Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

My First Large Scale Tiki Creation

Pages: 1 7 replies

HT

So, here is my first large scale tiki creation. It's not totally done, I still need to carve the weapons, and the shark teeth are on their way. BUT, it's done to a point where I can put mugs on it. So, not that you all wanted it, but here's the progress pics. I like it damn it. I still don't have full use of my hand, so it was a pain to do. It's my tribute to Vic, Witco, and Bosko. Here goes!

This is my initial drawing, done while my hand was in a cast.

This is the shield cut out of 1/2" plywood, covered in a cotton leopard print. I couldn't find the right leopard fur, and I was tired of searching, so I settled on a cotton print, and I'm happy with it.

These next two pictures are of my "shop." It sucks living in a one bedroom apartment. Oh yah, my neighbors LOVE me.

These are the shelves after the first coat of stain.

Closeups of the designs. (I know it's no Bosko, but it's my first attempt)

And of course, the final design, sans weapons.

Well? It's not fantastic, but I'm happy with it. Thanks for all your inspiration!!!

Very original, very cool, Hale Tiki. I really like that detail on the shelf edges. Keep those pix coming.

BTW - it's good that you unplug the sander before taking a bath.

Cheers!

A-A

B

Excellent work Haletiki, Especially with a bum hand. If that's your first, you should be Very Proud. Sign it and Keep it and take lots of pictures. Hang it on the wall securely as I'm sure you have heard the horror stories of Tiki Mug shelves crashing to the floor, and those mugs don't bounce,well maybe the little pieces do once or twice.
Really nice job.

Great stuff.I like the way you did the trim.Show us more.

[ Edited by: sonofabeach on 2005-02-04 06:58 ]

F

That sure does look nice. This is exactly why I love tiki. Anybody with a little ambition and vision can create the coolest stuff. Great job.

Are you going to cut weapons out of wood, or are you going to use some other method?

Also, what did you use to cut those cool designs in the front of the shelves?

TM

Very Cool! Great job, I really dig the details on the shelves.

HT

The detail was done with a dremel. I did a few shelves that got scrapped with a chisel (of which I didn't have the right size), and one done with a utility knife. I used to carve as a child, but when I moved away, left all my tools to my grandfather. (Background: In the mid 20th century, he and 4 of his pals started the oldest known "Carving Club" in the US. Beaver Valley Woodcarvers is their curent incarnation. There are now thousands of carving clubs across the US, and theirs has grown to some 500 members in 3 counties, with a large number of female members, though mostly it's old men.) So, I had to resort to the dremel. That, and my bum hand wasn't having the chisel. I'm going to carve the tools in a few weeks, when I have my hand back. I've got a nice pice of walnet to make the weapons from. They're not going to be the full weapon, merely the part that sticks out from behind the shield, so they'll be attatched permanently. I'm goin gto try to carve a small Marq on the lower half of the spear, which will be my first actual tiki carving. I've got in on teh wall now, with 3 hangers that support 75lbs each. I figure that's enough. Aloha!

HT

Here it is with almost all of my Tiki Farm mugs on it. I made it specifically for that. The space at the bottom is for the Pele Mug! That puts me up to 110 mugs!!!!

[ Edited by: Hale Tiki on 2005-02-02 17:26 ]

Pages: 1 7 replies