Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Aussie TCers - Do you know this place?

Pages: 1 11 replies

Saw this while I was driving through Surfers Paradise but didn't have time to properly check it out.

Does anyone else have info on it? Is it at all tiki? Should it be added to the Locating Tiki thread?

H
hewey posted on Tue, Jan 25, 2005 9:08 PM

No idea about it

(But then I have no idea about anything)

Might do some research on it.

How was your trip?

A fifteen story building, with the word "TIKI" written down the middle of it, and it has not been registered here?!!
Cheekytiki, I hope that's not Photoshop. :)

I had a quick seach, this seems to be the website but it doesn't say much.
http://www.classicholidayclub.com.au/tv_intro.htm

Happy Australia Day Hewey! Now get out & find that Tiki Village International!

Yeah, happy Austrailia day to all the Aussie tc'ers.

H

Shes a bit far to travel to when you cant get any time off work...

Having said that, i am at least in the same country! I'm going to shoot off an email and ask them about tiki stuff (I'm expecting an electronic version of a blank gaze).

Keep you posted.

TM

I live in Sydney, but as a child, my family would drive north to Queensland's Gold Coast every May School Holidays. It was my favourite time of the year. I can remember visiting this place with a cool beergarden & BBQ area overlooking a swimming pool & surrounded by tropical gardens - & Tikis! - I think we only visited a couple of times - It was called Tiki Village. It must have been about 1966 or '67. I reckon that was my first Tiki encounter. From what I understand now, It has become Tiki Village International which is a kind of timeshare accommodation place. One of my nieces stayed there for 'Schoolies' ( a migration that High School students from mostly Sydney & Melbourne undertake when they've left school to get drunk & other things en masse - think 'Spring Break' - October / November ) & she didn't think that much of it. I do know that the jetty beside the hotel is called 'Tiki Wharf'. I haven't been to the Gold Coast for twenty years but I'd like to go back this year & do some urban archaeology. The Gold Coast as we know it was born during the Fifties & Sixties, so hopefully some architecture remains.

Couldn't find much myself. But here's some pics on the bottom right of this site.

http://www.intervalworld.com/iw/cs?a=1503&resortCode=TKI&parentResortCode=TKI

KT

My parents had their honeymoon at the Tiki Village back in 1970 but they've never mentioned any actual Tikis, so maybe by then the Tiki craze was over in Oz... but then again, I wouldn't trust my parents to remember anything from last year let alone 35 years ago. I'll probe them again next time I see them and maybe look for some honeymoon photos.

As far as I know, as was mentioned previously, the only Tiki remaining there nowadays is the name.

There is also a Tiki Village Caravan park at Coffs Harbour which I doubt has anything remotely Tiki anymore but maybe once did.

[ Edited by: Kane Tiki 2012-01-25 02:55 ]

H
hmc posted on Sat, Jan 14, 2006 3:07 PM

Just been to Queensland, Surfers Paradise for the Christmas break. We went to this Tiki Village Hotel to check it out but it was closed (we went at about 9pm-ish). Looking through the entrance glass showed nothing that resembled Tiki or even Polynesia. The hotel has a Tiki-ish logo but as it's a very stylised Tiki head it actually looks more like a Transformer face (80's cartoon). I've also done a web search hoping to find a website with lots of interior pics... but to no avail :o(

The ONLY Tiki feature this place has (I'm assuming it's part of this place) is the massive Tiki statue around to the side of the building. No pics sorry, one of the very few times I didn't have a camera on me :o(

whats up down under? you folks need to communicate. get together drink, explore, and report. g'day.

Pages: 1 11 replies