Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tiki Mug Repair

Pages: 1 16 replies

Hi everyone. I'm new to this group and I hope someone can help me out. I searched the site to find an answer to my question, but I couldn't, so here goes.
I recently bought a Trader Dick's Tiki mug at a local antique store, thinking it was so inexpensive because it was chipped. Well, the chip turns into a crack, which I didn't notice until i got it home, so this mug cannot hold any liquid in it. I don't know if crazy glue will work, b/c whatever you're gluing together needs to be in pieces so you can get one piece wet and put glue on the other. I cannot fit the crazy glue applicator between crack. However, I think I might have gotten crazy glue to work, but any suggestions in case it doesn't?
Now, problem #2: the paint has almost completely rubbed off of this mug. Again, this something I somehow missed at the antique store, don't ask me how! I have seen pictures of other Trader Dick's mugs on the internet, and this seems to be a common problem with these mugs. It looks like it just needs the standard reddish-brownish-orange "Tiki Mug Paint" and, I assume, some ceramic glaze or something.
To make matters worse, it was only AFTER I bought the mug that I found out that Trader Dick's is not only still open in Reno, but they STILL sell mugs! Of course, I am not sure if they still sell this exact mug. Anyway, is this a lost cause? Should I just give up put the mug on my shelf and never drink out of it? Or has anyone attempted anything like this? Any help any of you nice folks could offer would be greatly appreciated.
Trader Rick
former host of "Rock-Don't Run!" & "The Cocktail Hour"
KCSB 91.9 FM Santa Barbara

T

I would put it on the shelf and not drink out of it. I have a few mugs that have hairlines, yet display nicely, so don't fret. I've tried to use crazy glue to fix one of them, with limited success. I think this is a great way to start your tiki mug collection!

~ tikigreg

I'm assuming the mug you've got is a Moai type (Easter Island head). If it's a uniform brown/orange glaze, then it's an older one. It should have writing on the bottom. Newer ones have the addition of light brown stripes, and the writing on the back. I assume you can still get the newer ones for the price of a drink.
(Correct me if I'm wrong, folks!)

I'd personally avoid trying to repair it, though that's partially as I'm cack-handed and the result would be worse than it's pre-repair state. If you want a mug to drink from, maybe go for something new like a Tiki Farm or Munktiki mug where the glaze is safe, there are no cracks, and you know it's not previously been used as a plant-pot/pen-holder etc....

Trader Woody

Yeah, put that one on the shelf or on your desk as a pen holder.
Use the next one you find to drink out of.

Those mugs are cool, but pretty common.
You can usually find them on the cheap.

I prefer to look at mine and drink out of the plastic tumblers! I would hate to drop a vintage mug because I got stupid drunk.

Wow! Thanks for all of the advice, guys! I guess this one will be sitting on my shelf. Incidentally, it os not the Moai mug, it looks more Maori or Tahitian influenced. If you saw it, I'm sure you would say "Oh yeah, that one." I'm sure I will find another one someday, but I was just excited b/c it is the only VINTAGE mug in my collection. Thanks again!
TR

S
Swanky posted on Tue, Oct 8, 2002 3:05 PM

I have repaired some leaking items with the stuff they seal aquariums with. You can get it at Walmart. It is obviously safe or the fish would die. It is clear and you use such a very thin layer of it, it is almost invisible.

T

As Swanky noted, it could be possible to repair the mug so it holds liquid. But using the mug will no doubt only make the crack worse, causing the eventual demise of the piece. Shelving it would still be your safest bet, I think.

S
Sabina posted on Tue, Oct 8, 2002 3:34 PM

Or, you could 'use' it, but not for liquids- chiped or cracked mugs are always great for storing swizzle sticks and other bar essentials. Tall mugs can be used to hold wooden Satay skewers and the like for pupu platters.

Smaller mugs (like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=720691277) are better suited for keeping drink umbrellas or picks in. That way, it's still 'in use' and right there on the side of the bar.

T

Before I shelf a cracked mug, I run a bead of white elmers glue down the inside of the crack.... offers a little stability for any handling, and can be soaked off if needed in the future.

And be really careful moving a cracked mug that you may have anchored with quake paste! I've shattered a mug in my hands trying to free it from a shelf. User Polynesianpop recommended sliding dental floss under 'em to free 'em up.

:tiki:

Traderpup, that's some good advice. I've actually even hairline-cracked a quake pasted mug when trying to remove it from the shelf. Use the dental floss or fishing line to "cut" the mug away from the quake paste by pulling it across the bottom of the mug from one side to the other. Once the mug is free the quake paste should peel right off the bottom of the mug.

Even tho I live in earthquake country & I know I should, I havent used that putty stuff.
Is it messy?
I get bored looking at the same setup after a while. I like to move my mugs around & rearrange stuff every once in a while & that seems like it would be a hassle to clean up each time.

Earthquake putty has a texture almost like Play Dough and is very easy to work with but it is not messy. You can get a package enough for about 35 mugs at Home Depot for about $4.00 - cheap insurance for that $200.00 Suffering Bastard (they hold your mugs very well). If you like to move your mugs around however, it will be a pain in the ass if you've got putty on all your mugs.

Yes Trader Dick's is still open and it's hella tiki cool! I thinks its way cool that out in the middle of the desert that tiki is so prevalent, we also have a store here called Kona Girl the owner makes monthly trips to Hawaii and brings back all kinds of cool stuff. Again not bad for the middle of the desert. Anyway when ever your in this neck of the woods send an email and well hook up for some serious 24 hour drinken and check out many Reno tiki's.

I'd like some feedback on the feasibility/desireabilty of replacing a bit of missing paint on a vintage St. Louis Mainlanders mug (a common issue with these). Could I use a bit of high gloss enamel to replace the missing paint or should I just leave it as is?

Kreepy; Wendy drops some knowledge: Dawee Tiki I only use Liquitex Glossies. They are found on the Dick Blick web page. The red is identical to the red used on vintage tikis for tongues and skirts. Paint, wait 24 hours and bake at 325 for 45 minutes. Just like with the old mugs you must not wash in hot water or scrub.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=38423&forum=18&start=2865

Although this may not apply to vintage.....?

Shaka! - Tiki Beeki

[ Edited by: Holler Waller 2013-03-14 04:32 ]

Thanks Holler Waller for posting my remarks on the paint.

I've never found a way to fix a hairline. I have been told that to use super glue you have to break the pieces apart then glue them back together.

Chips are easy to fix. Here's a huge one I fixed on the bottom of a bank.

This is the best chip repair product. Sorry for the blurry photo. It's Elmer's wood filler. Just overfill the chip because it shrinks as it dries. Then sand and paint.

Here's the huge bank repair I used it for.

I added layers as I built it out over a number of days.

After it is dry I sand it smooth and then paint it with Liquitex Glossies that I mix to match.

Think how easy a small chip would be to fix. That's how I started doing tiki art. Dan kept bringing me vintage mugs to fix and then he asked me to make bowls to match mugs. He called them the shouldhavebeenbowls since there were none. Now I work full time on tiki art and am very happy.

Cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2013-03-15 07:47 ]

Pages: 1 16 replies