Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

canoe club takes one last big dump!!

Pages: 1 15 replies

The new canoe club opens in two weeks after some delay. I will zero in on a precise date and let you all know. I mentioned canoe club in an earlier thread.... anyone in the area want to crash the opening with me??

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2007-10-12 08:24 ]

I might be in for that. Just need to know when.

I'm trying to get my sister-in-law & some cousins to go, I'll know better if they will when you post the actual opening date.

okay- here's the scoop on the canoe club....this sat. is a v.i.p.private party/ribbon cutting. The canoe club will be open to the public next week. those of you in the area check fridays chicago tribune for a blurb on the place. I will get back to you all after sat. with an exact opening date for the public. i am also writing a review of the canoe club as well as a piece about the rise and fall of the rock-a-tiki lounge here in chicago for a national magazine which won't be out til' spring - will keep you posted. stay tuned...

I'll bet they need some tikis...
Put a bug in their ear again for me, Dave...

I have a bunch of logs that need carving

See you at Vic's Wednesday

What's the address of the Canoe Club? And is it now open?

tj

aloha!! last night was the v.i.p. party for the canoe club which opens to the public next week on the 21st. The place looks great! I was drunk like a pirate! someone fell down and some guy jumped up on the bar and danced to the song "tequila" like pee-wee herman. It's upscale, so you diehard fans may be disappointed by it's lack of traditional decor. The owners were not trying to be the next mai kai (though they could have done it if they chose to). The effect they acheived is an awesome example of what the face of 21st century tiki looks like and I think they did a great job. (Incidentally, lake surfer, if you are reading this, ed wants you to come down there with a truckload of your tikis. he said he wanted more to fill up the place before opening to the public I suggest you bring a good variety of sizes as there are several locations i can think of immediatly that need tikis. call him a.s.a.p. and hound him. if you need his # again p.m. me. I'll see you at trader vics weds.) .....billed in the chicago tribune as the "most ambitious and largest restaurant to hit the south suburbs" in years. With more than 12.000 square feet and a capacity of about 375. The center bar has a 3.000 gallon shark tank with 5 reef sharks swimmin' round. they have regular shark feedings that you can watch. outside, there are a number of giant tiki torches fed by gas and man. they looked great when i was pullin' up to the place. you can see them way down the road...reminded me of driven up on the kahiki..... the waterfall is 2-storys high and changes color due to led lights on a timer. There are a couple of tiki wine gods flanking the top of the wine racks on either side, carved by yours truly. large hand painted murals adorn the walls. The mai tais were tasty and the food was excellent!! they have these sweet/sour chicken wings that are to die for....The waitresses were real easy on the eyes too... They will be featuring live music and d.j.'s also, that article on the place was in thurs. tribune, not fridays as i was told.

oh, yeah, the address is 15200 s. 94th ave., orland park.

The Canoe Club has sunk.

New investors have bought the building - no word on whether they'll keep the concept.

Wasn't all that great anyway.

Wow, that's two tiki venues down in the same week.

wow..not suprising...i see if i can find out what becomes of the decor....therer were a few cool things there.

On 2007-10-11 12:56, tikibars wrote:

I heard it was is an awesome example of what the face of 21st century tiki looks like. Hmmmm.

On 2007-10-12 08:43, pappythesailor wrote:

On 2007-10-11 12:56, tikibars wrote:

I heard it was is an awesome example of what the face of 21st century tiki looks like. Hmmmm.

indeed it was....but only in a sense that it was more streamlined and clean like the newer trader vics that have been opening over seas, not alot of flotsam and jetsam decor. this was in no way a vintage tiki look but how modern mainstream america would have a tiki tropical restaurant and bar.....and at the time i wrote that earlier post, it was the most exciting tiki news to hit the midwest. .....it probably tanked for the same reasons most new places tank, tiki or otherwise...people get bored and move onto the next big thing...to have any real staying power you have to offer something more edgy....canoe club played it way too safe and with what they spent on the place it would have been a short walk to go really over the top with it and they chose not too....they had a decent run, probably made a gob of money and decided to move on...to the next big thing. now there is absolutely no reason for anyone here to set foot in orland park illinois.....

TT

On 2007-10-12 07:05, The Mayor Of Exotica wrote:
Wow, that's two tiki venues down in the same week.

Forgive me, but what was the other venue to go down? I don't feel like searching through posts to find the answer myself.

the bamboo room in schaumburg, ill.....

TT

On 2007-10-15 08:58, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
the bamboo room in schaumburg, ill.....

Thanks for the answer. From the look of the place, I doubt I could afford it.

Pages: 1 15 replies