Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

King Kukulele Presents Tiki Taix IX on January 28th.

Pages: 1 8 replies

Its the first last Friday of the year and time for another Tiki Taix Show!! Friday January 28th, 2005 10PM No Cover!!

Ukulele impresario Jumpin’ Jim Beloff, author of numerous ukulele books including the grandaddy of them all “A Pictorial History of the Ukulele”, and his lovely wife Leapin’ Liz will join us for Tiki Taix IX. Not only is the Beloff ukulele songbook series the industry standard these days, but Jim and Liz are also behind the incredibly successful “Fluke” and “Flea” ukuleles. Here’s your once in a lifetime opportunity to get up close and personal with the people who have single-handedly opened up the doors to the ukulele world for millions of people as they play a few of their original tunes on their original ukuleles!

PLUS

Take a sneak peak into the newly formed ukulele club of Napa Valley, The Wine Country WAIKO Flea Jumpers! Led by the one and only Iuka Grogg of the Maikai Gents. The Waiko Flea Jumpers inaugural meeting happened just this week and we have a live report from Iuka Grogg in Napa Valley.

ALSO

“La Mer” is a beautiful French song that was later translated into “Beyond The Sea” and sung by Bobby Darin. Tonight we hear it in its original form as we celebrate the Return of TikiFrog!! That’s right, Mr. and Mrs. TikiFrog are back in the states and ready to stake a claim in the LBC! Thats Long Beach City, California. Tonight we will toast our friendly, frere from France as he and his wife return from “Beyond The Sea”.

AND

King Kukulele and The Friki Tikis will perform songs of nostalgia and fun. You may have heard a few of these numbers on the King Kukulele and The Friki Tikis CD. Other songs of the season will be played as well as a couple off the cuff. One never knows what one might hear at Tiki Taix.

PLUS

View a rare vintage 1950’s Retro Commercial with a Hawaiian theme. Unlike anything you might see on television today, this oddity represents another style in marketing from another era in American history.

ALSO

Word on the street is that a brand new Polynesian Paradise is set to open in the Chicago area and it won’t be long before the Tiki World is lining up to taste the exotic pleasures of the Canoe Club. Here we will take a look at the Canoe Club now under construction in the suburbs of Chicago.

Tiki Taix starts at 10pm, located at 1911 Sunset Blvd. (at Park) Not too far up the road is Tiki Ti so why not stop in at Tiki Ti for a drink before the show and say hello to Mike and Mike? Tiki Ti is located just 2 miles west at 4427 Sunset Blvd.

Join us for this one night only night one time. We'll be at Tiki Taix 1911 Sunset Blvd. in Echo Park 90026 One block north of the lagoon.

Fluke. Flea.

[ Edited by: floratina on 2005-01-24 10:45 ]

I am so happy with the results of my Florida Tiki Safari that I want to share them, so here is the official addendum:

Sven Kirsten will show a selection of slides from last weeks Florida expedititon: From Orlando to Fort Lauderdale, to Jacksonville to Daytona Beach:
Come and see Mai Kai views, Witco livingrooms, Daytona Tiki, and more!

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki on 2005-01-26 09:34 ]

On 2005-01-26 09:33, bigbrotiki wrote:
I am so happy with the results of my Florida Tiki Safari that I want to share them, so here is the official addendum:

Sven Kirsten will show a selection of slides from last weeks Florida expedititon: From Orlando to Fort Lauderdale, to Jacksonville to Daytona Beach:
Come and see Mai Kai views, Witco livingrooms, Daytona Tiki, and more!

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki on 2005-01-26 09:34 ]

Vacation slides?!?!!? Pretty soon you will graduate to Super 8 movies and then go High Tech and you will get a Beta Video Camcorder!!!
Just pulling your leg-sorry I will miss them!--smiley

T

Hey,
glad to be here again and here to stay. Can't wait to see a whole bunch of Tikicentralites Friday night.

Tikifrog

On 2005-01-26 11:34, mrsmiley wrote:

Vacation slides?!?!!? Pretty soon you will graduate to Super 8 movies and then go High Tech and you will get a Beta Video Camcorder!!!
Just pulling your leg-sorry I will miss them!--smiley

You are correct, I am a die-hard FILM guy, in cinematography and in photography. Though it is getting harder to find slide film, (I noticed that in Florida!), AND to get it developed (had some psychedelic results lately, I will show some): Hollywood's premier lab, A&I, does not do Ektachrome anymore, so I had to bring one film to Studio City Camera -SINCE 1944- (my kind of store), they sent it to the East Coast.
The only technological advance I accept for my slide shows is a laser pointer.

Wow Sven, my jaw just hit the ground. I used to take my slide film to A&I all the time when I used to do event photography, but haven't been there for over 6 years. I also used to process Ektachrome myself at the lab I used to work at in the late 90s. Are they still making Kodachrome at least? I hope so since the archival quality of Kodachrome still beats anything. Just look at Charles Phoenix's God Bless Americana slideshow (or books) for proof. (But you already know that.)

Anyway, sorry to veer so off topic. Looking forward to seeing Sven's new slides tonight. (Especially since he really knows what he's doing behind a camera!)

[ Edited by: vintagegirl on 2005-01-28 13:38 ]

On 2005-01-28 12:25, bigbrotiki wrote:

The only technological advance I accept for my slide shows is a laser pointer.

Sven, I've never tried to "quote" anybody on Tiki Central before, I hope it works...in regards to this "Laser Gun" or whatever it is that you're bringing, you know I don't have insurance and the audience might be a little intimidated by a guy your size weilding a Laser...are you sure its safe? I don't want anybody chopped in half.

Just instruct them to deflect it with their silverware.

Pages: 1 8 replies