Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Ultimate Tiki Tunes

Pages: 1 40 replies

This is too cool not to be posted. Available 2005?

http://www.worldsound.com/tiki/Ultimate_OneSheet2.800.jpg

What's on 'em?

K

I wonder the same thing. If they're anything like "Drew's Famous" collections, it will be a bunch of stuff not really tiki.."Under The Boardwalk","Margaritaville", etc. (Although I must give credit to Drew's Luau collection which has some funny rather Spongebob Squarepants-like fake steel guitar tunes on it) well, since it's from tiki farms, hopefully, it will be better.
Oddly, I just finished up converting my favorite vinyl exotica tracks (minus the overly re-released Martin Denny & Baxter) in steel, vocals, and orchestras onto 12 CDs...how is it possible that I couldn't fit them on less than 12 CDs?? Oh well.

Okay... the cat's outta the bag. Here's what's up and why I'm so stoked that TC is here and part of this...

This is a 6-disc set. It is the following...

Tiki Farm's Ultimate Tiki Tunes
Tiki Farm's Ultimate Vintage Exotica
Tiki Farm's Ultimate Modern Exotica
Blah's Ultimate Surf Tunes
Blah Blah's Ultimate Hawaiian Classics
Wilma and Fred's Ultimate Luau Tunes

We've got a lot into this and I think all tc'ers will be happy. Right now, we're up to about 100 artists and over 300 tracks in working out the final stuff.

"Tiki Tunes" is the set sampler. Now here's where we are with it. Ultimately "Tiki" tunes stem from vintage exotica but cross over into modern day acts like Ape (my personal fav) and Lushie, King, Gents, etc.. There is room for "Tiki" in the forms of vintage, modern, surf... all of the genres described. The parties I've thrown & attended have all genres, either spun or live. Let's face it, 3-4 hours of Martin Denny, Les Baxger & Arthur Lyman... I love it but somebody shoot me!! I can only handle so many chirping birds and lapping waves after so much time but it's still my fav.

So to my request. Please post to this thread what you want to hear in all of the above genres. Get crazy - send the weird stuff. We've got so many artists out there both big and small that can make this series the best. If it isn't dead-on good, then I ain't gonna let it happen. Here are some of whom I like the best in all of the genres (and there are tons more)...

Ape
Blue Hawaiians
Bruddah IZ
King
Gents
Ken Sasaki & the Tiki Boys
Mermen
Lyman
Sumac
Ka'Kau Crater Boys
Ernie Cruz
Boss Martians
Amy Gilliom
Tommy Tokioka
Makana
Dynotones
... and a lot more.

I'm really hoping that TC'ers can put in some good feedback and I want to give TC a major shout-out in the liner notes of the "Ultimate Tiki Tunes" sampler - the one that debuts the series. I need your help TC.

Mahaloz,
Holden

TINY BUBBLES FOR FUCKING SURE!!!!!!!!!!

Who eles does this song besides Don Ho???

Would like to hear Pink Floyd and Devo cover it. MC5?

any Mash Ups out there?

I'm lost.

Tiki Farm Rocks!

The Tiki Tones are my current favorite Tiki band.

-g-

p.s.
May 13, 1967. Santa Rosa Fairgrounds, CA. Below, a thin paper handbill for this show featuring Count 5, Iron Butterfly, and Bystanders.

Awesome line up Holden. This collection of tiki tunes could very well be the soundtrack for Tiki Oasis V.

On 2005-01-30 00:13, RevBambooBen wrote:
p.s.
May 13, 1967. Santa Rosa Fairgrounds, CA. Below, a thin paper handbill for this show featuring Count 5, Iron Butterfly, and Bystanders.

B Boo Ben, I'm familiar wid Count Five (Psychotic Reaction) & Iron Butterfly (In A Gadda Da Vida) but who are the Bystanders?

D

Where's Petty Booka?

K

Sweet!

The Tiki Tones Rock!

