Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Johnny Carson and the Mai Kai

Pages: 1 7 replies

Johnny Carson was a fan of tiki, based on his affection for the Mai Kai.

With all the glamour, exotic drinks and, of course, beautiful women, the Mai-Kai became a magnet for celebrities. Some, such as Johnny Carson, were regular visitors and after-hours friends of Bob and Mireille Thornton’s. Carson and a few buddies — including Ed McMahon, who usually left around midnight — were especially fond of the fabled Mystery Drink ritual. When they ordered the drink, a gong was struck, and a sinuous Polynesian maiden silently delivered a huge, flaming bowl packed with 13 shots of rum while undulating before the lucky customer, placing a lei around his neck, then kissing him on the cheek before gliding away. Carson was so taken with the sensuous presentation he even featured a Mai-Kai Mystery Girl on The Tonight Show. The Mai-Kai continues to perform the Mystery Drink ritual to this day.

Near 5 a.m., Carson and his pals usually ended up at the Thorntons’ to play bumper pool, drink and party some more. On the wildest nights, Mireille and her husband wouldn’t get to bed until noon. She says of Carson, “He was very friendly and so funny. You see the personality he had behind the desk [on his show]? He was crazy like that.” On some nights, she recalls, “We raced in the pool to see who was the fastest swimmer with all our clothes on. Imagine these guys swimming with water pouring out of their shoes. I got in, but if you have a dress on, you swim slowly.”

http://www.citylinkmagazine.com/archives/070903coverstory.html

Here he is pictured with a Mai Kai dancer, in his early years:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/sfl-carsongallery,0,6568664.photogallery?coll=sfla-home-utility&index=3

[ Edited by: christiki295 on 2005-01-30 22:53 ]

Wow!! That is so F'in cool!!!!!! I have always been a huge Carson fan...and now I have another reason for bowing at the alter of Johnny. Who woulda known??..he's a fellow Tikiphile.

Last week during all the Johnny tributes, Ed McMahon was on Larry King Live and he was talking about one particular instance when he and Carson were hanging out in Ft. Lauderdale back in the early days of the Tonight Show. He didn't mention the Mai Kai, but now it all makes sense. Next time I'm there I will definitely raise a Mai Tai for Johnny. Here's to Carnac the Magnificent :drink:

By the way Christiki..that link to the shot of Johnny at the Mai Kai doesn't work. could you try posting it again?? would love to see that. Thanks!

My ass is fully kicked by this Carson/Mai Kai connection. Here is more info including a video clip from a local South Florida news broadcast with an interview with Mireille Thorton of the Mai Kai talking about Johnny. Must see...

http://cbs4.com/newslocal/topstoriesmia_story_024143823.html

And Heeeeere's Johnny (with a Mai Kai dancer as he arrives at Ft. Lauderdale Airport)

WOW!!! Thats fun!!! :D I DID NOT KNOW THAT! (did you know that Ed?)

YES!!!!!!!!

Despite what the "dancer" said, Johnny Carson was a very shy person. The picture here is one staged for the press and also for the benefit of the Mai Kai. My parents knew Johnny C and I remember them saying that he was a very shy individual, usually very quiet even at dinners. He didn't drink much and after awhile quit drinking due to health and other problems in his early 40's.

S
Swanky posted on Tue, Feb 1, 2005 5:32 PM

I tried to get Johnny to come to Hukilau. I wanted him to enjoy the excitement. He was to be an unannounced guest and just have fun. Maybe catch some King kukulele action. But, he was just impossible to get hold of.

D

He didn't drink much and after awhile quit drinking due to health and other problems in his early 40's.

In the '60 Minutes' interview Johnny did with Mike Wallace around '78 or '79 he said that he stopped drinking because it changed his mood too drastically. I'm sure it was for health reasons too, but he emphasized that booze 'changed him'. Sometimes they run the interview on TV Land on the 'Classic 60 Minutes' program. If you are lucky enough to live in or visit New York City, you can see that interview in the library at the Museum of Television & Radio.

On a related note...I heard that all of David Letterman's monologue last night consisted entirely of Carson penned jokes. I'm sorry I missed it. Dave did the monologue, and then revealed that it was all Carson material after coming back from the break. One of the jokes was something like 'Kerry threw his medals over the White House fence as a protest to the Vietnam war, while George W. Bush in the same act of protest during Vietnam threw his faulty Nat'l Guard Record over the fence.' ...or something like that. Thanks Johnny!!!

S

I spent a long lunch with Johnny's good friend Jack last Friday in Fort Lauderdale. I heard many stories of Carson and the Mai-Kai as well as Ed McMahon. But the real kicker was a video of the Mystery Girl on the Tonight Show! Jack was there, he got the Mystery Girl on the front page of the NY papers and was back stage when she went on. I am told the Mystery Girl was on twice, and I am also told she was on the Jack Paar show before that, but no one has confirmed that one.

So, if you want to see the Tonight Show circa 1962 with Sally Sewell the Mai-Kai Mystery Girl on it, come to Hukilau in April and see my Mai-Kai history presentation! You'll hear a lot more about this happening and be able to meet Jack and get his stories of Johnny as well.

Pages: 1 7 replies