Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tiki Lamp from Kon Tiki

Pages: 1 4 replies

I found this lil' guy over the weekend. It's missing the shade, but I think I can piece one together from antique shop parts. It's the same one that appears in BOT pages 52,102 & 104.

I'm assuming that because I see this thing on every table in the BOT photos that it was used regularly in the Luau & Kon Tiki. Can anyone shed some light on this piece? Was it an exclusive Steve Crane Design? It sure looks like one when it's next to the salt & pepper shakers. Any info would be quite nifty.

Also, if anyone has a complete example, I'd love to see close-up pics of the shade to see what I should be looking for.

-Z

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

[ Edited by: Feelin' Zombified on 2005-01-30 20:00 ]

You lucky!!! The Luau Logo-Tiki lamp! I've been looking for one of those for ten years.

You are right in guessing that yours must have been from a Kon Tiki. The shade was brass with nautical rope glued around it. You probably have to make your own, those hurricane lamp shades are hard to come by. Tapa was used frequently, too.

REALLY? 10 years?hummmmmm. TD

A

This picture was taken at the Royal Hawaiian. They still have a variety of table lamps. As you can see this is very similar to yours.
Mahalo,
Al

...and nobody better get no thoughts, no-how!
BOT, page 186:

"...we must strongly discourage field collecting, which means ripping off artifacts from the few Tiki sites still in existence, whose already feable mana will be deplenished by such looting."

Pages: 1 4 replies