CA

TIKI TRAVEL SHOW!!!!!
Santa Monica - CA
Feb 27, 2005 @ 10 AM - 4 PM

Bamboo'Bamboo'Ben, 'Tiki News'Otto, Doug'Traveling'Nason
and my self will be profiled at this year's
the TravelStore - Vacation Fest Show

[ Edited by: crazy al on 2005-01-24 16:42 ]

There are usually tikis and Hawaiian music present, so this one promises to be an incredible tiki fest!

CA

order one of these and pick it up in Santa Monica!

http://www.tikimania.com/docs/carving_philip.html

I know I must be crazy but Santa Monica is a pretty big city. Is there an ADDRESS for this Travel Show??? I dont want to drive around aimlessly trying to find it!!! Any location info would be much appreciated.
Thanx,
Spermy

Nevermind - I figured out it is at the "SANTA MONICA CIVIC AUDITORIUM" see ya there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[ Edited by: The Sperm Whale on 2005-02-11 08:43 ]

T

http://www.travelstoreusa.com/pages/337/VacationFest_2005.html

TravelStore is pleased to present our 6th Annual VacationFest, the best in travel sale:
February 27th, 2005
Hours: 10:00AM - 4:00PM
Santa Monica Civic Auditorium
(for directions see below)

FREE Admission
FREE Trip Giveaways
EXCLUSIVE Discounts
The world's best cruises ON SALE(see below)
Every tour ON SALE (see below)
SAVE from $25 - $300 or more!
Special Guests:
OnStage Alaska presentation!
Doug Nason on tiki culture!
Travel photography workshop with award-winning photographer, Don Gale
Well over 100 of the world's best travel companies
DJ Otto with tropical music!
Special guests Crazy Al and Bamboo Ben!
Catering by Passionfruit!

LA's Biggest One-Day Travel Sales takes place Feb. 27th!
For more info call: (310) 575-5540

Directions to Santa Monica Civic, 1855 Main Street:
(located south of Third Street Promenade and Santa Monica Place Mall): From the 10 Freeway driving west, exit at Fourth Street.Make a left onto 4th St.,a right at Pico Blvd. (next street), and the next right at Main St. to the parking lot entrance.

I liked seeing, in the LA Weekly, "DJ Otto with tropical music! Special guests Crazy Al and Bamboo Ben!"

I did not like seeing that they eliminated the tiki motiff from the ad.

Hey Christiki! Hows it? Adrift clothing got involved as well, and I will sneak in my little Trader booth with new paintings, prints, and of course hand carved wood tiki necklaces. I can't wait to see the slide show by Doug Nason, and did I hear Tiki carving by ... the world famous Crazy Al Evans?

CA

TRUE!!
Tiki#85 in 30 minutes!!
With an AXE!!
alright... maybe a chisel too...
ok... maybe 50 min... what ever..
place a bid and walk with it if you win...

come out and save some shipping on my stuff and Ben Bars....grab a necklace from Tony! and get a TIKI NOW SHOW catalog signed by both of us!! Otto too!!
and others as well... Great tunes and drinks I hear.... see you there

Can't wait! Whetting my dreams of returning to Hawaii and tiki and TIkiTonY, too.

Bring it on!

Rebecca and I will be there but please don't talk too loud as we will both have a hangover from our fourth anniversary party at the Purple Orchid on Saturday.

As one of the artists from Otto's "Tiki Art Now" Book I will be dropping by to sign copies and hopefully to catch Doug Nason's talk in the afternoon - as in PM the only sane time for a Sunday...

R

Hey Everybody. The LA Travel Show was great. It was nice to see Bamboo Ben, Crazy Al, Otto, Doug Nasan, and Tiki Tony getting such a prominent location at the show. Everyone knows they were the main draw. Doug's slide show was very interesting. That upcoming Tiki Tour sounds intriguing.

Crazy Al's tiki he was working on was looking quite excellent. I was wondering how much the lucky bidder ended up getting it for?

