Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

WHY NOT? bar in Hayward TIKI!?!?!!

Pages: 1 13 replies

M

Here is a post I found in Craigslist. How tiki is it these days?
http://www.craigslist.org/eby/com/57501146.html
"KAROAKE DJ THE WHY NOT LOUNGE BAR (hayward / castro valley)

Reply to: [email protected]
Date: 2005-01-28, 1:55PM PST

Hey come join us and see our new look. Original owner for 27 years, completey renovated and re-done. The WHY NOT LOUNGE is a island theme lounge with dance floor great sound systems ect. Huge tiki bar and patio covered in the back. COme check it out. Pool table, dominoes, dice, darts, karoake, DJ GREAT Bartenders!!! We get a great mixed crowd.
Mondays $1 bud drafts 5pm til 10:30pm
Tuesday's Pool League
Wednesdays Karoake to start this night in 2 weeks
Thursday's come and Join the hayward Rugby team (we sponsor) after there practice for in house karoake and food.
Friday's Karoake with James 9 til 2am
Saturday nights DJ dance all night $10 cover BUT tell KEKO at the door your a friend of Keys and get in free!
COme check us out!

57501146"

T

Sounds like tiki bar as in Florida style "tiki bar" (i.e. a bar next to a pool).

M

So tiki!

But where there's a karaoke machine, sadly, there's a mrsmiley.

On 2005-01-28 19:21, martiki wrote:

So tiki!

But where there's a karaoke machine, sadly, there's a mrsmiley.

SO ZAZZ!!! :)

On 2005-01-28 19:21, martiki wrote:

So tiki!

hey!!! Maybe they put umbrellas in those Bud Drafts, Mr "negativity Jump to Conclusions" Martiki!!!!! :)

SO they post an ad on Craigslist (is that allowed?) and don't put any address. Sounds like some smart folks running the place.

M

On 2005-01-28 19:05, thejab wrote:
Sounds like tiki bar as in Florida style "tiki bar" (i.e. a bar next to a pool).

Actually, I think you give to much slack to the definition of a Florida Tiki Bar. My defination fits most of the approximate 38 million "tiki" bars in Florida and that is, simply, "an outdoor bar". Including the one with a sleeping guy, a dog, and a gun!! :)

I think we drove by that place when we were test driving our car at Hayward Toyota. It had a lot of beer signs. But it did say TIKI BAR.

"You're the mayor of shark city, people think you want the beaches open."

[ Edited by: mrs. pineapple on 2005-02-02 13:06 ]

MT

As a former resident of Hayward, and alum of that wonderfully elite institute of higher learning known as Cal State Hayward, I can attest that the last time I saw/went to this place, it was a total pit!

I haven't been there recently, but I remember when they supposedly remodeled "The Plunge" in Hayward by calling it "The New Plunge". They even had a big countdown calendar outisde - "___ days left until the opening of The New Plunge!". Needless to say, it was more than a disappointment.

For some reason, karaoke is king in bars around Hayward and Castro Valley. There was actually a really good karaoke night at the old Round Table Pizza in Castro Village, with cheap pints and it seems like over 30 selections of microbrews. Needless to say, most of the college crew hung out there.

There is another bar further down on Mission Blvd. called "Big Red's Place". They always plastered cheap ass flyers all over our apartment complex, claiming that they had the best karaoke in town. That place is so scarily frightening, though, that we never stepped foot inside. Especially when we warily approached the front door, and saw the six foot five tall viking warrior biker bartender, wearing full biker leather and sporting a 3 foot ZZ-Top style red beard. "He must be BIG RED!!!" we all exclaimed in unison, as we got the hell outta there.

So, yeah, I'm willing to guess that the "Why Not" might not deliver on it's promise of tiki. But hey, you never know! Anyone willing to check it out? I'm game! If it sucks, there's always Buffalo Bill's or The Bistro in Hayward as a back up!

MT

I'm still willing to say "Why Not?" to check out the "Why Not?". Any Bay Area people, especially East Bay'ers, wanna check it out?

M

ALMOST checked it out last SAT, but plans changed

M

On 2005-02-11 13:21, mrsmiley wrote:
Here is a picture I took before the crowds showed up!

ok-a liitle EARLY April Fools joke--that is the Chin Tiki in Detriot!

H
Helz posted on Fri, Feb 11, 2005 5:54 PM

Mai Tai et.al.

I'd probably be up for checking it out. It isn't to far for us south bay folks.

I went here last night. Two words; DON'T BOTHER. A much more descriptive review can be found at http://scamboogah.blogspot.com/2005/02/like-baby-vomit-wrapped-in-chewing-gum.html . Here's a taste:

"let's start with the 'Tiki' aspect of it. The phrase, "Going apesh*t at the party store" came to mind. All Tiki statues were plastic or cardboard, and all grass and trees were of the paper or plastic variety. None of the previous Coors Light football penants had been removed, so the result was an odd mishmash of poorly planned Frat party and Worcester, Mass. sports bar. Total cost to the owner for this 'makeover', probably around a hundred bucks."

Bull*hit Jesus, those are obviously MY footprints!

[ Edited by: Scamboogah on 2005-02-21 09:35 ]

[ Edited by: Scamboogah on 2005-02-21 09:38 ]

Pages: 1 13 replies