How about Combustible Edison?

Any chance you might consider doing a Tiki Holiday CD too?

Thanks Holden and Tiki Farm.

B

Looking forward to the CDs and the mugs - any word when the discs will be coming out?

I'm still not clear. Are the songs for the first six discs already chosen?

Cool.
Mermen? I didnt know Ethel did any tiki music, I only heard her do "God Bless America".
Aloha

[ Edited by: Tiki Rider on 2005-01-30 18:38 ]

By the way - recognize the cover art artist? It's Doug Horne - check him out at http://www.swampfirelounge.com . The songs haven't been chosen yet. We're working through a bunch of material and I'm hoping for more input from TC. Here are some other artists in the hopper...

Big Kahuna and the Copa Cat Packs
Project Pimento
The Aliis
Fisherman
Preston Epps

...there's more but those are all I can think of right now. If you guys want to buy an awesome Hawaiian musician's cd, go to http://www.royal-t-records.com and purchase Tommy Tokioka's "Happy to be Living" - it's well worth every cent spent and here's a fun kicker. When he recorded the tracks, he needed a distinct soprano male voice for the background on a few songs and a friend of his put him in contact with a guy who was vacationing on Kauai and he agreed to do the background tracks... it was Steve Perry!!

Mahaloz,
Holden

Journey??? Tiki??? Cool.

p.s. Hey Ship-

but who are the Bystanders?

Us?

Smogbreather, I did recognize the art work, Doug's "Tiki Girl" ebay print hangs proudly in my home tiki lounge. Is he providing diferent art work for every individual CD? Any new art, or is his past print work all that is being used?

And I suggest Sam Makia.

On 2005-01-30 23:57, Captain Morgan wrote:
Smogbreather, I did recognize the art work, Doug's "Tiki Girl" ebay print hangs proudly in my home tiki lounge. Is he providing diferent art work for every individual CD? Any new art, or is his past print work all that is being used?

And I suggest Sam Makia.

Asides from the background style burplap (from Grog List) and the Tiki god on the Ultimate Tiki Tunes cd cover, all of the art and Tiki is brand new. On the Vintage Exotica Tunes cover, he's illustrated our new footed Moai volcano bowl in an interior bar scene setting, too. The Ultimate Tiki Tunes Tiki God mug will have mood stones for eyes... "are you really, really enjoying that Mai-Tai... the Ultimate Tiki Tunes Mug will let your friends know"... okay not at all and mood stones are for one thing - changing colors - but at least the mugs eyes will change colors and we like that.
Mahaloz,
Holden

[ Edited by: smogbreather on 2005-01-31 00:16 ]

D

No Petty Booka? Where's the ukulele ladies?

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2005-01-31 01:55 ]

On 2005-01-29 22:14, RevBambooBen wrote:
TINY BUBBLES FOR FUCKING SURE!!!!!!!!!!

Who eles does this song besides Don Ho???

Al Caiola did on his late 60s album King Guitar.

Good guitar version, sounding like Vincent Bell was involved with the recording, too.

KK

B

Hey Holden,
I've always wanted to hear Slacktone do Caravan.
What'ya think?

P

...gotta have the Haole Kats - one of their old school Hapa Haole cuts would fit nicely in that collection.

Here are better, closer-up images of Doug's art vs. what you see on the WorldSound website.

Within each cd, there will be a coded card that will allow for you to buy the limited mug. You'll be able to then order them from us either by email, online (password code needed) or by telephone. We expect the first 2 discs in time for Oasis but the mugs won't be out until likely late June.

Mahaloz,
Holden

ps - the first mug (Tiki Tunes) has mood stone eyes... "Are you REALLY enjoying that Mai Tai?"

[ Edited by: smogbreather on 2005-02-25 18:18 ]

What about some modern re-enactments of traditional Oceania songs... specifically from Soloman Islands, New Guinea, Tahiti, Cook Islands....

