Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

eBay: A Tiki (style) Bar for sale

Pages: 1 16 replies

S
SLOR posted on Tue, Jan 25, 2005 9:26 AM

Hello All, I am selling an item on Ebay that I thought members here may be interested in. I hate to part with it, but I must due to mounting debt. And this may sound cheesy, but I would prefer it would go to someone that would really appreciate it. The item number is:3778253109
Or click this link (I hope I did this correctly)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3778253109&ssPageName=STRK:MESC:IT}

[ Edited by: SLOR on 2005-01-25 09:31 ]

I looked at the bar, It's nice, but not "starting at $1000.00" nice. That grand could go quite a ways on a custom made one by our resident bar craftsman here on the TC.

S
SLOR posted on Tue, Jan 25, 2005 9:56 AM

I appreciate your response, however I respectfully disagree. This is an original piece from the 1960s and comes complete with five stools (one for the barkeep, four for the barkept :wink: ). It is a unique design and really, the pictures do not do it justice as far as how it looks in real life. A lot of the Tiki Bars that I have seen, though quite beautiful, are rectangular boxes, though I admit, I have not seen all possible designs.

[ Edited by: SLOR on 2005-01-25 09:58 ]

[ Edited by: SLOR on 2005-01-25 10:19 ]

Slor, the bar is till not worth a staring bid of $1000. That's a joke. and it is not bamboo, but rattan. If you are saying the pics don't do it justice, then why use pics. You come on here and just spam us. You tell us nothing about you or what your interests are. The people on TC are an educated group of collectors, so sorry, but your bar doesn't make the cut here. And it is not tiki. jsut some Del Boca Vista , Golden Girl bar.

Slor, sorry bud, but I (we) would prefer if you became a part of the community here first, before trying to make a buck off of us. Stick around, get to know us, then a little spam is cool. Good luck on he auction.

S
SLOR posted on Tue, Jan 25, 2005 11:18 AM

I did not come here to offend or spam you or anyone else. I thought people might be interested in it. It may be a high starting price, but in my opinion it is such a unique piece, it may very well be worth more than that to the right person. I said I appreciated your comment and that I respectfully disagreed. A representative from Main Street Antiques said it could fetch quite a sum in the right market.
No reason to attack me or the piece, though constructive criticism is always welcome. I have never sold anything on Ebay, so maybe I started too high. But could you share that with me, minus the insults?

S
SLOR posted on Tue, Jan 25, 2005 11:34 AM

Hey, thanks for pointing out that it is rattan, and I have updated the item description, with a little plug.

I disagree with thechikitiki.
I think you were uneccesarily hard on our new friend Slor.
In my opinion that is a very interesting, nice quality vintage bar. In the right market it would be worth about $600-$800.

Maybe it isn't some cookie cutter ideal of what some people think is "tiki". Big whoop, I think there is room for more than one style or look.
There is no set rule as to how your tiki bar should look.
Why be a sheep & follow everyone else?

I say good luck with your auction Slor!
BTW, I like spam, it tastes good with eggs.

That's a pretty groovy bar! The stools would be tasty re-done in some floral or tapa barkcloth.

I do agree that a grand is too high for an opening bid. Doo a little research and see what some other bars have sold for in the past.

Welcome aboard Tiki Central and good luck with your sale.
Aloha,
:tiki:

I think that bar has something a lot of better looking bars (arguably) do not have.
Those bar stools look really comfortable and the fact that they slide under the bar (table style) seems to be rare. I think that bar would be best suited to real drinkers, not just someone interested in decor.And I think Slor is to be commended for keeping cool under hostile fire :wink:

S
SLOR posted on Wed, Jan 26, 2005 4:45 AM

Thanks for the support. As indicated on Ebay, I am in Cincinnati, and I am trying to sell what I thought was a Tiki bar. I have since learned that it is not one, so I have made the changes in the ad. I am new to Tiki, but I have become fascinated by it (thank Otto's work for that), so you have a new member in your community,. There is not a Tiki base that I am aware of in Cincy, but I would like to change that. 2004 was a bad year for my new vintage clothes business (thanks to a dishonest business partner), so I felt a need to sell the bar, despite wanting to keep it. I have also thought about refurbishing it, as suggested by Tiki Royale, but I was told that this may decrease the value. I would also like find out who does wholesale of their Tiki wares, and maybe move the store into that direction, once I am on a more secure financial footing. Oh, and the stools do feel good, particularly when in the company of good friends and good drink!

[ Edited by: SLOR on 2005-01-26 04:47 ]

[ Edited by: SLOR on 2005-01-26 04:49 ]

[ Edited by: SLOR on 2005-01-26 04:52 ]

[ Edited by: SLOR on 2005-01-26 04:53 ]

HT

Wait, those are the stools? Okay, so, I agree that $100 seems a bit much, that seems more suited to the antique market than a buyer's market. In the antique market, prices can be inflated indefinately, so long as a buyer can be found. YOu can sell anything for anything, and somewhere, out there, there's a couple walking through an antique shop just waiting to blow their money. However, ebay is a buyer's market, to be fair. "Fair price" is not always reached on ebay, and other times, prices are blown sky high... That being said, I really like the bar. The condition is a bit lacking for the price, and judging from the scenery, it has obviously been a real drinker's bar, and probably served it's duty quite well. The stools pushing under the counter, and forming a totally different bar front? Brilliant! Good luck!

HI! Nice piece.Several years ago I purchased a piece which was very close in style and design.Turned it around in a few days for a whopping sum of $550.00.Considering the fact I paid $150.00 at a local flee market.If your item does not sell this time around you might try using more key words in your description.This will draw potential lookers from several different areas rather then just Bar and stools.Use vintage rather then 60s (For example; Vintage Tropical Rattan Bamboo Bar and stools for home,hut,patio,pool,jacuzzi) For a few pennies you can also use additional description in the second line as well.As for the $1000 bucks starting price.Just a bit high for the average ebayer.Most are looking for dirt cheap copies,or real cheap orginals .TC is a great place to get a good ideA what exactly you have and what it is worth.They know what they are talking about.Good Luck.

"Many Shubs & Zuuls knew what it was to roast in the belly of the Slor that day I can tell you."

S

Seems it's surroundings would make the difference. Some tapa cloth walls, masks, fishing float lights, etc. along with tiki-esque upholstery. It would be tiki enough for me.

M

On 2005-01-27 15:28, freddiefreelance wrote:
"Many Shubs & Zuuls knew what it was to roast in the belly of the Slor that day I can tell you."

(spits milk on screen) well done.

S
SLOR posted on Fri, Jan 28, 2005 6:12 AM

Thanks again all, I took your advice sonofabeach, good call methinks! BTW, anyone wholesale their stuff here? I want to possibly sell Tiki stuff in Cincy, down the road.

Pages: 1 16 replies