[ Edited by: Riptide on 2005-02-28 21:13 ]

I was glad I could make it up there, if very tired from moving my Daughter's stuff into a storage space on Saturday. I watched C'Al carve, listened to Otto spinning exotica, looked for a Tiki shirt for my Gran'Daughter from Adrift (no size 2 :sigh:), watched Doug Nason's presentation, bought an Ape CD, thought about buying a copy of "Tiki Art Now," and saw a number of Tiki Central member who I hadn't seen in person before. My only disapointment was that Ben didn't wear this suit:

Ben, I'm starting reading "How Daddy Became a Beachcomber" tonight. After I'm done should I try to make a 2nd photocopy to be sent around?

T

Yeah, attended TikiFest. It was pretty cool. I bought a signed copy of 'Tiki Art Now' from Otto and one of Crazy Al's tiki #13 mugs, signed! I wish Ape could've played, but there didn't seem to be much room to do much. I said 'hi' to Tiki Tony and he remembered me from Tiki Beach :) Great carvings there, Tiki Tony. I had a nice time there and got to walk the Promenade.

CA

hey Freddie! try http://www.tikibaby.com my friend will have what you need!

thanks for all the great support once more!! tiki folks rule!

30 minute Tiki#85 never came to be
to close a carving space to Otto's turntables and vintage vinyl :(

see you all at Oasis!!!!!!

[ Edited by: crazy al on 2005-02-28 18:15 ]

PCH was open so we made the drive and it was definately worth it. Lotsa TCers there. Too bad Tikitony sold the painting I wanted while we were looking at the travel stuff. Doug Nason's slide show was great, but his tinted photos he had on display should be in a book! Does Crazy Al ever carve a bad Tiki? A good way to spend a Sunday.

I am the proud owner of the Bamboo Ben Hawaiian tiki bar posted by the entrance - I love it!

(Takes the sting off missing Doug Nasson's tiki slide show because I wanted to watch the Laker game [particularly when they lost]).

M

Hey All!

LAWebchick & I had a simply marvelous time! We got some great swag from TikiTony,(sorry Bongo), and thoroughly enjoyed ALL the exibitions. Chris, you really scored on that bar, K. & I kept coming around to check out the finish; BBen, was that shellac or laquer? Cold or regular? It was truly bitchin'.
Our only regrets were not being able to stay for the slide show, tho' we did talk to Doug about the prints; and not being able to get the attention of that vixen Cherry Capri. Oh! To be caught like a deer in those headlights! just joshin', sweetie, you know where my heart lives.
All in all, a swell time. I thank the folks that put this together, and hope to support more events in the near future. Timmy

Thanks for a great time and all my wonderful new items from Otto, Tikitoni, Adrift clothing, and Crazy Al (and for taking the time to talk to me and my husband about carving). Loved the prints from Doug Nason. Congrats to Christiki on the Bamboo Ben bar! Wish I could have bought more (but that's how it always is!)

T

A BIG MAHALO!! To everyone who came out and supported the local tiki craftsmen. It was great seeing and talking to everyone... Sorry if I rambled, but I feel so lucky to be doing what I'm doing. Adrift gives a grand Mahalo too! Marcus is in Thailand shooting some adrift catalog stuff for our upcoming catalog, and rebuilding from the Tsumami.

*On 2005-03-01 02:32, MonkeyBoy wrote:*Our only regrets were not being able to stay for the slide show, tho' we did talk to Doug about the prints; and not being able to get the attention of that vixen Cherry Capri. Oh! To be caught like a deer in those headlights! just joshin', sweetie, you know where my heart lives.

Awe M-Boy... I saw you out of the corner of mine eyen when I gave L.A. Webchick a hug... And went looking for you tots after the Doug Nason showing - sorry I missed you.

H

A surprisingly good time, and it was fun to see so many folks I hadn't seen in a while. Anyone else seriously considering Doug Nason's tiki tour?

Here are my pics:

http://photo.humuhumu.com/v/tikitravelthing/

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

[ Edited by: Humuhumu 2005-09-23 15:12 ]

I'm pretty sure I'm going on the cruise! A chance of a life time, I thought if would be a long time before I got to visit the places I obsess over.

Pages: 1 22 replies