Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

a few finds from Daytona Beach

Pages: 1 7 replies

I

While in Daytona Beach for the Hawaiian Inn event, I found the following items in a pretty cool antique store ...

1. Pardon the blurriness - there is a neat miniature hula scene inside of this piece, which is lit by a votive candle holder suspended from the top inside the cylinder.
    Green-flocked wallpaper, a glittery gold interior - I don't know if I am in a tiki bar or Liberace's living room. If you squint your eyes a bit, it even looks like a big green tiki with an pen mouth.

1. A nice, well carved, miniature tiki set, about 15 inches tall.

2. A wicker monkey!

Vern

H

Here are some pictures that perhaps better present the glory of that candle votive. I am so going to start making these. Now you all know what you're getting next xmas.

D

Well,that candle holder sure made me smile! You're right,it looks like an open-mouthed tiki-what would really put it over the top would be some googly eyes-too much!

Vern - That wicker monkey is fantastic. I'm hoping one day to find one of those myself. I have several vintage postcards that show that those were actually used as decor in several old tiki bars.

Sabu

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy on 2005-01-26 13:29 ]

P

On 2005-01-26 06:32, docwoods wrote:
Well,that candle holder sure made me smile! You're right,it looks like an open-mouthed tiki-what would really put it over the top would be some googly eyes-too much!

Geeze Doc, if you're gonna start talkin' googly eyes, maybe you oughta head over to Owl Central... :P

Oh I love that glittery green candle holder thingy!!

It reminds me of both my grandmothers. One loved Hawaii & Tahiti, and had all sorts of kitchy stuff, I know this is something she would have loved. My other Grandma decorated cakes with all sorts of little figures, and I used to have a ball playing with them.

I've been toying with the idea of making a snow dome, that thing really reminds me of one. It's the tiny tropical scene that appeals to me so much...like a window into paradise. Just like a tiki bar!

Thanks for posting the pictures!

Vern --- Please post a picture of the head hunter with the Farrah Fawcitt heads you told Marian and I about --- I have my own visual, but I am dying to see the real thing!

Pages: 1 7 replies