Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Chin Tiki mug...

Pages: 1 36 replies

Looking to obtain a Chin tiki mug. Can anybody help?

T

I was just wondering where this Chin that you talk about is located. I live in Michigan and I know that we were famous for a Chin but no I have no Chin. That sounded weird.
oh, and welcome aboard

SEE YA SOON

[ Edited by: teaKEY on 2005-01-30 19:26 ]

the line forms to the left.

-Z

oh yeah, Aloha & Welcome to TC.

On 2005-01-30 19:24, teaKEY wrote:
I live in Michigan and I know that we were famous for a Chin but no I have no Chin.

You must have a hard time putting pillowcases on then.

Do you mean the Chin Tiki which was on Cass Ave. in Detroit? I'd love to have a mug from there too, in fact, I'd love to see a picture of one. I do have a Chin Tiki ashtray from there with the logo on it. It's the one item that got me into tiki art - my father picked it up at a yard sale in a Detroit suburb. I even have some pretty good photos of the building from a couple of years ago. The outside wall still has the old flaking logo on it. If you get a mug, please post a pic of it. By the way - welcome!

http://www.samgambino.com

H
Helz posted on Sun, Jan 30, 2005 8:46 PM

Is this the Chin Tiki that was in the movie '8 Mile'?

HT

So no picture exists in Tiki Quest or from someone's personal collection? Someone get ahold of Kalohacharms!

DZ

On 2005-01-30 21:06, Hale Tiki wrote:
So no picture exists in Tiki Quest or from someone's personal collection? Someone get ahold of Kalohacharms!

There's one on page 38 of Tiki Quest, upper left. The text on mine is black and stands out much better than the one in the picture. Picked it up for a dollar at a swap meet last summer. :wink:

I've got another post about not having tiki quest because it was swiped by a friend. Can anyone post a pic, i'm super curious. I don't have Tiki Quest memorized yet. I know, I know, I'm behind.

TD

Good luck. I have been actively looking for this mug for the past five years to no avail. I haven't yet resorted to selling my body but i'm getting close.

Helz, this is indeed the Chin Tiki from 8 Mile. One of the reasons they used this location was because everything inside is still intact. I had the privelage of getting a tour from the owner about six months ago and the place was still amazing. All of the decor was still there and in great shape. There are constant rumors floating around about reopening, but nothing has happened yet. I remain hopeful though.

On 2005-01-30 20:12, purple jade wrote:

On 2005-01-30 19:24, teaKEY wrote:
I live in Michigan and I know that we were famous for a Chin but no I have no Chin.

You must have a hard time putting pillowcases on then.

:lol: :lol:

Ow, that made coffee come out my nose!

:lol:

Here's a great article about the Chin Tiki.
http://www.metrotimes.com/editorial/story.asp?id=5431

A Tiki Cheers To You

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2005-01-31 12:23 ]

Tiki D,
You're just the one to submit a thread in "Locating Tiki" about the Chin Tiki.
Please do.

TD

Unga-

You're right, I need to sit down and do that. I could, and probably will, go on and on about how amazing the place is.

T

Hey Tiki D
Reminds me of my favorite movie Initial D. I heard that the owner of that Chin's is the owner of the other Chin. Are you a good friend of the owners and does he have mugs for sale. And anything tiki related happening in D-town at anytime.

I'm planing on going to the Dirty Show that is happening in the second weekend in February. Not tiki but tits just the same

T

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3954961304

I dont know about the Chin Tiki Mugs, but keep your eye out for this baby... the elusive Mauna Loa drum mug!

I used to comb the Detroit thrift stores looking for mugs from the Chin Tiki and the Mauna Loa, but never had any luck...

T
teaKEY posted on Wed, Feb 2, 2005 9:12 AM

I saw that in the Tikiquest. I like the drum idea for mugs but not crazy over handled mugs. How many mugs have you found in thrift stores tikifish. Anything fun happening.

T

I have had VERY limited luck in thrift stores, better luck at flea markets. I still much prefer to find my mugs in the 'wild' as opposed to on Ebay, it makes it much more fun for me. The thrill of the hunt. Although as some of you know I did break down and finally buy some Tiki Bobs because I knew the likelihood of me finding them in Toronto goodwills and sally ann's was about 477545638 to one, and I just LOVE Bob's smiling face.

(Bob by the way is modelled after a style of FANG tribe mask, I saw one in a store for 250 bucks that looked just like a giant wooden Bob... I may have to go back and haggle for that!)

Anyway, I'm drifting off topic. Where were we?