HT

OUt of curiosity, about how much will the mugs be? I have to budget the mass amount of money I spend on tiki mugs every year.

On 2005-02-27 20:10, Hale Tiki wrote:
OUt of curiosity, about how much will the mugs be? I have to budget the mass amount of money I spend on tiki mugs every year.

The mugs are tentatively priced as follows...
Traditional Sized Single color glaze: $12.95
Embellished Mugs (2-3 glazes or "mood stone eyes"): $14.95
Large (GIANT) Handled Mug (photo available soon; this one's about 10" & 40 oz): $16.95

The tracks are whittled down to about 20 and those last 20 are being whittled down to the final line-up. There's been some great input from a lot of people with a big Mahalo to Ron (Bongofury).

Mahaloz,
Holden

...as always, trying to do them at affordable prices althought it ain't always easy (i.e. they aren't mass molded Starbucks cofee mugs... for example)

[ Edited by: smogbreather on 2005-02-28 21:20 ]

Any word on these CDs. I've been scowering the site for more info, but other than the June 2005 release date, I've found nothing. Did they ever come out?

-g-

K

Did they ever come out?

Nope..not yet. I preordered mine back in May and haven't gotten it yet. I'm sure there's a good explanation for the delay. Perhaps Smogbreather could enlighten us??

If you're not aware of The Hoodoo Guru's song "Leilani" then you are missing a classic tiki song.

--SBiM

C

Just FYI, but I corresponded with Tiki Farm recently and it appears that WorldSound is responsible for the hold up. I think they're still working on clearing songs, but I wonder why they don't release what cd's they can, while clearing the others?

Thanks for the info...

I've been wanting to get my grubby hands on these since they first started talking aobut them!

personally i'm a fan of the occassional steel drum mixed with the tribal beats snaps fingers

H

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2006-03-01 09:01 ]

H

On 2006-02-28 15:53, PockyTiki wrote:
personally I'm a fan of the occasional steel drum mixed with the tribal beats snaps fingers

Me too. Have you picked up Sand & Steel? Its a Trojan double disc packed with forty six tracks by early Jamaican steel drum bands. Interpretations include Yellow Bird.

You might also be interested in this thread aboout Non-Tiki Tiki Music...
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=9077&forum=11&55

"I'm Chief Kamanawannaleiya (and we're the Royal Macadamia Nuts)" - the Turtles (circa 1969)

"You say we're diving for pearls, we know we're diving for girls" - 1/3 of the Turtles as Flo & Eddie 10 years later

I know...I know...it's this kind of blasphemy that got Capt. Cook kicked off the island.

L

I know...I know...it's this kind of blasphemy that got Capt. Cook kicked off the island.

"kicked off the island." ?!
haole dissed the King, killed a Hawaiian then was clubbed and stabbed, and later, his bones stripped of the flesh which was eaten.

"Captain Cook. the other white meat."

On 2006-03-05 12:24, lanikai wrote:

"kicked off the island." ?!
haole dissed the King, killed a Hawaiian then was clubbed and stabbed, and later, his bones stripped of the flesh which was eaten.

I knew all that. I just didn't want to go into all the gory details. After all, it IS the "family hour".

TF

We can always use some fun new compilations. I suggest the more obscure the better, for example it would be benificial to include Robert Drasnin in your exotica stuff simply because this is standout stuff! Less caw caw caww and more otherworldly female background vocals. Drasnin does not have nearly as much material as Denny and Lyman but it is so much more musical and thereby more pleasant to listen to. ( sounds incredible with wind chimes too! ).

As for surf stuff, nobody does it better these days than Los Straitjackets. Lots of great material to choose from. Now that I am going on this thread I will have to compile a list. Please Stand by. ..

Mahalo Nui Loa.

T.F

Any update on these compilations?

Chris

RG

ROFLMAO. As a missionary I should disdain that which makes light of my constant imminent danger of being consumed by the local natives but, hell, that was funny.

Pages: 1 40 replies