one for there great complements on my Tiki. I am going to carve a 5' by 16" palm log or I will try a 2'log cut in half to make a mask. I will keep the pic coming as I make new things.
Thank you everyone for the tips as I was carving.
Bob

I'm not a carver, but as an avid tiki collector I must say that I'd most certainly invest in something you carved. Beautiful work. I love the simplicity of the design. No teeth or intricate tattoos to deter from the elegance of it. Pure raw tiki. Keep up the good work.

Pretty sophisticated for a first piece. Can't wait to see #s 2&3. Nice work.

MD

Amazing first tiki, the talent in this place just keeps poppin' up!

T

I can't wait to see number 217. Leroy would be proud

Pages: 1 19 replies