T

Here's one of the more rare Chin Tiki mugs:
http://www.tikiroom.net/gallery/marked/aff

Dr.Z owns this one.

TD
Tiki D posted on Wed, Feb 2, 2005 1:54 PM

AHHHH! Behold the mug of my dreams!

TD
Tiki D posted on Wed, Feb 2, 2005 2:00 PM

teakea-

I am actually not friends with the owner, I just happened to be driving by and they were doing some work inside and had the door open. I started yelling in and he came to the door and showed me around. I asked about mugs and he said that he had boxes of them but they went missing during the filming of Eight Mile. BOOOOO!!!

As far as Tiki happenings in the D, I haven't heard of much at all. I heard rumors of an event at Chin's in metro Detroit in June, but that is about it. I will keep you posted though.

okay...here's my contribution...for what it's worth......there are two chin's...the one downtown that is closed for now....and the one in livonia, mich. which is still open. A mug does exist.....Nancy hay from cat's meow has one in her collection. - It's way cool!! Nancy hosted a tiki art show last summer and an x-mas show there as well. the next detroit tiki event there will be in june when another tiki art show will be happening. As it gets closer, I'm sure you will see some posts about it with all the important info...these events are alot of fun....some of you tcers' were there at both events as vendors and visitors. Hope to see you all there again this year.....

Thanks for posting the pic, TikiHula. I had wondered if the mug looked like the tiki in the logo on the ashtray (it doesn't).

TD
Tiki D posted on Thu, Feb 3, 2005 8:14 AM

tipsy-

I was at the first event and it was a blast! I was out of town for the second though. The Chin's in Livonia is a pretty cool place but just doesn't compare to the downtown location. Marvin Chin, the owner loves these events and loves seeing people enjoy his restaurants. When I met him downtown he told me that seeing all of the people in his place during the filming of Eight Mile brought back a lot of memories. That is why he was thinking about reopening the place.

Sam-

The "ashtray" Tiki matches the swizzle sticks and the Tiki on the delapidated sign outside the building, but for some reason the mug is different.

Tiki D, I envy you getting to go inside. Anytime I went by, it was closed tight as a drum. I did take a few good pics of the exterior though.

Howsit going, Tipsy McS. I just figured out who you are... :)

http://www.samgambino.com

C
Chub posted on Fri, Feb 4, 2005 9:14 PM

Any other Detroit tiki folks ever hear of a restaurant in Dearborn called Cafe Hawaii? I found this tike pole at a yard sale in Chelsea, MI. two summers ago along with a ton of other cool items from the restaurant. I'd love to know who carved it.

C
Chub posted on Fri, Feb 4, 2005 9:20 PM

I'm guessing this pic has been posted on TC already, but just in case it hasn't, here it is. Since we're on the topic of tiki in Detroit, a cool shot of the Trader Vic's Detroit in the Statler Hotel.

chub, youve got a mai tiki by wayne coombs in florida.

C
Chub posted on Mon, Feb 7, 2005 7:38 AM

Thanks Chisel Slinger. I just looked at the Wayne Coombs web site and apparently the one I have is called "the Guard".

Thanks for everyones help. As of this morning, I now have the Chin Tiki mug.

coconut pete

TD

Congratulations Pete, you are very, very lucky.

If anyone else out there has any info on another, I am dying to get my hands on one.

Thanks-

On 2005-02-24 09:59, coconut pete wrote:
Thanks for everyones help. As of this morning, I now have the Chin Tiki mug.

coconut pete

How? details please. I love to hear great stories about Detroit mugs I want :)

-Z

I ended up trading some mugs for it.

coconut pete

T
teaKEY posted on Wed, Mar 2, 2005 3:24 PM

good deal?

K
KAHAKA posted on Wed, Mar 2, 2005 4:45 PM

This is totally off topic, but..

Tiki D- are you familiar with a radio DJ in Detroit named Arthur Penhallow? He's my uncle. I'm beginning to think I need to ask him if he's got any Chin Tiki mugs. Doubtful, but you just never know...

[ Edited by: kahaka on 2005-03-02 16:51 ]

TD
Tiki D posted on Thu, Mar 3, 2005 6:15 AM

Kahaka-

Yes, absolutely yes. He is like a living legend in this city! I usually listen to him on my way home from work. I really appreciate the thought, thanks for helping me out with this one.

On 2005-03-02 16:45, KAHAKA wrote:
...Arthur Penhallow? He's my uncle...

No kidding. I'm slowly starting to believe that TikiCentral is the wing nut that holds society together.

-Z

Pages: 1 36 replies