Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Signature question

Pages: 1 20 replies

Of course I know how to post pics in threads, but how do I post a pic in my signature? I've tried, but I get the same large-sized pics that you use in threads.

Do you use a different service to display custom-sized pics? And what about animation in the signature?

Thanks for the help.

8T

Good question Finkdaddy, I think more people should have a pic. in their signature space at the end of their posts. It gives them an extra dab of personality.

Anyway, here's how you can do that.

sign in to Tiki Central
shrink it down and leave it open at the bottom of the screen
Go to shutterfly
sign in and choose the picture you want.
right click on it (don't left click because that will enlarge it!)
click on properties
highlight the ENTIRE address url info (should contain http: shutterfly.com and a bunch of numbers)
right click
select copy
shrink down shutterfly
bring up TC again
Select edit profile
there you will paste the url copy into the signature box. REMEMBER to put img in brackets before the url copy and [/img] after it. You can also add text if you want.
save the changes
Then go to edit preferences and click yes where it says :Always attach my signature
save the changes.
THAT SHOULD DO IT.
HAVE FUN EVERYONE!

P.S. I don't know about the use of animation so someone else will have to add that for you. Good Luck

When we first met.......

[ Edited by: 8FT Tiki on 2005-01-29 15:17 ]

[ Edited by: 8FT Tiki on 2005-01-29 15:19 ]

Thanks for the help. I guess I do the same for regular pics, I just didn't think to keep the image small when I copied the url address.

Thanks.

T

its just too bad that there are those little white boxes on the sides. Sort of a waste of space.

On 2005-01-31 09:08, teaKEY wrote:
its just too bad that there are those little white boxes on the sides. Sort of a waste of space.

Thats why I was asking about custom size pics. I see others who have wierd shapes or animaiton in their signatures so I was wondering what they were using to create those.

Let me please address the qustion of good taste here.
Another message board I read is absolutely infested with people who's signiture pix are huge, and it is super-annyoing to read through a thread and have to look at the same giant sig pix over and over as you scroll down. It takes longer for the page to display when all those extra pix have to load, and it makes it harder for people's eyes to zero in on the messag, rather than being drawn to all of these images that don't have to do with the post, and take up literally 80% of the screen space.

My two clams:
Keep 'em small, people.

That is a very good point. Message boards are hard enough to read without adding even more clutter.

On 2005-01-31 10:26, tikibars wrote:

My two clams:
Keep 'em small, people.

my personal taste is the 1-inch square "postage stamp," but i like several of the banner-type sigs on TC. i think as tikibars says it comes down to good taste, instead of a "rule."

H
hewey posted on Tue, Feb 1, 2005 9:25 PM

I agree - keep the signatures small.

My crappy connection has a anuerism with big files - lots of pics for signatures take too long to load.

F

On 2005-01-31 10:37, Johnny Dollar wrote:

On 2005-01-31 10:26, tikibars wrote:

My two clams:
Keep 'em small, people.

my personal taste is the 1-inch square "postage stamp," but i like several of the banner-type sigs on TC. i think as tikibars says it comes down to good taste, instead of a "rule."

Your's is an excellent example, JD. What do you use that gives you a square picture without the extra white space?

T

Hey Hanform / Mig / Humu / et al....

Is there any reaon why TC doesn't use avatars on the left of the message area, below the user's screen name/location/post count?

Yes. Hanford never programmed it.

On 2005-02-02 05:15, finkdaddy wrote:

Your's is an excellent example, JD. What do you use that gives you a square picture without the extra white space?

mahalo ~ i figured it out that if you go to shutterfly, upload a square image, and then goto the "view" screen of that square image, then hit the green "crop" button up to the top right where the buttons say "fix,""crop," "effects," and "borders," then you get a small 1-inch square version of the square image to the left of the bigger "resize" image. you just right-click that (for PC), and copy the address/URL for that specific 1-inch square version. then you use BB Code to use that URL as your lil' avatar.

and now, for gits and shiggles....

T

Yeah, I hate it when people use large, animated sigs!

T

Hey, where'd my sig go?

H

On 2005-02-02 14:47, Tiki-bot wrote:
Hey, where'd my sig go?

Hanford wrote some snazzy code that detects if your post is super-short, and in those cases it doesn't print your signature. That may give you a little hint of how Hanford feels about how signatures affect readability. :wink: But I also know that Hanford would say that Tiki Central belongs to everyone, and if y'all want images in your signatures, then y'all get to have images in your signatures. (As long as they're not crazy-big.)

F

On 2005-02-02 13:47, Johnny Dollar wrote:

On 2005-02-02 05:15, finkdaddy wrote:

mahalo ~ i figured it out that if you go to shutterfly, upload a square image, and then goto the "view" screen of that square image, then hit the green "crop" button up to the top right where the buttons say "fix,""crop," "effects," and "borders," then you get a small 1-inch square version of the square image to the left of the bigger "resize" image. you just right-click that (for PC), and copy the address/URL for that specific 1-inch square version. then you use BB Code to use that URL as your lil' avatar.

Thank you J$, I finally figured it out. I've learned so much in the last few months, it's unreal. 8)

zazz!

J

Aloha all! This is a test to see if I have added an icon to my signature properly. Thanks to all those who previously posted "how to" information and other comments. (Is this 80 characters yet?)

Aloha! I just wanted to test out my signature as well. Now what goes into a mai tai? Rum, more rum, orange curacao, Orgeat, simple syrup, Lime Juice, lots of ice then shake! Thank you all for the help!

Limited Edition, Fine Art Prints available now at
http://ArtofCanepa.com

[ Edited by: MaiTaiMonkey 2015-12-03 22:56 ]

Pages: 1 20 replies